1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a Sedona Diesel automatic.

Today, was driving along and it just lost power. Engine seemed to be as
if it was lacking fuel. It completely just ground to a halt and wouldnt
rev at all. Its as if the accel pedal isnt working at all.

Then it spluttered a bit and then was fine. This then happened a few
times - lose power for a few secs and then splutter back into life.

Any ideas?

Bad fuel maybe? Bad connection accelerator pedal?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the problem is worse than spluterring to be honest.

This morning drove along the motorway and it happened 3 times. Engine doesnt cut out it just loses all power and goes to idle. Ended up sitting on hard shoulder pumpind pedal with no response.

Called RAC out. No faults on their reader. Its gone to another garage now for further diagnosis.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One thing though I did notice it was running a little hot. Temp needle above average.

Also, it was fine driving 5 mins to garage. And this morning the first 10 mins of my journey was fine and only had problems later on.

also been having problems with heater not working (blowing cold intermittently) recently. Might be related or not?

BTW. Checked water this am and its was a little low so I topped it up.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Engine is running lean, lack of fuel leading to loss of power and causes the engine to burn hotter as believe it or not fuel as its entering the cylinder acts as a coolant just like oil. Could be a faulty lambada sensor (air/fuel mixture) or even intermittent fuel pump failure. Could even be as small as a tank pump to high pressure injector pump. For sure check your coolant level just to be 100% sure our not getting a false symptom leading to an incorrect cure. Any smoke from the exhaust? And if so what colour? Any other electrical item stop working when it happens? Could be electrical fault. As m623d says above...when you run your tank down it wouldn't hurt to change the fuel filter anyway coming up to winter as any water in the filter could cause you even more problemsEdited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
536 Posts
Sorry just re read your comment. Heater could be shorting and MAYBE causing an electrical problem but it's a long shot.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RichieD76 said:
Sorry just re read your comment. Heater could be shorting and MAYBE causing an electrical problem but it's a long shot.
Wouldnt this show up as a fault code though?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RichieD76 said:
Engine is running lean, lack of fuel leading to loss of power and causes the engine to burn hotter as believe it or not fuel as its entering the cylinder acts as a coolant just like oil. Could be a faulty lambada sensor (air/fuel mixture) or even intermittent fuel pump failure. Could even be as small as a tank pump to high pressure injector pump. For sure check your coolant level just to be 100% sure our not getting a false symptom leading to an incorrect cure. Any smoke from the exhaust? And if so what colour? Any other electrical item stop working when it happens? Could be electrical fault. As m623d says above...when you run your tank down it wouldn't hurt to change the fuel filter anyway coming up to winter as any water in the filter could cause you even more problems
Whats strange though is that engine doesnt cut out - it just goes to idle level with no input from the accelerator pedal.

Also, no fault codes which would rule out electrical problem?

·
Registered
141 Posts
brake pedal switch will cause the exact same problem. (mine did the same )
there is a ruber on the pedal that hits the switch mine had a dip in it and caused the brake lights to come on which cuts the ecu and put it in limp mode and bring up the mil light.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Turns out something to do with part of the heater being corroded. (I have been having intermittent heater problems as well the past few weeks).

Apparently, it was losing coolant and this was forcing engine into limp mode.

Wrong side of £600 total unfortunately. Two hours labour to diagnose problem, £220+VAT for part and whatever else to fit the part. :-(

·
Registered
187 Posts
I was just about to say what you were diagnosed. It will go in to limp mode if water level runs to low. With you saying temperature higher than normal that was the first thing i thought of.
Look at getting the work done at a local independent garage, could save you 100s.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts