Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have just purchased an approved used Kia picanto. It had its first service early January just before 9000 miles
The service handbook states that second service is due at 24 months or 20000 miles. I do low mileage so that would mean next service due end of march 2021 when the car is 24 months old. But that would mean about 14 and a half months between service one and service two. Would the warranty be preserved? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,389 Posts
Assuming that dealer has serviced early. Is March when car was registered?

Pretty sure its from date of registration. So you should be able to wait till march. But I would check with dealer.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Most car makers say that if ther service has been done early you'd do the next service 12 months after the previous one, so early january again.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Most car makers say that if ther service has been done early you'd do the next service 12 months after the previous one, so early january again.
as in the OP`s instance too, It will be due 12 month (or 2000 miles) from the last service

I`m not sure if there is say a week or so leeway on the date of the service due, I know mine was actually serviced almost 2 weeks after the due date, this being due to the dealer not able to fit me in,some say i should have booked it in earlier, that i was not able to do as i didnt know my work schedule early enough!!

;)

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Most manufacturers allow the service to be up to a month or 1,000 miles late.
Unless there is a clear printed reference to such tolerance in the owner's handbook which accompanied the car from the factory, then no-one should rely on that frequently-mentioned remark. It should be regarded as an urban myth.

In reality, most dealers will happily take a customer's money to service a car at any time but if a problem ever arises during the warranty period, whether or not a warranty claim by the customer is supported by the dealer is purely within the gift of the dealer. It works like this: The payment that the dealer would receive from KIA for the workshop time and accommodation of the vehicle involved in warranty work represents a loss compared to other more profitable business that could be undertaken.

That simple factor will sway some dealers to pass the claim up to KIA UK, noting that the vehicle's service record is incomplete or out of compliance. In the case of a car purchased from that dealership and regularly serviced there, or at least within the KIA network, then the case for action under warranty is sound.

The problem for some is that often a vehicle is purchased 2nd or 3rd-hand from a non-franchised source and when disaster occurs, the owner turns up at a KIA dealership making claim under warranty when the vehicle has never seen the inside of a KIA dealership since first purchased and has a sporadic service history, at 'under the arches' garages, if at all. Clearly, a KIA dealer would be less than enamoured by a customer demanding warranty work, even if he claims that missed services were by previous owners although full of good intention for future servicing arrangements.

Some dealers are more sympathetic than others when faced with warranty claims but it's not difficult to understand that when most mainstream manufacturers' warranties expire at 3 years, KIA's is good for a further 4 years and all they ask is that the vehicle is maintained in compliance with the laid-down schedule in the handbook.

On a personal basis, I know that there are many excellent independent repairers around the country but there are KIA dealerships in all areas so no-one should be terribly far from one. Leaving aside the geography, KIA's labour charges are among the lowest among mainstream car brands so one might question the savings that are made by using an independent. It may be the case that a few quid can be saved compared to the KIA dealer but as servicing for most owners is a once-yearly occurrence, is that saving really worth it?

I'd sooner pay a KIA dealer a little more and have an unblemished service history than have the worry, when an engine or gearbox explodes, about whether a warranty claim will succeed because the car has been serviced elsewhere with unknown oils, fluids, filters, etc.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I'd agree on not relying on there being any tolerance for late servicing unless you've seen it in writing. I did find this for Hyundai. Has anyone seen anything similar for Kia?

I have missed one of my services. What happens now?
We allow 600 miles or one month either side of the expected service date. If the service is not carried out within this time, and if the fault that has occurred is diagnosed as being caused by the incorrect servicing or missed services, then your vehicle's warranty may be affected.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Unless there is a clear printed reference to such tolerance in the owner's handbook which accompanied the car from the factory,...
I'd even be wary of that. My car service book, supplied with my car, says that my car should be serviced every 2 years/20,000 miles. It was only through this forum that I found out that the UK is different, and that my handbook was wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the responses. Is there anyone from kia that can provide an official answer. The service book says 24 months for service 2 doesn't say anything about a 12 month gap if service one was early.

Incidentally it did come with a letter saying warranty will be preserved if service is late by up to one month or 1000 miles.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've just bought a 2019 ceed with 5000 on the clock . Registered March 2019. Would it be due for it's first service now? Can anybody give me an idea of the price of the service if needed , and am I ok to go to any reputable independant garage without it affecting my warranty in any way ?

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've just bought a 2019 ceed with 5000 on the clock . Registered March 2019. Would it be due for it's first service now? Can anybody give me an idea of the price of the service if needed , and am I ok to go to any reputable independant garage without it affecting my warranty in any way ?
Yes, it'll be due in March.

Get a price here: Book a Kia Service Online | Kia Motors UK

·
Registered
312 Posts
To maintain the warranty the garage will need to source all of the relevant kia specs/oe parts and document them in the paperwork. If they don't, you risk invalidating your warranty.
Imo, the first service won't cost much, they do very little, so you're best going main dealer. Maybe for the more expensive servicing it will be worth going independent but as above, a simple stamp is not enough for the warranty.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If you put your reg. no. into the KIA service booking page here,

you can see what any dealer you choose will ask for the appropriate first service.
Whilst you can carry on and book via that KIA website, you do not have to.

·
Registered
6 Posts

you can see what any dealer you choose will ask for the appropriate first service.
Thanks for that .

·
Registered
6 Posts

Thanks for that . I've already booked up now with kia for the first one but will use my normal one next time .

·
Registered
6 Posts
To maintain the warranty the garage will need to source all of the relevant kia specs/oe parts and document them in the paperwork. If they don't, you risk invalidating your warranty.
Imo, the first service won't cost much, they do very little, so you're best going main dealer. Maybe for the more expensive servicing it will be worth going independent but as above, a simple stamp is not enough for the warranty.
Thanks for the tip !(y)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts