Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi can any of you good people help I have a 2000 Kia Sedona 2.9TDI that has a very annoying engine squeek it sounds a bit like a fan belt sqweek but it doesn't sound like it speeds up much to the speed that you rev the engine upto I thought it was the fan belts but I sprayed some water on the belts to see if it altered the sound of the sqweek but it made absolutely no difference at all it's driving me mad it sound like there are a load of hamsters on a big wheel under the bonnet.
Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a update I'm told that the alternator belt tensioner is a comman failure on the 2.9 diesel so I have just picked on up at £41.75 and a brand new alt belt £13.00 so I have just got to get brave and fit it as its gone from sounding like hamsters on a big wheel to sounding like a foreign film with loads of crickets in the background.
I have now confirmed as it is defo the alternator belt as the belt is running right on the edge of one of the pulleys plus if I give it hard full lock the sqweek goes and the battery light comes on the dashboard as the belt slips.
Has anyone ever changed a alt belt tensioner and if so how hard is it to do.

Regards Carl.

·
Registered
702 Posts
carlnlisa2 said:
Just a update I'm told that the alternator belt tensioner is a comman failure on the 2.9 diesel so I have just picked on up at £41.75 and a brand new alt belt £13.00 so I have just got to get brave and fit it as its gone from sounding like hamsters on a big wheel to sounding like a foreign film with loads of crickets in the background.
I have now confirmed as it is defo the alternator belt as the belt is running right on the edge of one of the pulleys plus if I give it hard full lock the sqweek goes and the battery light comes on the dashboard as the belt slips.
Has anyone ever changed a alt belt tensioner and if so how hard is it to do.

Regards Carl.

A quick look at the manual and it doesn't show or tell a lot but it looks as though there are 2 maybe 3 bolts that go into the back of the block underneath thealternator. There is not a lot of room around the back of the engine from the top so it may be easier having a look from underneath to see if its better to do it from there. If possible I would try and avoid taking the alternator off as they are a real tight fit into the top bracket which is fastened to the cylinder head. Good luck

·
Registered
399 Posts
The belt is slackened by turning the centre bolt on the lowest tensioner pulley anti-clockwise if I remember correctly, that's after removing the air con motor belt! You will find it a bit easier removing the o/s engine mounting, this way you can lower or raise the engine for ease of access.

·
Registered
702 Posts
MININUT said:
The belt is slackened by turning the centre bolt on the lowest tensioner pulley anti-clockwise if I remember correctly, that's after removing the air con motor belt! You will find it a bit easier removing the o/s engine mounting, this way you can lower or raise the engine for ease of access.

On my Mk1 you have to pull the bolt on the pulley clockwise this pulls the tensioner downwards allowing the belt to be pulled off, there is plenty of room to see when the O/S wheel is removed and the plastic splash guard from the inner wing, but the problem is being able to see the 2/3 bolts holding the tensioner on to the block but may be able to see better the bolts from underneath . Its going to be hard to do and possibly easier to do by removing thealternator but the top mounting on the alternator is or can be a real bugger to get back into the alloy bracket

·
Registered
399 Posts
Removing the mounting to allow the engine to be raised or lowered, will allow enough room to remove either the idler or the adjuster pulley. Obviously the o/s wheel and inner plastic cover needs removing for access.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi I have eventually got round to fitting the new fan belt tensioner to find out its slightly different and will not fit. It looks like the new tensioner is deeper at the back where it sits against the engine.
Just a thought but does anyone know if I have to strip the old tensioner and use the back plate of the old tensioner and fit the new tensioner into the back of the old tensioner.
Regards.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Do not strip the backplate, you must have received the incorrect part if it does not fit? compare with the old tensioner. Take it back to your supplier and show the old part to them for comparison

1 - 10 of 10 Posts