Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned two Sedonas over the last 7 or 8 years and generally been happy with the vehicle. My 04 plate Sedona has now done 65,000 miles and i need to change the timing belt. I am planning to do it myself over the summer during my hols and am looking to research other members experiences of this task.I am reasonablycompetent at fixing cars and have done them all my life, when I started reading about how difficult this job appears to be I began wondering whether anybody has actually done this successfully as a DIY job.
Any advice and assistance (or colour pictures) would be useful. It seems that the biggest problem is one of access, with the engine pretty hard over to the inner wing and with the engine mount in the way it appears it is quite a big tear down to move bits out of the way.
One last thing, what make of belt would you suggest? I had a look in the Gates catalogue and it did not seem to list this vehicle. I have seen a make called FAI on ebay and wonder whether anybody has experience of this make?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
887 Posts
If your handy with cars, you'll be ok, it is a pain to do, but remove the battery/airbox and gearbox mount, then when you take of the mount at cambelt end you'll have a reasonable amount of room.

·
Registered
111 Posts
you have a pretty big job if its a diesel as the camshaft requires locking off this can add to the cost if you need to but a camshaft kit from any of the tool dealers you can get around it by splitting the old belt down the centre and sliding the new belt on halfway then cutting the remaining old belt away and sliding the new belt on all the way on job done and no messing about with camshaft timing marks etc but its not recommended as its best to replace the water pump at the same time if its driven off the same belt . even if it isnt you really need to make sure the new belt is tensioned correctly, this involves a new tensioner and a lot of moving stuff out o the way to do the job, for what its worth its worth investing in original equipment from the makers as some of the aftermarket parts are pants some are tiptop but is it wort the risk ... i dont think so

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hi, Its a long time since I heard someone suggest cutting the old belt down the middle and sliding on the new one - if you are replacing the belt get the whole kit and do the waterpump at the same time - you could have the best belt in the world but if the water pump siezes you will still write the engine off - so change the lot.

·
Registered
422 Posts
There is a CD about (I've got a copy somewhere)that includes a step by step magazine article on how to replace the belt with the engine in situ - a lot of garages say that the engine needs tobe removed to replace the belt - but that is not necessary!

·
Registered
702 Posts
I've done a few and you can do it with the engine in place. To push the engine over to allow the water pump pulley and the lower timing case to come off its best and easier to have someone on hand for a few mins just to help. You can do it your self but is a lot easier with 2 at that point. Send me a PM and I'll send you the article its in >XPS format which can be downloaded for free from the microsh*t site

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ive posted stuff here before about timing belts but I got a maintenace disk from E-bay which you need adobe to read but includes full instructions about replacing the timing belt without taking the engine out. has something to do with chocking the engine back with a socket. but the disc is ok and only costs about £2 including postage.

·
Registered
702 Posts
fazertony said:
Ive posted stuff here before about timing belts but I got a maintenace disk from E-bay which you need adobe to read but includes full instructions about replacing the timing belt without taking the engine out. has something to do with chocking the engine back with a socket. but the disc is ok and only costs about £2 including postage.
The disc you are on about is just the small section that used to be on Kia tech with a scan of the cam belt change stolen from you know who

·
Registered
702 Posts
pkrboo said:
Any recommendations for what cambelt kit to use?

I have seen an SKF one for about 235 quid from Euro Car Parts.
At that price I dont think they are much cheaper than the main dealer for the kit

·
Registered
36 Posts
in that case i will go for main dealer KIA items. is it best to all the pulleys and tensioners? or can the belt just be done on its own?

·
Registered
702 Posts
pkrboo said:
in that case i will go for main dealer KIA items. is it best to all the pulleys and tensioners? or can the belt just be done on its own?
Having said that there were a few on ebay not long since for around £170 they may still be on there

1 - 13 of 13 Posts