Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post - considering I have only had the car 1 month (hope I wasn't sold a lemon) didin't think I would be needing the help of a forum so soon. I thought Kia's were bullet proof - I hope this is not the start of a painful journey

I have a 2007 Kia Sedona 2.9 Auto. I have experienced problems when starting first thing in the morning. When I turn the key everything apart from the dashboard lights turn off and the car does not turn over-there is a small click but that could be when the power is cutting out the stereo and interior lights.

This started last week and my initial thoughts were jump start. Tried this and nothing. Left the jump leads on and left the other car running for 10 minutes. Came back and turned the key and started straight away. Same thing happened the next day so used same solution to fix. Took it to a local garage to check the battery and they said that the connectors were not tight enough. They tightened them up and the car was fine on Friday and Saturday and thought all was well with the Sedona. But then it happened again yesterday and as I didn't have time to do the whole jump cable thing I left the car at home and took wifes car. Came back and it started first time? Very unusual as it only happens in the morning when it is colder than say the afternoon and only on initial start and nothing subsequently. I think the weather or tempreture has some part to play but as I'm not a mechanic I was wondering if anyone has a view due to experience with these cars. Car has done only 24k miles and has been serviced annually by kia - last one in March. Read through the forum and it almost seems like searching for a needle in a haystack and if I ask Kia to do this I'm worried it is going to cost me loads

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks murphwiz - however would the problem occur as described i.e. first thing on a cold morning and then not at all throughout the day? surely a blown fuse would be blown regardless of the time of day or weather condition?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had this problem last winter, had battery sink tested and checked out OK, all symptoms pointed to battery so took plunge and changed battery, problem solved. Have been told since that Sedona batteries have high current cells, like a boost to assist starting, and it was probably one of these that was breaking down. Batteries are not cheap, most were quoted over £100 but I found one for £85 inc vat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
steve5815I was thinking of changing the battery but what I can't work out is why it does not start straight away when I use jump leads and another car? there is power in the battery as the interior lights, stereo etc work. Surely the extra power provided via the jump leads should be enough to start it - but it doesn't? instead it takes 10-15 minutes and it then starts. As you've said batteries aren't cheap and given that the car is only 3.5 years old I think they battery shouldn't be knackered just yet. Someone recommeneded a gel battery? any thoughts?

·
Registered
702 Posts
abydx said:
steve5815I was thinking of changing the battery but what I can't work out is why it does not start straight away when I use jump leads and another car? there is power in the battery as the interior lights, stereo etc work. Surely the extra power provided via the jump leads should be enough to start it - but it doesn't? instead it takes 10-15 minutes and it then starts. As you've said batteries aren't cheap and given that the car is only 3.5 years old I think they battery shouldn't be knackered just yet. Someone recommeneded a gel battery? any thoughts?
Hi
If the battery is the original one then I would imagine with the cold weather at the start of the year and this cold spell we are having at the moment then the battery is ready for change. I bought a heavy duty one just over 2 years ago and have just had to change it. On the surface and testing it looked ok , but gave symptoms such as yours, but having changed it no more problems. The diesel engine is a beast to turnover from cold , but once started will normally start ok during the rest of the day until the time we all dread and it wont. The items such as interior lights /radio etc take little power compared to starting the car and are normally the last things to stop working. You could always try as a last resort checking the earth points on the engine/chasis etc. If you look back through the forum you will find numerous accounts of starting problems with the Sedona and more so the Mk2's than the Mk1's
Edited by: bruno1926

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hear Hear Bruno! Have had many owners panicking over this issue, been to the tyre and exhaust center where they gave the battery 100% fit!! takes a good battery to crank a diesel engine in cold weather, anydeficiencyin the battery and it will just give up!

·
Registered
2 Posts
<!--if gte mso 9>
<w:Word>
<w:View>Normal</w:View>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<w:punctuationKerning/>
<w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/>
<w:SaveIfInvalid>false</w:SaveIfInvalid>
<w:IgnoreMixed>false</w:IgnoreMixed>
<w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>
<w:Compatibility>
<w:BreakWrappedTables/>
<w:SnapToGridInCell/>
<w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
<w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
<w:DontGrowAutofit/>
</w:Compatibility>
<w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
</w:Word>
<!--><!--if gte mso 9>
<w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156">
</w:LatentStyles>
<!--><!--if gte mso 10>

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

<!-->

Hi I have a Sedona 2005 2.9 auto and I am having the same problem
with intermittent starting, when I turn the key it clicks, if I move
the auto shift up and down several times it will start,

I think it must be a micro switch on the gear select
assembly can anyone give me any pointers as to how I get to it and what the
settings are, if it incorrectly set the car may start in drive,RegardsJohn

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had the same problem myself, turn the key and all you get is a click and then another time it would start up fist time this went on for ages ..... Had to bite the bullet and take it to my local Kia dealer and they fitted a new starter motor, problem solved. Not cheap but have not had the problem since.

·
Registered
2 Posts
<!--if gte mso 9>
<w:Word>
<w:View>Normal</w:View>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<w:punctuationKerning/>
<w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/>
<w:SaveIfInvalid>false</w:SaveIfInvalid>
<w:IgnoreMixed>false</w:IgnoreMixed>
<w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>
<w:Compatibility>
<w:BreakWrappedTables/>
<w:SnapToGridInCell/>
<w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
<w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
<w:DontGrowAutofit/>
</w:Compatibility>
<w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel>
</w:Word>
<!--><!--if gte mso 9>
<w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156">
</w:LatentStyles>
<!--><!--if gte mso 10>

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0cm;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-ansi-language:#0400;
mso-fareast-language:#0400;
mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

<!-->

Must be the starter solenoid then, strange how it will start
when I move the gear selector up and down a couple of times Thanks for your
input Popeye.

Regards

John

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 03 Sedona, has a battery that goes flat if not used every day, then another problem of not starting unless I use easystart, I've already replaced the preheat relays and preheater plus fuel filter and I'm getting the engine check light coming on when accelerating, anyone got any idea's, already thought of using TNT

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 03 Sedona, has a battery that goes flat if not used every day, then another problem of not starting unless I use easystart, I've already replaced the preheat relays and preheater plus fuel filter and I'm getting the engine check light coming on when accelerating, anyone got any idea's, already thought of using TNT
We have a 2008 Mk2 Sedona and have

1. Intermittent starting (usually resolved by pretending to leave the car, lock, unlock, get back in and starts 1st time (!!!)
2. engine warning light when accelerating.

Any tips anyone can share since the last post in 2013 :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts