Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello !!Im a little new here and am desperate for any help any one might want to offer?
my amber"check engine" warning lamp illuminates when the car is driven and it seems to come on more when you drive it harder. as soon as you slow down the light goes out until the next time you put your foot down.
Ihave checked it with a blue point eobd2 code reader which shows no faults????
I have also checked it with a slightly more fancy code reader that is capable of looking at manufacturer specific fault codes and this tool gives me fault codes of P1120 and P1119.
also the car is getting harder to start where you have to crank it a lot longer before it will actualy fire up.

As i say any help or advice will be welcomed with open arms!!!!!

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
68 Posts
hi jim, does it start ok when cold, and has the engine started to rattle like 'pinking' when pulling away?how long ago was the diesel filter changed,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hello !its not starting well from cold at all. takes a lot more cranking than it usually does before it eventualy starts.
i have not noticed any rattle when pulling away at all !!

also i changed the fuel filter about two months ago.

To give you a bit more info though the car has had the check engine light flashing on and off for about five months now as idescribed earlier. It has recently been getting steadily worse and the poor starting has only just started in the last week or so.
when i changed the fuel filter it seemed to get a lot better and i thaught i had cured it . BUT its started playing up again and is worse now than its ever been.
Im thinking i might try a genuine kia fuelfilter as the one i fitted was none genuine!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just fitted a genuine filter and there is no improvement @ all !
Currently thinking it could be the fuel pump??

again ! Any ideas ??????
any one know how to check the pump out ????

·
Registered
6 Posts
my sedona suffers same problem with additional problem that it goes into 'limp' mode.When fault codes read, same 2 show up indicating fuel problem.Kia technician has tried allsorts, advice from kia technical via email to dealer is that it is classic symptom of fuel pump failure that was a problem with early 2.9 diesels.
Cost of new pump is £900 plus 4-5 hours fitting.Half the value of the car!!

I have not yet committed to this course of action ,if I do I will advise of result be it success or failure!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks GYPSYMOTH4for your imput with regards poss fuel pump! I have been told exactly the same thing from my local kia garage aswell!!

I have now purchased a low mileage pump from an 06 plate sedona for £200 and im going to have a crack at fitting it myself tommorrow (friday)
so the same as you i shall keep you posted and will look forward to hearing how you get on with yours!!

Thanks again

Jim

·
Registered
249 Posts
powelly said:
Thanks GYPSYMOTH4for your imput with regards poss fuel pump! I have been told exactly the same thing from my local kia garage aswell!!

I have now purchased a low mileage pump from an 06 plate sedona for £200 and im going to have a crack at fitting it myself tommorrow (friday)
so the same as you i shall keep you posted and will look forward to hearing how you get on with yours!!

Thanks again

Jim
I think it's got to be programmed to the ecu after you've fitted it to enable it to work. Not 100% sure though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your help on this one so far!! BUT!!!!!
Just to let you know where i am with it at the moment. I have just finished fitting thenew (to me) fuel pump and i have had it running ok without programming it.After road testing it i have found it to be exactly the same with absolutely no improvement at all.
I have now removed the intercooler and cam box cover noise shield to expose the injectors.
I then removed the fuel leak off pipes @ each injector and have ran the engine @ tickover and noted that No 2 injector is leaking off a considerable amount more diesel than the others.
I am now thinking i have an injector @ fault.
iv removed all of them and im going to take them into a local diesel shop for bench testing on monday.
I am aware that if the injector positions are swap'd around or new ones fitted that the new "codes" will have to be programmed into the ecu!!.
Again will let you allknow how i get on

·
Registered
702 Posts
powelly said:
Thank you all for your help on this one so far!! BUT!!!!!
Just to let you know where i am with it at the moment. I have just finished fitting thenew (to me) fuel pump and i have had it running ok without programming it.After road testing it i have found it to be exactly the same with absolutely no improvement at all.
I have now removed the intercooler and cam box cover noise shield to expose the injectors.
I then removed the fuel leak off pipes @ each injector and have ran the engine @ tickover and noted that No 2 injector is leaking off a considerable amount more diesel than the others.
I am now thinking i have an injector @ fault.
iv removed all of them and im going to take them into a local diesel shop for bench testing on monday.
I am aware that if the injector positions are swap'd around or new ones fitted that the new "codes" will have to be programmed into the ecu!!.
Again will let you allknow how i get on

Just a tip for future use when I remove injectors I always paint numbers on them with Tippex or similar , it saves a lot of bother later down the road

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi I have these same fault codes coming up on my 2005 Sedona. I have changed the filter and no change. please tell me its not the fuel pump..... I had mine done on my 2001 Sedona a few years back. £2850!!!!!!!! altho warranty coughed up for the whole lot. how did you get on in the end guys????

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
when you get these symptoms it is advised to cut open the fuel filter and pour the contents in to a clear container, if you then place a magnet on the underneath side of the container you will find a puddle of filings, these filings will be spread through out the system, kia recommend to replace everything apart from the tank and pipes and to flush these out thoroughly, I would certainly clean out the tank and pipes and remove the fuel rail and flush it out, they are supposed to stop at the filter but you find that they get back to the tank.

·
Registered
9 Posts
sadly I have already replaced the fuel filter. maybe I could fish it out of the bin and have a look. that's some major work to clean the fuel system!!!!

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
tin snips, start with a hole, the puddle of filings if there is a fault with the pump will be the size of a 1p coin and there will be lots of them, also if this is the fault there will be lots of them visible on the bottom of the tank

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have now replaced the fuel pump with a 2nd hand pump and also replaced the cambelt while I was there. £58 for a belt!!! we now have it all back together and have fuel pressure but it will not start. ???? any ideas???

1 - 19 of 19 Posts