Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have a 2017 2.0 Diesel Sportage GT S Line due a 40k major service. Kia is quoting £358, on the website Clickmeamechanic (They search all local garages for the same service) I am getting quotes from £170 upwards. (Some using genuine parts).

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of what is done in this service (No it's not in my owner's book or service log) And any thoughts on using a company other than Kia for the service?

Thanks

·
Registered
281 Posts
my 2017 GT line owners handbook lists what should be done, section 8? ;)

Search the forum many threads on here discussing the potential issues when servicing outside the Kia network.

Why buy a car with a seven years warranty? Kia servicing is not that expensive.😂

·
Registered
279 Posts
It is why you have a seven year warranty. To support dealers and their showrooms. It is just the way life is but they will wash it for you but there is no , what I call, preventitive maintenance. I found after 7 years of service bleed brake niples rusted tight. I would never have left my car like that when I service my own.
But it is a gamble and I did ot take it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my 2017 GT line owners handbook lists what should be done, section 8? ;)

Search the forum many threads on here discussing the potential issues when servicing outside the Kia network.

Why buy a car with a seven years warranty? Kia servicing is not that expensive.😂
Thanks, I shall recheck my handbook. I haven't an issue with paying a fair price, but I am not gullible enough just to take the quoted cost at face value. I have gone back to the dealer to request a more competitive quote.
My understanding is that so long as genuine parts are used the warranty will remain unaffected, but again I will check.

·
Registered
335 Posts

This might be worth a shout for comparison purposes.

I discovered it last week when I needed to book my son's Golf Gti in for a service and MOT. Worked like most comparison websites and came up with a list of comparable prices filtered from cheapest to most expensive.

The cheapest was "Secret service" which meant absolutely nothing to me and I was about to discount that from the result altogether!

Cut a long story short though, this turned out to be a main dealer "masquerading" for obvious reasons as an independent.

The outcome was excellent. Main dealer service with all the trimmings including visual inspection video report etc all at independent price (the cheapest as well).

His car is out of warranty so this was not a consideration. That would be my only reservation as I would not wish to invalidate my 7 year warranty as I aim to keep my current car at least that long!

Anyway, you might find the link useful.

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
And any thoughts on using a company other than Kia for the service?

Thanks

Make sure that you get a fully itemised invoice with Kia part numbers on it. Make sure dealer is VAT registered.

I would also take some of the quotes from the sites that give quotes from various garages with a pinch of salt. Odds on the cheaper ones will not do a full service as per Kia schedule.

Try here as pricing can vary between local Kia dealers.

Personally if I was going out of Kia dealerships for a service. It would be to a garage that I trust, or had personal recommendations on. Not one that is touting for work on a website, as the good ones are always busy.

End of the day it is how much do you value the 7 year warranty and the risk that a cheap service & a service related issue ending up with a declined warranty claim.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
And any thoughts on using a company other than Kia for the service?
While some KIA dealerships are better than others, the same applies to independent garages. I could understand you using independents if your warranty was already compromised but if the servicing schedule is spot-on, while you might save a few quid by having work done by an independent, I fear you may be storing up problems for the future as KIA will scrutinise any invoices from outside of the dealer network, looking to avoid warranty claims if they possibly can.

If you actually think the 7-year warranty is worth protecting, given that servicing is once-yearly for many, if not most, users, I think skimping on KIA dealer servicing is a false economy. I'm bound to say that £358 for a major service on a 2.0 litre Sportage seems very reasonable to me but others may see it differently. It's probably cheaper than many other comparable vehicles from other manufacturers.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I had an e-mail from one of these book on line companies when we had the Ceed. I had no intension of using them but just as an experiment I sent an enquiry. Got several replies but none were to the Kia schedule using Kia parts and spec oils. When you added that in they were pretty much the same price but of course no included the body check and stamp. To get that would have meant a trip to the Kia dealer and pay for the privilege. After that the service total would have been more than simply going to the Kia garage.

But beware, not all Kia dealers follow the schedule. Our dealer quoted us £160 for the first service and £230 for the 2nd. The next nearest quoted us £110 for the first and £180 for the 2nd. When I pressed him about what they did he confirmed that was to Fords schedule (their main business was a Ford dealer) using Ford oils. If we wanted the job doing to Kias spec etc it was another £50 each time making it exactly the same as our local dealer. Never asked about the body stamp, why would I use such an idiot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
having only just bought my 2018 Sportage it needed a service straight away as per the dash warning, it was on 30k miles so was due and it still had 1 service left on the service plan from the previous owner.
the first service in the book was recorded by 1 Kia main dealer, the 2nd service wasn't recorded in the book but all the paperwork was present, and 'my' Kia dealer stamped it for the 3rd service.
the cost of extending the service plan for a further 2 years is still less than a minor service on my previous car so im more than happy to pay Kia for that privilege even if they don't do all the service items thoroughly. The book is stamped and warranty intact with no room for claims arguments (other than the standard dealer excuses), in fact they are replacing the sunroof frame under warranty this coming week and have been absolutely great about it. A Land Rover dealer (my previous cars have mostly been LR/RR) would have made excuses til they were blue in the face.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts