Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, got my new 2 lt diesel about 18 months ago, its been great only for a whining noise heard on start up (which started 6 months after buying the car),its lasts for about 25 seconds sometimes longer, it gets worse in the cold weather, took it back to garage three times but they dont know what it is...any thoughts??
Anyway, last week whilst driving to work the engine lost power and everything just cut out, got it into the side of the road, had to join RAC they came out and checked it , plenty oil and battery okay, waited for low loader to come and take it to garage £140.00 so far, had to get another car fromgarage so I could go into work late!!, had to call my insurance to cover me for loaned car , another £67.00 for the week, today I've insured it for another week!!.

garage said engine has seized, they took it apart and havetaken photos of it to send to Kia, the garage does not know whats happened to make the engine seize, any Ideas? its been serviced when it was due and has never been "off road" and has never been floored on the motorways so the engine has had it easy. anybody got any Idea why this should happen so I can let the "Mechanics"???? know to fix it.

By the way, got into work 5 hours late and £217.00 down as I had to put £10 worth in tank to get me to workplace.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, Yes the work will be done under warranty since its only 18 mths old, I will be trying to claim money back which I have been paying out to insure the courtesy car, but I won't hold my breath on that one, to be honest I dont have much faith in the garage, the whining noise that started when the car was 6 mths old is still there and thats after them replacing a part, they didn't have a clue,I got this one just as they were bringing out the new shape sportage which I didn't like, waited a couple of weeks for delivery, great car handles great in the snow.
Dont know if they will put a new engine into it as nothing has been mentioned,they are still scratching their heads 4 days later.My hubby thinks they will clean it up a bit and replace some of the parts, its only done 12000 mls so I think they will try to get it running again the cheapest way possible.

I asked hubby to look online top see if he could find out what might have gone wrong, so he joined this forum in the hope we might get some Idea.
Edited by: sportage xe

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope they get it fixed soon, they gave me a Kia Rio 1400cc, I've put £40 worth pertol in it this week alone,Can't believe it for such a little car, engine screams at 80mph, ended up in the slipstream of a Tesco lorry today, got all embarrassed when a "Smart car " came whizzing by at 70 mph lol.

Thank God the Rac man checked and confirmed the oul was okay, at least the garage can't blame me for the state the engine is in.Edited by: sportage xe

·
Registered
197 Posts
From the sound of it I would agree with St Troy that there has been an oil feed problem. The whining may have been the turbo protesting - it spins at 1000s of RPM so if it is starved of oil it would let you know (and why it is important to idle a hot turbo diesel for a few seconds before switch off). Perhaps the oil pressure was low due to a poor pump or a blockage somewhere in the oil system. When the engine stopped were you trying to accelerate? If you were asking for power and the oil pressure was low it could cause the bearings to run dry although seizing in a pretty extreme outcome.

Richard

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Richard, I had just left for work and was 5 mins away from my door, about 2 miles, I was doing about 45 mph when its started to loss power , managed to get it half on the verge and that was that, its always had a service when it was due (on the dot) and always at the Kia garage,when i mentioned about the whining noise they did not have a clue,had to leave car with them overnight so that they could hear the noise which only happened when engine was cold, they still didn't have a clue so got the car back the same way, took it back to them a month later as the whining was bothering me, one mechanic thought it was the alternator so they put a new one in but the whining continued right up till the morning the engine seized, some morning if it was frosty the whining would last for a couple of minutes and got worse when I was pulling away, once the engine was hot it was fine, I think you could be on the right track,its a pity you didn't work at the Kia garage, this might not have happened.
Debi

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for that Bob, I will be going over friday to find out what they are going to do about it, they called yesterday to say that nothing has been done and they have not found out why the engine has seized,that been 7 days now and no further forward, I think they are dragging their heels a bit on this one!.
Debi

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just thought I'd give a wee update folks, phoned garage today and they told me they intend taking the bottom half of the engine out this afternoon??????, its took 7 days for them to decide that?, is this not maybe a bit too long? they intend sending it away...what for?,have told them I'm going over friday to see manager, I am thinking they are definately dragging their heels,I thought i'd have it back after a week,now it seems like it may go on for another 2 weeks.
""what would you guy's say to the manager,""do you think its reasonable to wait this long with very little done?.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I would be looking for the manager to have a plan and some idea of how long it will take to resolve the problem. You've got a courtesy car - obviously you will want that to continue - but you could try for an upgrade given the amount of time that you have been without your proper car already - after all you bought a Sportage not a Rio for a reason! If it hurts the garage a bit more, they will try their best to sort the problem more quickly.

You could also ask to see the exchange of information between the garage and KIA UK....this could give you some more ammunition and what reasonable grounds would the manager have to refuse?

Take a look at this link and make the manager aware that you are aware of it:

http://www.kia.co.uk/owners/customer-services.aspx

At the end of the day you have bought an expensive car and had it dealer serviced - it let you down - you are the 'victum' here and you have every right to see the matter handled professionally, speedily and with your position as a valuable customer upheld.

Richard

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Richard
They have taken part of the engine out, they have also contacted Kia to see if it needs a new engine,had a heated discussion yesterday with the manager, me saying that the car was not prperly diagnosed when I put it in with the whining noise on two occassions, he said I should have brought it back again if the noise was still there.

the reason they did not treat my breakdown as priority was because "I had not booked it in" so in future I'll need to get the crystal ball out and book it in before it breaks down.

The manager also said to me over the phone "I hope you dont think we would erase records of the computer?, which I thought was very strange as we were talking about his mechanics at the time.

I'm still paying 67.00 a week for the insurance on the car they gave me but have got my teeth into them and will be taking it all the way if need be.

I have paid for three services with the garage, I have two to go then I'll just be going to another garage in future, I still like my car, even the best cars can have a major fault at a young age,but I just hope they do a proper job if they put a new engine in it which is looking more likely every day.

when my bmw went faulty ,bmw gave me a new car till mine was ready, no charge , all it cost was the fuel I used, I had that for nearly two weeks.

This manager told me he is doing me a favour giving me the courtesy car, and that he didn't need to do it! he also said other garages would not have given me a courtesy car and rhymed them off including bmw which I quickly put him right on that one!.

I'm not happy with the service I have been given, when I did have the car booked in with the whining noise they took 7 hours to replace the alternator, which in my opinion was not needing replaced, and sure enough the whining continued.

I will post the outcome although it may be some time, they did say I should have it back within the next two weeks but I won't hold my breath.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hmmm,

Yes there is no automatic right to a courtesy car but it is not an unreasonable expectation in these circumstances given that you bought the car from this dealer (new) and have always taken it to them for servicing.

My dealer always offers a courtesy car and all I have to do is replace the fuel used.

Kia has a 10 step service promise which includes listening to you - see: http://www.kia.co.uk/owners/~/media/general site images/owners/aftersales/kia_z-card_gb.ashx

Also under the SMMT code you could ask to have your warranty extended by the period that the car wasn't available to you.

Richard

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Richard

Garage said they would call yesterday but they never did, nor have they called today,will just have to wait and see if they call tomorrow,if they dont then I'll pay them a visit friday.
you never know the car may be ready. lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts