Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, this is one for the boffins out there, i have recently done my head gasket on a 2.9 tdi, 2000, i had the head skimmed and crack tested and then reassembled the engine to the stage where i could start it on a jack in the engine bay. this was to make sure all was okay before i put the pig of a timing belt cover back on! it now starts on literally half a turn of the key so the timing must be right, the only problem is it is inducting through the exhaust pipe and exhausting through the inlet manifold!!!!! i have checked double checked and treble checked that everything is the right way round i.e. rocker shafts, cams and cam sprockets. its driving me andBRUNO 1926 from this forum crazy!! how can it be running let alone starting so easy has anyone done or come across it before? all answers other than burning it greatfully accepted. i am at a loss now as to what i have done wrong. i have been on it now for weeks and i cant come up with any more ideas. please someone help me and put me out of this misery. stanman

·
Registered
887 Posts
To be doing what your describing, there MUST be something wrong in the timing, pump timing, cam timing, pulleys or cams in wrong way round or something.
Plus your not supposed to skim the sedona heads, they have no tolerence for skimming.

·
Registered
702 Posts
murphwiz said:
To be doing what your describing, there MUST be something wrong in the timing, pump timing, cam timing, pulleys or cams in wrong way round or something.
Plus your not supposed to skim the sedona heads, they have no tolerence for skimming.

I beleive Stan has now sorted it out. It would appear that the cams were 90 degrees out just allowing the car to run but suck through the exhaust and exhaust through the inlet manifold. Why on earth kia in their wisdom put two keyways on the sprockets is beyond me, but as we all know they do do some strange things. But at least its sorted now.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Thats great news Bruno its sorted now. Your lucky the valves didn't crash off the piston tops on start up. That would have hurt your purse.

·
Registered
702 Posts
davy said:
Thats great news Bruno its sorted now. Your lucky the valves didn't crash off the piston tops on start up. That would have hurt your purse.
It seems that on the diesel engine at least if the pistons hit the valves the alloy rockers brake instead on bending the valves. But it does seem strange that Kia put camshaft pulleys on with 2 keyways in them

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
2keyways adds to strength, its alot harder to snap off 2 keys than one, but surely the cam wheels and camshafts have an aligning up mark. I had a similar problem on a Lancia Fulvia 1.3 twin cam engine about 20 year ago when I was restoring one. Got there in the end with no breakages.

·
Registered
702 Posts
davy said:
2keyways adds to strength, its alot harder to snap off 2 keys than one, but surely the cam wheels and camshafts have an aligning up mark. I had a similar problem on a Lancia Fulvia 1.3 twin cam engine about 20 year ago when I was restoring one. Got there in the end with no breakages.

Two keyways on the cam sprockets only one woodruff key on the cam shafts so one extra keyway on the sprockets this is where the confussion arises.. The sprockets have aligning marks on them but the cam shaft can fit in either of the two keyways and the sprockets have both in and ex on them so are interchangable from one to the other. This is what I assume Stan did he put the sprockets on the wrong camshafts and they line up but the valves are 90 degress out this way.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Oh right I've got you now Bruno. That seems a stupid idea having 2 keyways but only using one. Stan did well tho' and he will be advertising for work on other sedonas then
. You learn something new every day no matter how experienced you are.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i definitely will not be advertising for work davy
!!! the last few weeks has turned my already grey hair white!! the 2 keyway sprocket has got to be the most stupid thing i have ever come up against, apparently they have the same set up on a k series engine, typical B.L. idea thought up by a moron trying to save money. you cant even see the keyways once the bolt and washer are on and the ex and in marks on the sprockets line up in the same place anyway so unless you have someone to turn the engine over by hand while you stand and watch it you have no chance! i always do the safety rotations of the engine and no valves gave even the slightest inclination they were going to tip . the way the person has worked this out allows the cams to change rolls and the exhaust becomes the inlet and vice versa. its amazing to see it. i had fitters coming round to witness it because they insisted it was impossible!! not for koreans! anything is possible! i'm just glad i solved it. she sounds like a swiss watch now thanks to all who offered ideas and advice especially bruno 1926 he is a mine of information and his manual helped no end,
cheers to all stanman

·
Registered
192 Posts
well done guys this is exactly the sort of stuff that should be in a section of solved or unsolved problems a major headache fixed ,come on big brother lets get it sorted cheers john .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts