Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everybody,

I'm new to the forum and would appreciate advice - if any one has any - in relation to the following tale of woe.

Until a couple of weeks ago my 2005 Sedona which had completed 46,000 miles quite happily suddenly became very sick: a loud knocking noise from the engine, a puff of smoke and loss of power. The garageopened up the engine and advised that the "bottom end of the engine had damage from striking and was irrepairable". The cost of fitting a new or reconditioned engine doesn't really make sense. So a car that wasin good condition had a full service history andwhich was worth about £3,500 is now only worth about £400 in scrap value (figure offered by the garage).

The car was bought from a main Kia dealer five years and had one previous owner and is about 5 years 9 months old. It has a full service history (not Kia though).Is it worthwhile contacting Kia and asking for some compensation/ help to repair the engine or is it a lost cause (i presume any sort of warranty is expired)? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi Liam,

Sorry to hear of your problems!

As you say, the warranty has expired as I think they only had a 3 year one in 2005, but I stand to be corrected by Viking Paul or Murphwiz.

In order to have any chance of compensation from Kia you would need a report from the mechanic stating that he believed the engine problem was caused by faulty materials.However, you also say the mechanic states he thought the problem was caused by the underside of the engine having been damaged from "striking" so he's not likely to be able to say it was due to faulty materials etc!

As you say it has a full service history but NOT at a KIA dealer and they will use this fact to disclaim any responsibility - unless you can show that all parts, oils etc were of KIA approved types.

To be frank it looks like you will have to bite the bullet unless somehow you can build a dossier of similar problems with Sedonas - other forum members may be of use in that area as I run a Carens - the Sedonas little brother!

Sorry I cannot be more positive, but I'll shed a tear for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Quiltman

Thanks for the reply. I think your right, i was already chewing that bullet! Pity really, i think i just got unlucky with that car.

Cheers

Liam

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Fit an engine from a write off,will be some available. That is exactly what will happen to the car after you have traded it, the garage will not scrap it, they will have it for sale again in a weeks time. Seen it happen several time, once to my uncle, they totally ripped him off before I got chance to buy the car from him and fit an engine myself either for his use or resale.

Paul

·
Registered
141 Posts
just as suttonseven said i have seen many a garage do this even some i have worked in have done it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Sound advice from other members - if you've got space get it back home put it on the drive and start searching / researching the internet for cost of replacement / used engines or finding someone who can do the repairs for you. Not going to be cheap repair obviously but if you get a good engine your motor will be as good as it was before this happened. Don't panic and sell to the garage - they have a vested interest in getting it for a song and getting it back on the road - to make a big profit. You might get someone else to have a look at the engine it could be repairable with them saying it isn't in order to get it for nothing. As a last resort you may be able to sell it as it is as a project for someone and get a lot more for it. Good Luck with it.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Just happened again to someone else I know and guess what, he sold it to the garage. Car was 54 plate Vauxhall, broken timing chain (thought they had belts but I know nowt about Vauxhalls). Wanted £500 for investigation workbefore he could take the car away (how long does it take to diagnose a broken chain/belt?)butgave him £1200 for car in PX against 10 plate motor. He could have bought the same car for £1000's less at a supermarket, repaired the old car and sold it on. Too busy doing overtime was the excuse, hope they pay well.

Paul

·
Registered
141 Posts
yes the new diesel has a chain on them its a week link with the engine and the blowing of injector seals.
£500 for investigation work is over the top you can see if the chain is gone in under a hour and when they go the bend the valves which results in a new head.

unless its a auto then there is a good chance of there beeing very little damage as when the engine dies on a auto there is no drive to the engine. unlike a manual when the crank will still rotate untill you dip the clutch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everybody for taking the time to reply. I have my suspicions that what you say maybe right. The problem is that if i try and move the car it will cost me money (which i have very little of!). The quotes i have for putting a new engine in are too high. It was essential for my wife that she had a car so we've ended up leaseing one and all the available money is going on that. So i can't afford to pay for it to be fixed and then sell it which would give me more of a return.

The car itself never gave us any trouble until theengine went! We just heard a bang and a puff of smoke. There was hardly any power getting through to the wheels and went itfor about another 100 metres with a banging sound coming from the engine. In hindsight i shouldn have stopped immediatly although i thought it was something simple like the exhaust (i don't know much about cars as you can see). The garage said that after the engine had blown it was burning oil?Certainly the guy from Green Flag thought something major had gone.

Like i said in my earlier post we had treated the car well, always serviced etc.and few miles on the clock so it was very depressing that it developed such a major problem

Anyway thanks again and i'll consider what you allsaid.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
DMC
Engine in Vauxhall was 2.2 petrol manual. Garage wanted £4000 to fit reconditioned Vauxhall unit. Me thinks I should change my line of bussiness.

Paul

·
Registered
30 Posts
hi liam if you go on ebay type in kia serdona and theres a guy in oldham hes all ways got them in to break and hes cheap he will probley do the engine for you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Liam said:
So a car that wasin good condition had a full service history andwhich was worth about £3,500 is now only worth about £400 in scrap value (figure offered by the garage).

Hi Liam,

And a big hello to all on the Kia Sedonaowners club forum

Completelynew to the forum butthought having recently purchasedused 06 plate Sedona LE, this would be the place to learn about any potential pitfalls whenI stumbled on your post Liam.

I haven't worked on a Kia Engine but I have worked on quite a few other Japanese engines in terms of replacement. Most recent was a complete MR2 renovationof which involvedstripping out the existing and putting in a replacement engine obtained from a local breakers yard.

I'd just like to echo what the others have said here about replacing the engine. It's not that difficult to arrange even if you're not planning to do it yourself.

Ebay has a large selection of Sedona used engines. I was looking one tonight after reading your post from no other than SedonaGary

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Kia-Sedona-CRDI-2-9-Diesel-Engine-30-Days-Warranty-/260774413800?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cb75dc5e8

£795 collected.Gary's mobile07799 408459.

I would expect to pay a good day's worth of labour for maybe one or two mechanicsto get the engine up and running but for another £500 (£1,300 overall) I would be confidentyou'd be back on the road again
- somewhat cheaper than you have been quoted.

If it were me, I'd buy a used engine and have a word with a few local garages to get the best installation quote, they may even be able to arrange to pick up the engine for you and take care of the whole thing if you can link them up with the engine.

Good luck.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi Liam. I have found a replacment cylinder head thanks to your following on this topic. In doing so I have seen today 13 May at 5pmish an ad on Ebay for 2.902 tdi engine £250 and if you arrange for the seller to fit it he will give you a guaranttee too! He states runs"Sweet" and low milage.This sounds a good deal for you. I have had minefrom 4-3-11 and two weeks ago the head cylinder cracked so I am looking to pay out for my car too,,but what a great drive it is.
Steve G
Blackpool

1 - 15 of 15 Posts