Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only had her a week, but already a problem.

Sometimes, she takes ages to start. The battery is strong, turns over fine, but nothing. Other times, starts straight away, more so when cold.

Any ideas what could be wrong? Should I pump the accelerator loads or not?

Thanks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi HPKia...check the negative cable from your battery, the black one and it's connection to the chassis. Make sure it is a nice solid connection and the bolts securing it to the chassis aren't loose.<div id="isChromeWebToolbarDiv" style="display:none">

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, will try that. One thing, this only started after I took her for an oil change - could anything have been disturbed? Will take her back to the garage.

·
Registered
38 Posts
See my other thread on non starting Sedona. I had this random starting issue, similarly a few weeks after i got her. I had a spare battery lieing around which i would jump out of the car and fit as a back up thinking the battery was the problem. I had both tested and the mechanic said both were in excellent condition.<div id="isChromeWebToolbarDiv" style="display:none">

Certainly if you or a mechanic has been routing around under the bonnet then if the negative cable connection to the chassis is loose then it is possible any disturbance could have made it worse

·
Registered
422 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
had the same symptoms on a van and I fitted extra earth leads from battery to engine and engine to body, after that no problems

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I checked the connection and it's nice and strong from the battery to the chassis. Good news is it's been behaving itself the last couple of days.

Have a small water leak under the middle seats. I've read about the trouble with rusty heater pipes - had mine checked out when I had the oil change andthe previous ownerhad the good mind to replace them already with rubber ones. I guess it's just a loose connection.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If it fails to start is preheater indicator failing to appear breifly on dash lots of posts of bad connection to preheater block.

·
Registered
249 Posts
When you turn on the ignition you should have two orange lights ( as well as all the others ! ) one is the pre-heat , the other is the immobiliser light. This should come on then go out& if it doesn't it will not start. <strike>S</strike>ometimes when it doesn't come on the cranking will make it flash allowing it to start. If it doesn't come on try waggling the key as , with age & wear, the immobiliser transponder which is around the ignition barrel, doesn't get the contact made from the base of the ignition switch & waggling the key can rectify it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.