Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from a newbie.

We have a Kia Sedona, 2005, LX model. 2.9TD. We live in France, and this is the French version, the Carnival.

We have just tried to book the car in for its timing belt service (60,000 miles / 90,000kms), and have been told that they have to take the engine out to do this, and have quoted us ‚¬1350!!!!
We have had a more sensible quote from a UK garage, of £560.

Has anyone else had their timing belt service done? Do they REALLY have to take the engine out? With the price difference we're being quoted, it's actually cheaper to make a special trip to the UK to have it done ... how crazy is that?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, same problem on the mainland. Allegedly a main dealer only job, normal little garage wont touch em. it needs the engine out to do it properly a 4-5 hour job. Anyway just got a quote today from Chalkes of Mere in Wiltshire for £350 if its just the cam belt and no auxillary belts. Labour would remain the same for more belts just the parts price would go up. they do courteousy cars too. Need a weeks notice. Hope this is helpful You could get a ferry to poole or and its about 30 miles away. cheers Bobboy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bobboy, but we've now booked it into a garage in Poole for the full service. 3 hours for the service, 1.9 hours on top for the cam-belt. Hope they're right, as I'm only in the country for 1 weekday-day, and I really don't fancy a stand-up row in the garage

·
Registered
34 Posts
hi got a 2.9 sedona lx 2003 had the timing belt done in a small local garage took 5 hours and done it really cheap. cost me £130 plus the belt which i got in a motor factors for £40.00. the engine did not come out ,said it was a hard job
regards

leighton

·
Registered
887 Posts
It's a pig of a job, but it's no engine out job!
Quite easy when you know how, you need to remove the engine mount on the belt side and gearbox, this allows enough room to do the belt.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
Newbie here, noticed you have changed cam belt on a 2.9 td was it four cylinder, could you poss advise me on how to time it up. As belt is fitted but do not know if it was aligned properly as bought as non runner.
Regards
Rob

·
Registered
887 Posts
All 2.9's are 4 cylinder.
Timing up...
Crank key on mark on timing case
Cam pulleys with timing marks aligned to eachother towards middle of engine
i.e - -
poump, turn until you can insert a timing cover bolt and secure pump pulley into thread.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello Vanessa,

I saw your note on the Kia issue. I'm also in France, also with Sedona. It has done 128000 miles so ready for change! 1st was changed at 70,000. Kia dealer here quoted yesterday 750 euros. I've sent a msg to Chalkes of Mere but did you discover here in France a reasonably priced Kia-knowledgeable place or mechanic?

Best wishes. (my e-mail: [email protected])

·
Registered
2 Posts
any garage would be much cheaper than your dealer.. better yet, you can purchase your part online, aftermarkets are as good as the original kia parts, then you can do a diy job or get a mechanic to do it for you.. much cheaper.
Edited by: archebald23

·
Registered
12 Posts
We did this on our car and the engine did not have to come out, its about a 5 hour job.

Vanessa said:
Hello from a newbie.

We have a Kia Sedona, 2005, LX model. 2.9TD. We live in France, and this is the French version, the Carnival.

We have just tried to book the car in for its timing belt service (60,000 miles / 90,000kms), and have been told that they have to take tires the engine out to do this, and have quoted us ‚¬1350!!!!
We have had a more sensible quote from a UK garage, of £560.

Has anyone else had their timing belt service done? Do they REALLY have to take the engine out? With the price difference cars we're being quoted, it's actually cheaper to make a special trip to the UK to have it done ... how crazy is that?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hi, I know it was a few yrs ago, but what garage did have the work done on the Sedona.....
Im in Newport.

Thanks

Parcel

1 - 11 of 11 Posts