Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi can any of you good people help I have a 2000 Kia Sedona 2.9TDI that has a very annoying engine squeek it sounds a bit like a fan belt sqweek but it doesn't sound like it speeds up much to the speed that you rev the engine upto I thought it was the fan belts but I sprayed some water on the belts to see if it altered the sound of the sqweek but it made absolutely no difference at all it's driving me mad it sound like there are a load of hamsters on a big wheel under the bonnet.
Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a update I'm told that the alternator belt tensioner is a comman failure on the 2.9 diesel so I have just picked on up at £41.75 and a brand new alt belt £13.00 so I have just got to get brave and fit it as its gone from sounding like hamsters on a big wheel to sounding like a foreign film with loads of crickets in the background.
I have now confirmed as it is defo the alternator belt as the belt is running right on the edge of one of the pulleys plus if I give it hard full lock the sqweek goes and the battery light comes on the dashboard as the belt slips.
Has anyone ever changed a alt belt tensioner and if so how hard is it to do.

Regards Carl.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi I have eventually got round to fitting the new fan belt tensioner to find out its slightly different and will not fit. It looks like the new tensioner is deeper at the back where it sits against the engine.
Just a thought but does anyone know if I have to strip the old tensioner and use the back plate of the old tensioner and fit the new tensioner into the back of the old tensioner.
Regards.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts