Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There

I have just joined to ask for some help/pointers, I'm trying to help my neightbour with his Sedona. I used to work in the trade (Many years ago, not Kia), and now do my own car work/restos and so giving him a hand to get on top of some issues with it.

First of all I'm not exactly sure if it's an up to 2006 model or 2006 onwards, I'll double check that when he's back in, sure it's a 56 plate.

Secondly it's a diesel, I'm sure it's the 2.9 CRdi or whatever the model is, sorry I've absolutely no experience of Kia Models. He's had it from almost new, and uses it to potter about to various jobs in town, nothing strenous.

Starting with the engine, I drove it and it feels really flat, so I started with a fuel filter change, he said it improved it a bit, but I don't think it made that much difference, though he did say it pulls up hill to house in higher gear now. When you pull away you can feel it surge a little on and off, when it surges you can hear the famous diesel "clatter" and then smooth out as if you'd quickly planted your foot on the gas then off, but it doesn't really speed up any. I'm thinking the engine is in limp home mode, and has been for a long time.

Warning lights: Got engine management light on, ABS light on, but sometimes goes out, and the glow plug light flashing. He said it's been doing that for years and it always starts first thing, which I've seen.

I've not confirmed if this is a turbo model, if so I'm imagining that it is not working, i.e. clogged up, I'm thinking as well maybe injectors/pump maybe slowly fading away. Basically a concotion of issues.

I'd said to go to the garage that does his MOT (Friendly chap) and start with reading the codes out to see what we're working with, the garage said they couldn't get the interface to work,and he went a bought a cheap code reader and that didn't work either. So is that a common issue with these, is there a specific code reader for this or software?

Can't really do anything till we get codes out and take it from there.

Thanks for any pointers either way.

Andy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just checked it with torque scanner bluetooth app, got code p0088 common rail high pressure. Dig about looks like it's saying inlet metering valve, although I've read people have replaced this and still got code. Anything else worth checking first? Strange thing, the EML stayed on but on re-reading the fault coees it was cleared but the EML still on?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts