Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have just bought a brand new VR-7 Cee'd and have been mulling over servicing options.

The dealer is quoting a three year plan at about 24 quid per month. I know I can take it elsewhere but I am keen to have a courtesy car and maintain a good relationship with the dealer for possible warranty work, niggle fixes etc.

What have other people been doing and what prices have they been paying?

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Looked at this scheme and walked away. £24 a month for 3 years is £864. First 3 services are approx. £160, £280 and £240, total £680 saving you £184. It makes no sense to me, decided to put £24 into a special "car service" bank account with the intention of seeing how much is left in it after 5 years, the period we normally keep a car. If we are short the scheme was a good idea, will tell you in 4 years time.
Paul

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The deal they have quoted me is actually £24.30 + 31 x £24.22 making a total of £775.12. So still not looking as good as just paying as you go.... Although you do get puncture repairs and 10% off any other stuff that needs doing (which I would hope would be nothing on a new car under warranty. It doesn't look effective on paper but then again, fuel, food and insurance have shot through the roof over the past three year.Who's to say a service won't be £300 in 3 years time?

·
Registered
11 Posts
My local Kia dealer in Sc**thorpe (F. Cross) does a 3 year servicing plan for £350. I would shop around as another local one I tried wanted double that.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Done exactly the same as you for exactly the same reasons, although have kept our ageing Punto with our independent garage. Am paying £17 a month for our 08 SR7.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another (reasonably) local dealer has quoted me about £20 per month, although I don't get a courtesy car for first service as I wouldn't have a 'loyalty' card at that point !!??!!

Further to drive to but a saving of about 60 quid... Not sure I am that sold on it.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Was offered a much cheaper deal by another fairly local dealer, close to where the wife works. They wanted £16 a month but it was their own plan not Kia's. Knowing that it is critical fro the newest diesels to have the correct oil (5-30 fully synthethic C3) to preserve the dpf I asked what oil they used. Told it was just their normal bulk oil, when pressed he said it was semi-synthetic, same oil they used in Fords. Having had 3 Fords in succession I know they do not specify the same oil as Kia but the dealer was insistant it did not matter provided it was 5-30. Did not bother even though it looked a good deal, saving a couple of hundred pound is nothing compared to replacing a dpf and Kia would probably not pay under warrantyif they found out thewrong oil had been used.

The moral of the story is if the deal is cheap there is usually a reason, beware.

Paul

·
Registered
116 Posts
I spent a little time trying to get to grips with the various types of oil, and technically KIA could argue the warranty (in relation to engine problems) is void if the wrong oil was used.However, another advantageof using an authorisedKIA dealer is that even were they to use a type of oil that KIA wanted to argue about, the dealer would have to take responsibility!

I did ask mine what they used, and the answer was 5/30, either Ford or Fuchs. The main reason for the question was to determine what I should keep and use as top-up. This, of course, could be argued as being overly-obsessive, not least because a very small percentage of one type/brand added to the existing type is not going to make any real odds. And short of intense laboratory analysis, how could it be discerned?!!!

In summary, run (literally) with whatever your dealer says / uses. Then he carries the (oil) can in the event of any problems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The £350 3 year Service Plan I have paid for is through an official KIA Dealer. It is not through any backstreet garage. This works out at less than £10 a month. I cannot understand how some of these other dealers get away with charging such high prices.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Kia are very specific about what oil to use in the handbook, for a dpf eqipped vehicle it must be ACEA C3, without a dpf ACEA B4. Viscosity is 5-30/40 or 0-30/40. They reccoment Shell Helix but all manufacturers have a pet brand, guess they get a better deal by putting their name in the handbook and on the filler cap. Having had 3 Fords in succession I can say for certain that Ford oil is neither C3 or B4, it used to be A1/B1, now its A5/B5.

Why would you want to allow a garage to put the incorrect oil in and if probelms occur have a situation where both Kia and the garage deny any liabilty. Putting the correct oil in only costs a few pounds more so why skimp.

In summary run what the manufacturer says. In the event of problems he cannot blame the oil. What if your garage ceases to trade, who would you go to then should Kia refuse a warranty claim.

Paul

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks for that info Steve. I'll print it out, as I'm not that versed to that degree.

But before I "challenge" them, especially as they are a well established Group, rather than individual / indy dealer, what is the Fuchs specs? Could be that, as they are dealers for Ford, KIA, Mazda and a couple of others, I don't want to ask why they are using Ford, and they turn round and say they are Fuchs for KIAs. I'll also re-read what my handbook says, as I don't recall them specifiying a brand - Shell.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Following on from this thread, I have the owners' manual here and have 2 pages refering to "Recommended lubricants..." pages 8.4 and 8.5. Nowhere specifies Shell or any other brand. I don't understand the letters and numbers, but it states on page 8.5 " SAE5W-20, 5W-30 (API, SJ, SL / ILSAC GF-3).
On 8.4 it states "API Service SL or above, ACEA A3 or above.... Are we talking at cross purposes as that refers to petrol engine, which is what mine is.

This is way too techy for me (except the grades). Dang, the KIA dealers' mechanics should know all this surely - It's what I'm paying them for!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
This should explain it, the important info is on page 5, pages 7, 8 & 9 show the test results for the different specs. http://www.acea.be/images/uploads/pub/070308_ACEA_sequences_2007_LD_and_HD.pdf
It is simpler with a petrol engine than a diesel, no dpf to worry about but a Ford spec oil was ACEAA1/B1, now A5/B5 which is simply a replacement spec, Kia oil for a petrol is ACEAA3 just as you say. The two are different from each other, guess that's why there are all the different specs.

Think I know which dealer you are talking about, the same one that puts Ford spec oil into Kia diesels.

Fuchs is an oil manufacturer, pretty sure they make the Ford brand oils which is why they get a mention.

When I was young we all used 20-50 oil and simply argued whether Castrol GTX or Duckhams Q was the best.

You are correct when you say that the dealer should be sorting all this for you but the garage in question issimply buying one bulk oil in and using it in all the cars they service. Since they service way more Fords than Kias guess who gets the correct oil.

Paul

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great replies guys, loads of info, even if I don't understand it!

I can't understand the disparity in prices for servicing though. I used to live in Grimsby but to be honest I don't fancy the trip back out there for a service!

·
Registered
116 Posts
If it's any consolation, I'm discovering (a famous quote, but can't remember the source) "The more you know, the more you know you don't know..." I'm now regretting trying to get to the bottom of the technicalities of "oil". But I'm still thinking that going to an authorised KIA dealer, and hoping they put the right stuff in, is a better bet than going to a local general garage who possibly hasn't even seen the underside of any KIA, and 5/30 is the time you sit down for tea.

Price disparityis simple: no matter what product or service you want/need in life there will be a price range from the "cheapest knocked off, dodgy made in bogobongo" end, to the "outrageously over-priced genuine (got a fancy label) served on a silver platter" end. The truism "If it's too cheap tobe true, it probably is" generally holds well. So too for the other extreme - "They must have seenhim coming...." I could start getting all philosophical about "no guarantee in life", etc. but I suspect you've got better things to do than ponderover the mysteries life when this is, afterall, only a forum about KIA cars!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, you are right David. It's such a minefield isn't it though. I just want a bit of certainty, pay a fair price and not have to worry about hidden gotcha's...

I don't believe it spoiling the ship for a ha'peth of tar but I don't want to be taken advantage of either.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Kevinseddon

Spoke to your dealer, was quoted approx. £16 per month for a service plan, less than Kiabut a lot more than you are paying. Their prices quoted for a one off service are also competitive but most of the saving would be used upby travelling and time, just not as convenient as my closest dealer.

What worried me most was their lack of knowledge again about what oil a dpf diesel requires. Would rather pay a few pounds more to a dealer that informs you that a MY11 Ceed CRDi is slightly more expensive to service than a MY10 and earlier because of the oil type needed.

Paul

1 - 20 of 20 Posts