Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Anyone here using the self charging Nero 4. We are looking at buying one next. Just wondering if anyone has opinions. Whats good whats not so good ?
Thanks

Super Moderator
What sort of age are you looking at.

Had mine 3 months now. Done about 1300 miles. Seen Ave MPG gone from 46 to 50 (reset when bought car). Descent length trips get about 55 mpg. But most of mine are 10 to 20 miles and see around 40 mpg. Warmer weather really helps to boost mpg, as ICE does not need to kick in when starting to heat car.

Not a big fan of single trip mpg, but this is this weekend trip for holiday. 3 people, 2 dogs, roof box & a boot full (mobility scooter)
Inc a good 100 mile @ 70MPH.

Fill up before trip gave range 410 miles, fill up after trip gave 505 range :)

Registered
Have a 2018 Niro 4. Nice drive, very economical. Had the cam indicator replaced on warranty last year. Drive-able with the fault but lumpy. Manual handbrake annoying but don't use it just select park.Replaced by auto parking brake in 2019 and auto cruise control upgraded for stop start traffic in the same year. I'd buy another one but no need as mine is still good for another four years until the warranty runs out.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, Anyone here using the self charging Nero 4. We are looking at buying one next. Just wondering if anyone has opinions. Whats good whats not so good ?
Thanks
[/QUOTe
What sort of age are you looking at.

Had mine 3 months now. Done about 1300 miles. Seen Ave MPG gone from 46 to 50 (reset when bought car). Descent length trips get about 55 mpg. But most of mine are 10 to 20 miles and see around 40 mpg. Warmer weather really helps to boost mpg, as ICE does not need to kick in when starting to heat car.

Not a big fan of single trip mpg, but this is this weekend trip for holiday. 3 people, 2 dogs, roof box & a boot full (mobility scooter)
Inc a good 100 mile @ 70MPH.

Fill up before trip gave range 410 miles, fill up after trip gave 505 range :)

View attachment 10264
Many thanks helpful reply

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have a 2018 Niro 4. Nice drive, very economical. Had the cam indicator replaced on warranty last year. Drive-able with the fault but lumpy. Manual handbrake annoying but don't use it just select park.Replaced by auto parking brake in 2019 and auto cruise control upgraded for stop start traffic in the same year. I'd buy another one but no need as mine is still good for another four years until the warranty runs out.
Thank you that gives me confidence

Registered
My 18-plate Niro 4 HEV is used mainly for trips of 1-5 miles at present, with a weekly round trip of 28 miles to the golf course. The MPG is about 45 in winter but with the warmer weather has risen to about 56mpg. In the "real" summer I regularly get about 62, with more on long journeys staying within the speed limits.
The only criticism I would make is that it doesn't have "cornering lights", where the fogs are automatically switched on nor does it have automatic dipping of the headlights, both of which I had on hte previous car a Hyundai i30 midrange model. Surely Kia had access to the same parts-bin?

Super Moderator
My 18-plate Niro 4 HEV is used mainly for trips of 1-5 miles at present, with a weekly round trip of 28 miles to the golf course. The MPG is about 45 in winter but with the warmer weather has risen to about 56mpg. In the "real" summer I regularly get about 62, with more on long journeys staying within the speed limits.
The only criticism I would make is that it doesn't have "cornering lights", where the fogs are automatically switched on nor does it have automatic dipping of the headlights, both of which I had on hte previous car a Hyundai i30 midrange model. Surely Kia had access to the same parts-bin?
"4" 2020 certainly does have auto main beam switching. Most Ki's I have had do not activate fog lights on cornering. They have a dedicated bulb in the headlight.
Not sure on "4" we have as not driven in the dark yet...

Registered
Even the 2020 2 model has auto dipping head lights!

Registered
Even the 2020 2 model has auto dipping head lights!
You ae correct about the cornering lights, sorry. I was, and still am, a bit miffed regarding the lack of autodip - bad omission on the then top of range model!

Registered
Thanks
There is no such thing as a self-charging hybrid it is a marketing term that is an industry joke. Even Toyota have finally given up and and announced a series of battery electric vehicles after resisting for several years. The battery is charged off a petrol engine, the energy comes from the petrol tank so it's a petrol car. The e-niro is such a fantastic vehicle there is no reason to get anything else except for the fact that they are about to launch an electric Sportage. These cars can go 250 miles and more which is far longer than your bladder can hold outand they can rapid charge at the service station. Test drive a battery electric vehicle; they are a different animal. Nobody gets out of one and wants to buy a petrol car. Have fun!

Super Moderator
There is no such thing as a self-charging hybrid it is a marketing term that is an industry joke. Even Toyota have finally given up and and announced a series of battery electric vehicles after resisting for several years. The battery is charged off a petrol engine, the energy comes from the petrol tank so it's a petrol car.
So where does the energy from regen braking go then?

I have a hill near us where using regen alone (engine is OFF) so it is not being charged by that. That will take me from half to full battery :)

So it is a self charging car :)

Reactions: Llanigraham

Registered
What's the real world range added rolling down a hill? Can you drive on it with the engine off too? I can do the same with my battery electric but I'll never need to go to a petrol station again. ;)

Super Moderator
What's the real world range added rolling down a hill? Can you drive on it with the engine off too? I can do the same with my battery electric but I'll never need to go to a petrol station again. ;)
That is the whole point of Self Charging Hybrid. It turns the engine off and runs on battery power alone. Sure it is not far, max seems to be 3 miles, but it will then charge battery up again and do the same.

I can not make the maths work on spending a extra 拢18K on the E-Niro on my sub 6K miles a year. Compared to either Hybrid or the PHEV. But no PHEV for sale at the price I paid, when I changed my car.

Registered
That is the whole point of Self Charging Hybrid. It turns the engine off and runs on battery power alone. Sure it is not far, max seems to be 3 miles, but it will then charge battery up again and do the same.

I can not make the maths work on spending a extra 拢18K on the E-Niro on my sub 6K miles a year. Compared to either Hybrid or the PHEV. But no PHEV for sale at the price I paid, when I changed my car.
Fair enough if the economics don't work for you, but for us the (zero) cost of petrol, servicing, congestion charge, and cheaper parking makes it cheaper overall. All EVs can charge regeneratively but all of that is recovering (some of) the energy from motion you already created burning petrol. To roll down the hill, you had to burn petrol to get up the hill in the first place. There's no free lunch. The one thing you could say is that if you are moving your car with the electric motor then at least the petrol engine is able to run in its most efficient rev range, irrespective of the vehicle speed, in order to charge the battery, however the maximum efficiency is probably about 30% and even burning hydrocarbons in a power station and then charging a car is better than burning them under the bonnet. Petrol engines are amazingly highly tuned marvels at the peak of their development but they're still the least efficient place to burn your dinosaur juice!

Super Moderator
To roll down the hill, you had to burn petrol to get up the hill in the first place. There's no free lunch. The one thing you could say is that if you are moving your car with the electric motor then at least the petrol engine is able to run in its most efficient rev range, irrespective of the vehicle speed, in order to charge the battery,
We live at the top of the hill, and there is a far more efficient and gentle way to get back home ;)
It's not rolling down though. The engine turns itself off, same as it does when car runs on EV, so engine is not charging the battery at that point.
In effect it is a EV.

To say the Niro is a lot bigger & heavier than my previous Stonic is a understatement. 1.6 & EV motor compared to 1.0 engine. Yet at the moment after 1300 miles is running at 10MPG more, with plenty more to come.
In effect it has better mpg than daughters Picanto.

Registered
There is no such thing as a self-charging hybrid it is a marketing term that is an industry joke. Even Toyota have finally given up and and announced a series of battery electric vehicles after resisting for several years. The battery is charged off a petrol engine, the energy comes from the petrol tank so it's a petrol car. The e-niro is such a fantastic vehicle there is no reason to get anything else except for the fact that they are about to launch an electric Sportage. These cars can go 250 miles and more which is far longer than your bladder can hold outand they can rapid charge at the service station. Test drive a battery electric vehicle; they are a different animal. Nobody gets out of one and wants to buy a petrol car. Have fun!
Cobblers!
How come I can be generating electricity when the engine isn't running? It happens regularly with my HEV.

And what use is a E-Niro for someone like me who tows a caravan?

(And for your information I'm a director of a CIC car share company that owns one Zoe and is just abouit to buy two more, so I know exactly how they drive!)

Reactions: iooi

Registered
Cobblers!
How come I can be generating electricity when the engine isn't running? It happens regularly with my HEV.

And what use is a E-Niro for someone like me who tows a caravan?

(And for your information I'm a director of a CIC car share company that owns one Zoe and is just abouit to buy two more, so I know exactly how they drive!)
He does have a point about the self charging bit, the charging while going down hill or when braking is only recovering energy that you have already put into the system. The thing that makes it more efficient is that this energy would just be lost in a petrol car, but in the hybrid it can be stored and used to increase efficiency.

Electric cars are getting better all the time, but are still too expensive for most people and aren't practical for others..

Super Moderator
He does have a point about the self charging bit, the charging while going down hill or when braking is only recovering energy that you have already put into the system.
"There is no such thing as a self-charging hybrid "

@kenp1 You have just described one perfectly :)

Does not matter if that energy would have been wasted in another car. We are talking about a Niro HEV here.

Registered
My point was that the self-charging part of the name is being used to make people believe it is better than a hybrid. Sounds much better than Petrol hybrid.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts