Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone seen the genuine Kia service kits on ebay, supposed to be a fair bit cheaper than buying from your local dealer, you ring them to get the right kit for your car, and for the milage of the service.
Can anyone tell me where the oil filter is located on a 2003 1,8 petrol Carens, and is it accessable from underneath with the car on ramps, also if you can get to it will it unscrew easily ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've got a 54 Carens and changed the filter last weekend. Its situated at the top of the engine underneath the brake master cylinder. I tried to get at the filter from underneath but I couldn't get a good enough grip on it with out the car rocking around so I decided to have a go from the top instead.
I had to remove the (oil?) cooler from above the engine, the plastic cowel covering the block, the timing belt cover and the anchor bolt holding a (fuel?) pipe in place on the body. Its probably best to unscrew the filter with a socket spannerand an extensionwith a filterremoving chain as even with all this stuff out of the way there isn't much room for manouvre. Once you get it loose you can do it with your fingers and it has just enough room to slip out of the gap you've created, with a bit of wiggling. The new one went in easy enough and because of the restricted space theres little chance of the filter being overtightened.

I'm sure more accomplished mechanics will be snorting with derision at this comedy potrayal ofthe replacement ofan oil filter, but honestly, don't knock it until you've tried it. In the absence of a proper workshop manual it really is a mystery to the amateur.I've still to locate a proper manual for a Kia of any sort let alone a Carens, so if anybody knows of one please drop me a line.

The whole experience took the best part of two hours by the way and this was having justdone the filter on my wife's Zetec just before. That took about three minutes and that was only because I dropped my spanner.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Diesels models from the top, the petreol 1.8 is underneath, above the driveshaft, be careful as it is a pain to get to, and if the cats hot you may burn yourself!

The diesel carens is a pig, but once you've done a few hundred you get the knack!
Easiest way i have found, remove the intercooler hose at back, and push out of way, look down ,theres a small bore water hose, lossen clip and pull hose of, this gives enough room to change filter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts