Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any one help?

I have a 2002 2.9 diesel Sedona which has done 122,000 miles with manual gearbox,

When going from 1st to 2nd ther is a grinding and crunching noise and its difficult to get 2nd gear. If you change at very low revs and very slowly it will change with out noise but its not a natural technique.

When changing from 2nd to 3rd the shift feels very stiff - all other gear changes are fine.

Has any one els had this problem ? Is it common?

can any one shed any light on what might be causing this?????

Thanks Davew

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi there I know this is an old post
We have just had the same problem
in a 55 plate /11000 miles manual sedona
1st and 2nd gears /synchro had to be replaced.
fortunately dealer helped out with this financially
I would not expect a gearbox to be that bad at such a low mileage

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">I'm new here, and hoping to get some assistance.<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">I'm helping a colleague here in South Africa with a 2006 Sedona 2.9L diesel.<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">The car is equipped with manual transmission. It was suffering from 1st and 2nd gear synchro ring problems. We sent the car to a local transmission 'expert' who removed the transmission and stripped it. After 5 weeks they gave up trying to get parts and reassembled the car and returned it to the owner. Shortly afterwards, the transmission siezed (as the owner describes it), There is now clearly further internal damage. We are battling to findany parts for this transmission, nor can I find a used replacement unit in South Africa.<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">Can anyone direct me to where I might buy new transmission parts for this car, or alternatively, does anyone have a lead on a used manual transmission for this car (even if we have to ship to South Africa).<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">It might help our search if any other KIA models share this transmission, specifically I was wondering of the 3.5L gasoline engine Sedona uses the same transmission?<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">I was told during my searches that the car is equipped with a "J3" engine, if that helps anyone.<BR itxt="1"><BR itxt="1">Thanks in advance,<BR itxt="1">Ryan in South Africa.

·
Registered
702 Posts
s class said:
Hi,<br itxt="1"><br itxt="1">I'm new here, and hoping to get some assistance.<br itxt="1"><br itxt="1">I'm helping a colleague here in South Africa with a 2006 Sedona 2.9L diesel.<br itxt="1"><br itxt="1">The car is equipped with manual transmission. It was suffering from 1st and 2nd gear synchro ring problems. We sent the car to a local transmission 'expert' who removed the transmission and stripped it. After 5 weeks they gave up trying to get parts and reassembled the car and returned it to the owner. Shortly afterwards, the transmission siezed (as the owner describes it), There is now clearly further internal damage. We are battling to findany parts for this transmission, nor can I find a used replacement unit in South Africa.<br itxt="1"><br itxt="1">Can anyone direct me to where I might buy new transmission parts for this car, or alternatively, does anyone have a lead on a used manual transmission for this car (even if we have to ship to South Africa).<br itxt="1"><br itxt="1">It might help our search if any other KIA models share this transmission, specifically I was wondering of the 3.5L gasoline engine Sedona uses the same transmission?<br itxt="1"><br itxt="1">I was told during my searches that the car is equipped with a "J3" engine, if that helps anyone.<br itxt="1"><br itxt="1">Thanks in advance,<br itxt="1">Ryan in South Africa.

Hi
One Dealer/parts manager does come on here he maybe able to help or point you in the right direction here's the emailaddresscontact[email protected]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts