Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2.9 Sedona Auto which sometimes when towing my twin axle caravan up steep inclines drops down to second gear but stays locked in second even when the road levels out. To get it out of second I have to move the shift to N and then to D. This only happens when towing. Has anyone else experienced this and has a solution to the problem

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, The reason your car sticks in second gear is the automatic tranmission fluid is over hearting,I have had this problem and have now fitted an otheroil cooler,
I have fitted it just inside the front fairing and it does mean removing the fairing first but with the new oil cooler in place it gives additional cooling to the fluid and then the fluid does not thin out as much and you wont have this problem again.
I have had to do this on three previous cars and it has cured the problem each time ,incedentaly I tow a twin axel Swift Conqueror 645 which is 1800Kgs unloaded andapprox 2250 Kgsloaded.
The total cost of cooler and fitting was £197.00including VAT.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ivan
Thanks for the advice. If the problem continues I will contact my dealer with a view to fitting an additional cooler. My van is similar weight to yours. Enjoy your caravanning.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hy,Sorry to have been so long in answering.No I had it fitted by my relative who is workshop manager of MG Owners club workshop ,but as I said
It works very well and no more problems.
Regards Ivan Wallman.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all,

I am about to tow with our new (to us) Sedona, a 57 plate. Ive asked the dealer whether they recommend an additional cooler when towing and they said there is a common fault with overheating when towing. They have a fix, a larger cooler. They said that KIA may fit this as a goodwill gesture. However, our Sedona does not have full service history and as a result, they will not fit it. We will now have to pay. I don't understand what full service history has to do with the fact that a bigger cooler needs fitting? Surely if it needs one, it needs one, regardless?

Should I keep pushing? Should I just pay?

Any suggestions welcomed.

Where are these bulletins?
Edited by: Dazwilly

·
Registered
887 Posts
Goodwill is just that, goodwill.
If you have shown loyalty to kia they will pay, having a kia service history can pay, as a 'new' owner it might be worth an extra push.
99% of issues can be fixed with a transmission control unit upgrade however, takes about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a software upgrade for my 07 Kia for towing and it now tows like a dream with no problems. I have never had a problem with overheating and therefore before having to pay for a bigger cooler I would see whether you need one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I believe it is an upgrade for towing because when they introduced the new facelift Sedona in 07 there was a problem when towing and had to upgrade the software as a consequence. Also before the upgrade I used to get a lot of Turbo lag after the upgrade that is also much better. Your local dealer should know about the upgrade.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi James

Which dealer did the up-grade?

I've had a few issues with our 2.9 (2007) while towing our Abbey van this August. EML will come on at the slightest hint of an uphill climb & holds on to 5th far tooooo long.

I plan to chat with our local kia dealer about the up-grade but it would help if I could give them a name of a dealer that has done it, my local dealer is not too sharp if you know what I mean

SteveN

1 - 13 of 13 Posts