Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
this is my first posting, as i've only recently bought a sedona 2.9 tdi 2001 reg.

I decided to have the timing belt replaced soon after as the mileage was high, 3 weeks later during the really freezing weather the engine siezed up ad snapped some rockers. after stripping it down twice and replacing the cylinder head with a new one, the engine starts but the exhaust fumes are coming out of the inlet!! having changed the position of the sprockets etc; redone the timing and now the engine turns but does not start.

I am at a loss as to what it is, and financially cannot afford to scrap the car or spend any more on it after purchasing 2 heads etc;

Please help!!

many thanks in advance

·
Registered
702 Posts
angel_eyes said:
Hi all,
this is my first posting, as i've only recently bought a sedona 2.9 tdi 2001 reg.

I decided to have the timing belt replaced soon after as the mileage was high, 3 weeks later during the really freezing weather the engine siezed up ad snapped some rockers. after stripping it down twice and replacing the cylinder head with a new one, the engine starts but the exhaust fumes are coming out of the inlet!! having changed the position of the sprockets etc; redone the timing and now the engine turns but does not start.

I am at a loss as to what it is, and financially cannot afford to scrap the car or spend any more on it after purchasing 2 heads etc;

Please help!!

many thanks in advance
The first problem where it was exhuasting out of the inlet was I would assume one(or both) of the cam shaft sprockets were out of time ie the sprockets have 2 keyways in them if you do not use the right keyway it runs but sucks in at the exhuast and vents through the inlet. If the belt snaps it's not normally need to buy another head just the alloy rockers. If you pm me your email address I'll snd you the chapter from the manual that shows which keyways to use when timing the engine up.

Ps write your email address out in full ie dotul or dotcom as the message system seems to cut the ends off.

·
Registered
22 Posts
these engines also bend the rocker shaft when the belt breaks but if you are certain that all the timing etc is good, then prime the fuel system and be sure that it is not uncommon to have to tow the car to initially get it started. once done leave it running for about 10~15 min and it should start no prob from then on.

·
Registered
702 Posts
minimee c said:
these engines also bend the rocker shaft when the belt breaks but if you are certain that all the timing etc is good, then prime the fuel system and be sure that it is not uncommon to have to tow the car to initially get it started. once done leave it running for about 10~15 min and it should start no prob from then on.
Never had one that has bent the rocker shaft hence the alloy rockers break before any further damage is done. To get it to run you normally have to pump a heck of a lot diesel out of the feed tubes to the injectors , or if its common rail then the rail then the feed pipes never had one refuse to start after doing this

1 - 4 of 4 Posts