Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just purchased a used 66 plate Sportage 1.7, current millage is 46k. Car was first registered September 2016 and has 3 main dealer stamps in the book, 1st service was on 15/5/17 at 10,900 miles so that less than a year old. 2nd service was on the 24/9/18 at 24 months and dealer forgot to log millage but this service was more than 12 months from the last but also exactly 24 months from when car was new. Last service was on the 10/6/19 millage 41,890 so again less than a year from the last one and less than 36 months old. We purchased the car from a large independent dealer but not main dealer although funnily enough they are actually next door to Kia, when we collected the car we where told it had a fresh mot which it has plus they had serviced it, i noticed they forgot/didnt stamp the book but not worried as we intended to get it done at main dealers anyway in September at 48 months. I presumed the next scheduled service would be September this year and be service 4 when the car is bang on 4 years old, however this would then be more than 12 months since the last service but still only going to be around 50k on the clock by then. The previous dates seem oddly spaced out and not every 12 months with the 1st being early, 2nd at 24 months and 3rd early again. thought on this please

·
Registered
190 Posts
If this vehicle is a diesel, service regime is 20k miles or 12 months whichever occurs first.
1st service should have been an inspection only (no oil & filter change) due to mileage, so why was it done in may 17?
2nd service (oil & filter service) should have been done no later than 12 months from the 1st service.
3rd service (inspection or oil & filter) should have no later than 12 months / 20k miles from the second.

Basically a very dodgy service history, were the services carried out by Kia?, if not it could affect Kia's response to any warranty claims.

Personally if not too late I would be walking (running) away from this vehicle unless its super cheap & you are prepared for the warranty risk. :(

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sorry mis-read your post, you already have the vehicle. I would be querying the service history with the supplying dealer?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks, all services are Kia main dealer all same dealer and signed, stamped and with reference numbers in the book also had the body inspections in the book. Only thing im wondering is on the first service did the they accidentally put 15/5/17 in the book instead of 15/9/17 which would have been at 12 months, then that would make the next service at 24 months correct on 24/9/18 although doesn't explain the 3rd servive being early again. I think i need to contact the Kia dealer first and see what they say as they should have records. The car is like brand new and we are very happy with it hence why we intended to carry on with the main dealer history. We have it on a PCP plan.

Attachments

·
Registered
619 Posts
It seems odd that the 1st service is out of step. It might be worth contacting the dealer who did the services and see what their records show.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah ill call tomorrow if they are open, does seem a bit odd though

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
How many previous owners does log sheet show. If it was first a Kia lease car with one of the major rental companies ie europcar ect, these are returned before 12 months or 12,00 miles. If it was then sold it would of had its first service on date of sale. My son in law was a director of a major rental company and all the vehicles of whatever manufacturer went back before 12 months old many having only 8,000 miles on the clock. These cars then go to main dealers to be sold. The give away is the registration plate. Not registered in the area of the dealer selling it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
How many previous owners does log sheet show. If it was first a Kia lease car with one of the major rental companies ie europcar ect, these are returned before 12 months or 12,00 miles. If it was then sold it would of had its first service on date of sale. My son in law was a director of a major rental company and all the vehicles of whatever manufacturer went back before 12 months old many having only 8,000 miles on the clock. These cars then go to main dealers to be sold. The give away is the registration plate. Not registered in the area of the dealer selling it.
I was under the impression, and please correct me if I'm wrong, the selling dealer had to reveal the cars previous use if it had been a rental car. In our area a dealer, one of the large national companies, was taken to court for not revealing a car they sold had been a hire car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks, all services are Kia main dealer all same dealer and signed, stamped and with reference numbers in the book also had the body inspections in the book. Only thing im wondering is on the first service did the they accidentally put 15/5/17 in the book instead of 15/9/17 which would have been at 12 months, then that would make the next service at 24 months correct on 24/9/18 although doesn't explain the 3rd servive being early again. I think i need to contact the Kia dealer first and see what they say as they should have records. The car is like brand new and we are very happy with it hence why we intended to carry on with the main dealer history. We have it on a PCP plan.
Hi

When I bought my 2019 1.6CRDi it was 9 months old and the dealer gave it its first service as part of the deal ( I didn't ask for it they just did it which could explain why your car was done early ) the mileage was 14,745. The service booklet states the next service is due at 24ths or 40,000 miles from date of first registration, then 36mths or 60,000 miles from date of first registration and so on. The car was first registered on the 4/4/2019 therefore the next service is due either on the 4/4/2021 or at 40,000 whichever comes first.

I would see what your service booklet says if it is the same as mine then I would say the next service is due in September this year unless you manage to reach the 80k mileage mark !

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Cars that go to rental companies are leased to them. That motor then could of been rented by one individual for the period or to many people. Therefore it is leased to one company as many cars are. So log will only show one owner just as a demonstrator will. A motor that has been used as a hire motor ie taxi has to be disclosed.

·
Registered
463 Posts
were the services carried out by Kia?, if not it could affect Kia's response to any warranty claims.
For clarification, services DO NOT need to be carried out by Kia and Kia would be breaking the law to refuse a warranty claim based on this.
Here's a response to servicing I got from Kia CS in writing.

"If serviced outside Kia, they should keep all invoices showing part numbers and lubricant details.
Incorrect maintenance (for example a late or missed service) will not automatically invalidate the warranty
However if any faults can be directly linked to incorrect maintenance that particular claim may be rejected"

In other words, Kia won't automatically turn their back on a car that doesn't have an exemplary service record.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi

When I bought my 2019 1.6CRDi it was 9 months old and the dealer gave it its first service as part of the deal ( I didn't ask for it they just did it which could explain why your car was done early ) the mileage was 14,745. The service booklet states the next service is due at 24ths or 40,000 miles from date of first registration, then 36mths or 60,000 miles from date of first registration and so on. The car was first registered on the 4/4/2019 therefore the next service is due either on the 4/4/2021 or at 40,000 whichever comes first.

I would see what your service booklet says if it is the same as mine then I would say the next service is due in September this year unless you manage to reach the 80k mileage mark !
Thanks and yes my book is 12 months 24 months 36 months etc etc or at every 20,000 miles so that would make September the next service date at 48 months old

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Has one previous owner but cant check who as waiting for log book and i didnt ask at the time "DOH" could well be some sort of rental place i guess. To be honest that wouldnt bother me as the condition is pristine inside and out. We did view another car at the same dealer, a 2019 Nissan Qashqai with 27k on the clock, dealer told me it was an ex lease car and that chances are it only had one driver. We liked the Sportage more especially driving them back to back :)

·
Registered
463 Posts
Oh, another thing.
Anyone wondering if Kia keep centralised service records for their cars, the answer is no.
TBH I don't know if other manufacturers do or not, I just assumed in this day and age of data recording they all would.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh, another thing.
Anyone wondering if Kia keep centralised service records for their cars, the answer is no.
TBH I don't know if other manufacturers do or not, I just assumed in this day and age of data recording they all would.
I know that Mini store service info on the key or they did when we had one, it can be read at any dealer if you take the key in

·
Registered
463 Posts
I know that Mini store service info on the key or they did when we had one, it can be read at any dealer if you take the key in
I remember that from my Mini and both my 3-series.
But wasn't sure if the data was kept at the dealer or centralised.
To me, these days, a prospective customer should really be able to call a manufacturer and check the service history of a car without having to know which dealer may have serviced it.
The daughter's Picanto was bought from a car supermarket, no stamped service book.
But, luckily, I did find a letter in the glovebox from the dealer and got them to confirm the service record on email.

·
Registered
619 Posts
It seems strange that Kia doesn't keep a centralised record of the cars service history. It would be great if you could log onto My Kia and see all the previous service history, no need for a book. Wishful thinking... :unsure:

·
Registered
463 Posts
It seems strange that Kia doesn't keep a centralised record of the cars service history. It would be great if you could log onto My Kia and see all the previous service history, no need for a book. Wishful thinking... :unsure:
Agreed, it would also help them process warranty claims better.
BUT, as I said before, I'm not sure if any manufacturers centralise service records.
You kinda just assume they centralise data these days.

·
Registered
447 Posts
BUT, as I said before, I'm not sure if any manufacturers centralise service records.
You kinda just assume they centralise data these days.
Yes they do. VW were doing it in the 90's, BMW 12 years ago, Seat in 2013 and considering we have 2 Skodas I know for a fact that they centralise records.

When we had the Ceed I asked what would happen if we broke down away form home and needed a warranty repair but did not have any service records with us. the dealer said that the dealer who had the car for repair would ring the dealer who had acrried our service work to get copies of the records needed to process the repair under warranty, In the 21st century I could not believe that Kia could not have a central record.

Wifes Fabia was serviced last week and you are given a print out of the central maintenance record when you collect the car. They do this instead of providing a service book but we got a service book with the car so its belt abd braces should evidence be needed. The record they gave us covers the Delivery inspection, the oil service last years and the inspection service last week.

I honestly wonder if Kia do not have the centralised record hoping it will be a way of weaselling out of warranty repairs.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Volvo centralise service records. The second service record is blank in my V60 service booklet, however at service number 5 Shrewsbury Volvo were able to confirm within a couple of minutes the date and mileage of the 'missing' service, plus that it had been done in Bristol. I am surprised that Kia do not centralise records in this way!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts