Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone fitted a towbar to a 2007 2.9 GS ?
If so a few questions :
1) What make of towbar and was it relatively straightforward ?
2) Did the rear bumper need to be cut ?
3) Did you use a specific Sedona towbar wiring kit ? (Cheapest I've seen is £127 on eBay)
4) Where exactly does the towbar wiring tie into the Sedona's wiring ?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Yes, bumper needs to be cut, you need to use the correct wiring kit as the lights are on a can bus system, splcing in the old way will cause electrical gremlins,

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Murphwiz,

Thanks for response - can you recommend a particular wiring kit (the one I mentioned @ £127 is advertised on Towequipe website, KI - SE- 77) or does it need to come from Kia ?
Where does it plug into the Sedona main wiring loom ?

·
Registered
662 Posts
if you use the witter bar you dont need to cut the bumper contact ryder via net they will advise on relevent wireing kit via a smart logic system

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Paul,
Based on your advice I'm looking at a Witter towbar (Model KA16). The summary page on the Witter website states no need to remove or cut rear bumper however the detailed fitting instructions for KA16 talk about doing both of these things. When you said the Witter didn't need the bumper cut was it the KA16 towbar and were you talking from personal experience of seeing one actually fitted before ?

Can you also advise where a dedicated wiring kit would plug into the Sedona electrics ?

Your earliest feedback would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Ian

·
Registered
3 Posts
Only just become a member so may be too late to help you, I have an o6 plate Sedona I purchased
s/hand off e-bay with a Towsure Eclipse tow bar already fitted, the bumper has not been cut out and this particular model has a detachable tow hook /ball assy.... a destinct advantage, if you have had tow bars previously you will know the pain one suffers when colliding with these immovable objects! I have had no trouble with the coupling towing my large van a Hobby 520TMF =1500 Kgs

Obviously cant help with wiring query.

Regards

John

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your feedback John.
I've opted for a Witter K16 flange towbar and a Sedona specific wiring kit (19100511RC) from PF Jones Towbars in Manchester. Cost is £117 for the towbar and £112 for wiring kit, £10 delivery= £239 in total).

Looks like I will need to make a small cut in the lower section of bumper but suspect the biggest headache will be working out how to access the back of the light cluster to plug it in to wiring loom and removing the bumper ... rest of it is just big mechano !

I actually like the permanent towbar fixture ... protects your rear bumper down the Tesco carpark when people nudge it as they attempt to park.

Will put another post in when I've completed the job.

·
Registered
662 Posts
you should not have to remove or cut the bumper we fit thease all the time to remove the rear lamps open tailgate remove two screws and push the light sideways (outwards)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Paul,

This is all music to my ears ! The interesting thing is that on the Witter website the summary sheet for the 2006 -> Sedona says you don't need to remove or cut bumper however the detailed instructions for the KA16 towbar state you do. Unfortunately Witter don't list any contact numbers so it is difficult to check which document has the error.

It's due to arrive today so next time we get a spell of good weather I'll give it a go and let you know how I get on.

Very helpful Owners Club and very much appreciate the advice ... many thanks.

Best regards

Ian

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Paul,

It can't be the Witter KA16 which your workshop is routinely fitting as there is no way it will go on without a rear bumper removal and cut. Fitted the left and right mounting plates without any problems but cannot work out how the bumper assembly comes off. Any details on how to remove bumper and any idea on how much for garage to complete the job with me supplying the already purchased Witter bar and a dedicated electric connector kit ie. just labour costs ?
The electrics are very straightforward but again it is the question of gaining access to bulkhead area behind the lights which I had expected to be an open cavity behind the light cluster but it's not.

Best regards
Ian

·
Registered
887 Posts
Fitted kia/witter bar, had to remove and cut bumper?
Also needed to remove side interior panels to access fuse box and light wiring to link into can bus system.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had "Towbar Services" in Fair Oak fit it for me this afternoon and I watched them do it so can confirm that as per Murpwiz note above :
1) The bumper does have to be removed and cut
2) The bumper bar (behind the plastic bumper) has to be removed then refitted
3) The plastic side panels on both sides at rear need to be loosened off enough to gain access for wiring connections.
4) The plastic cover on rear door base plate needs to come off (careful levering)
The dedicated electrics kit was very simple to fit and worked a treat.
Overall a relatively straightforward job IF you know how to remove the required bits of plastic without causing any damage to them .... if not, the DIY option may work out more expensive !

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know this is an old post but I am looking at having a towbar fitted to our 2007 model. I've been advised by all fitters to have a detachable due to reversing sensors, is this true? Should I be looking at about £400 fitted?
Many Thanks in advance
Edited by: Dazwilly

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine didn't have reversing sensors so it wasn't a problem however I understand that the towbar is likely to interfere with the standard reversing sensors hence the recommendation for a detachable one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
New here, but we have just got our second sedona, 2007 LS 2.9Auto. The dealer had a witter towbar fitted c/w twin electrics & so far there has been no interference with the reversing sensors :)

SteveN

1 - 16 of 16 Posts