Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2015 plate Venga, 1.4 Petrol. It already has 3 service stamps, and the dealer has offered a service plan of £654.00 (or £24.22 for 27 months) for services 4, 5 & 6. What are your thoughts in terms of costs?I've seen other threads regarding service plans and what items are actually serviceable and am still none the wiser. The dealer did give me a list of service items for the next three services:

Service 4:
1.6 hours labour
Air Filter
Brake Fluid
Engine Oil
Fuel Filter
Oil Filter
Spark Plugs
Sump plug washer

Service 5:
0.7 hours labour
Engine Oil
Oil Filter
Sump plug washer

Service 6:
1.7 hours labour
Air Filter
Brake Fluid
Cam cover gasket
Engine Oil
Oil Filter
Sump plug washer

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had a service plan with EMAC on my previous Venga (current one has three years included) and I think the cost was about £21 a month so given that it was taken out about four and half years ago it seems pretty similar. One way to compare is to check the various service charges at a Kia dealer and work out the value that way. I liked the idea of paying monthly so I didn't have to worry about a big bill when it came to service. I did the same with a previous Sorento where the bills were bigger!
David

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
That sounds seriously expensive!

We've had 5 years service contract on my wife's 13-plate Picanto, total cost about £480 and we are about to top-up for another 2 years for a total of £256.

Our contract is the Care3 plan offered by our local dealer.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Our dealer, service plan for 4,5,6 has just quoted £774,over 3yrs and wow we get a whole £35 discount,not going to take it as possibly may change car and don't want to be tied to a plan.

K

·
Registered
32 Posts
I got a quote directly with Kia online for my next 5 services and it was £739.

Out of interest I got a quote from my local Kia dealer and they want £936.79!

·
Registered
188 Posts
nosmo said:
I got a quote directly with Kia online for my next 5 services and it was £739.

Out of interest I got a quote from my local Kia dealer and they want £936.79!

I believe when you book a service direct with Kia the cost is usually lower as they support the nominated dealer with a cheaper service kit.

·
Registered
445 Posts
JNever buy a Service plan unless it is a manufacturers one which can be used at any of their dealers.

Reason, if its a dealers plan and they go bust you will loose your money. Chap at work paid ££££'s for one on a Volvo. About 4 weeks later dealer closed his doors and at that was the last he saw of the service plan. Volvo had no interest since the contract was between my colleague and the garage. He had to pay all over again.

·
Registered
643 Posts
When I bought a Venga a few years back I purchased a 3 year service plan from the dealer. (Maidstone Kia). It was cheaper than paying for 3 individual services separately and it also included a body/paint check at each service and gave me a 10% discount on any parts that I might wish to buy from their parts department.

I purchased it on a direct debit, with monthly installments, which could be cancelled at any time and any money owing to me refunded.

When I sold the Venga nearly 3 years later I did cancel it and was refunded about 8 monthly repayments.

If you want to pay the whole lot up front then pay by credit card and you will be covered under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act if the firm goes broke.

Also bear in mind that if you buy the Kia Care service plan it is tied to the vehicle, not the owner, and if you sell the car (or it is written off) there is no refund, the service plan is passed on with the car.

Edited by: ItsOnlyMe

·
Registered
445 Posts
ItsOnlyMe said:
If you want to pay the whole lot up front then pay by credit card and you will be covered under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act if the firm goes broke.

Fair comment but the service plan was added to the purchase price and he paid for the car from savings thus no protection. We all called him an idiot which he seemed to take quite well. From memory the service plan was £1300 for 3 services.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Just purchased a 2015 plate Venga, 1.4 Petrol. It already has 3 service stamps, and the dealer has offered a service plan of £654.00 (or £24.22 for 27 months) for services 4, 5 & 6. What are your thoughts in terms of costs?I've seen other threads regarding service plans and what items are actually serviceable and am still none the wiser. The dealer did give me a list of service items for the next three services:

Service 4:
1.6 hours labour
Air Filter
Brake Fluid
Engine Oil
Fuel Filter
Oil Filter
Spark Plugs
Sump plug washer

Service 5:
0.7 hours labour
Engine Oil
Oil Filter
Sump plug washer

Service 6:
1.7 hours labour
Air Filter
Brake Fluid
Cam cover gasket
Engine Oil
Oil Filter
Sump plug washer

Your thoughts?
So after one year of ownership, it was service and MOT time, so thought I'd revisit this thread.
Service 4 (and MOT - pass) came to £348 in total.

Labour was 1.9 hours £161
Parts £91
MOT £45
VAT £51

All the items quoted above were carried out , except the fuel filter (not sure why, I didn't spot that until I got home).
Overall I'm pleased with the work carried out and the comprehensive paperwork that came with it, but thought the price was a little steep. I know it's the "bigger" of the services in the schedule, so what are your thoughts? A fair price to pay, or am I just a tight git? ?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I had 6 year service on my 2012 Venga 3 Auto in Feb. The experience was shocking (I did another thread about it) but price wise I paid £240 through My Kia booking. If I'd paid the dealer walk in off the street price it would have been £309
My items changed were as your 4 year service list and the fuel filter WAS done (it requires the rear seats lifting as the access panel is under there - it really should have been done if its listed.)
I can't see why a cam cover gasket would need changing on year 6 service schedule unless leaking- that seems an unnecessary item.
Also note that the pollen filter is only ever checked (or in my case not even examined) and it does affect air con efficiency. Its a 5 minute job if you do it yourself and you can get a decent make one from places like Eurocarparts. My dealer quoted £35 + vat to change the filter!!
If you consider that my 6 year service was the equivalent of your 4 year service and cost £240, even with the mandatory MOT price it is still a fair bit below the £348 you paid.
Overall I have to say that the price you pay for what you get with Kia dealers does seem a bit steep to me, but my experience was poor so maybe I'm biased negatively.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When I asked about service plan for services 1-3 at my dealer, i was quoted 680. They said paying separately it will be over 800. I then took out my mobile next to them and showed them Kia care plan 1-3 is £389 online on Kia website. So yeah i have a feeling that dealerships are usually trying to rip everybody off on their own service plans. I paid 389 in the end and got service plan document from Kia a couple of weeks later.

·
Registered
683 Posts
£1300 for 3 services.[/QUOTE said:
That is outrageous! the odd number ones are about £200 and the even number one about £300 ish.

Best get the official Direct Kia plan the Care 3 or Care 3 plus. Mine was about £620 for 5 services. But be sure you are going to keep the car because the service plan stays with the car if you sell it. It is not transferable to another car.

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
Just to expand on this quote.

CCA 75. Cover is for purchases over £100 up to £30K, any purchase over that is not covered. So Stinger owners would be out of luck.

So if the Volvo was over £30K and the service plan was included in the price paid, then it would not be covered. But if you paid it as a separate transaction it possibly could be. Subject to breach of contract or misrepresentation.

Now there is also a further option if it was included in the price. Visa & Mastercard have their own regulations ans this would possibly cover this case as non receipt of services, but you would need a breakdown of the costs. There are limited timescales re this 120 days, possibly extending to 540 in some cases of non receipt for things like travel & concerts or ongoing services.
Amax may have the same cover.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Just to expand on this quote.

CCA 75. Cover is for purchases over £100 up to £30K, any purchase over that is not covered. So Stinger owners would be out of luck.

So if the Volvo was over £30K and the service plan was included in the price paid, then it would not be covered. But if you paid it as a separate transaction it possibly could be. Subject to breach of contract or misrepresentation.

Now there is also a further option if it was included in the price. Visa & Mastercard have their own regulations ans this would possibly cover this case as non receipt of services, but you would need a breakdown of the costs. There are limited timescales re this 120 days, possibly extending to 540 in some cases of non receipt for things like travel & concerts or ongoing services.
Amax may have the same cover.

My dealer does not accept credit cards, Only debit cards and BACS transfers. Not even bank draughts! (Drayton Motors Kia, Swineshead Lincs, part of Wilson & co group)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Service number 5 today, done exactly as expected in my original thread (with the addition of new screenwash).

Labour = £68.00
Parts = £46.12
MOT = £44.95
1 new tyre = £60
VAT = £34.82
TOTAL = £253.89

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Bought a service plan 4 weeks ago.
the service plan cost me £1,018.19p for 4 services
and free MOTs when due for as long as I keep the car

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
the service plan cost me £1,018.19p for 4 services
and free MOTs when due for as long as I keep the car
Perhaps I’m out of touch with servicing costs but that seems a bit expensive to me, particularly if it relates to an area of the country outside of the home counties, where labour rates tend to be much lower than in the SE.

Some correspondents in these pages pooh-poohed when I bought a KIA 5-service plan for £609 on purchasing my Optima in November 2016, informing me that an inspection service, the odd-numbered ones, only cost typically £60-£80 inc VAT and as there would be only two major services in the plan, it was expensive!

I didn’t think it expensive then and three and a bit years on, I still think it was a good deal. However, I note that pre-paid or monthly subscription servicing agreements have seemingly become big business and charges seem to have risen exponentially. Only you can make a judgement in your area of the country as to whether or not pre-paying for servicing is a better deal than pay-as-you-go.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Thats for a 2.2 Kia Stinger
is it a good deal, in all honesty Im not sure ?.
but its what the dealer offers me and as I like to keep my service plan with the Kia dealer I thought no more about it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts