Kia Owners Club Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

Registered
Those Faraday cage pouches are mostly rubbish and a waste of money IMHO
Virtually all these car thefts are from outside of peoples homes at night and a simple metal tin will stop the signal dead.
I put our Soul keys in one of these and the spare key is in a separate tin.
Product Output device Rectangle Font Gas

Super Moderator
Virtually all these car thefts are from outside of peoples homes at night and a simple metal tin will stop the signal dead.
Have you tried it see if it works?

I just tried a old St Bruno rough cut (tobacco) tin I have in the garage for fuses. Did not work, could still open car door when stood next to car.

Super Moderator
I had a similar size tin and did the same, it didn't work. I lined it with crumpled kitchen foil, interior and lid, and that worked. However after a some regular use the foil flattened and the tin failed to block the signal again, you have to replace the foil frequently. I'm thinking of buying a proper Faraday box next.

Reactions: NorthYorkie

Premium Member
@NorthYorkie it would be interesting to know if your 2021 Sportage has the motion-sensor type fob - I suspect not. I suppose you could always try placing the fob close to the car, wait a few minutes and then try and open it on the handle button. But wait until the rain stops... ;)
Hi mr.macspot,

In a lull in the near persistent rain/drizzle this morning I carried out some experiments with the key fob and the car.

It would appear the fob on my 2021 Sportage does not have the motion sensor. Or of it does, it takes over 30 minutes to 鈥榞o to sleep鈥.

The problem of course is if it did have this feature, it is difficult to establish as every time the fob is moved, it 鈥榳akes it up鈥 and acts as the 'non motion sensor' type fobs do.

I will wait and see what Kia Customer Services say as I pm'd them the VIN etc.

Premium Member
I had a similar size tin and did the same, it didn't work. I lined it with crumpled kitchen foil, interior and lid, and that worked. However after a some regular use the foil flattened and the tin failed to block the signal again, you have to replace the foil frequently. I'm thinking of buying a proper Faraday box next.
I think I have the perfect method of securing the fob..............

Wrap fob in crumpled foil.
Place fob in a faraday pouch.
Wrap pouch in crumpled foil.
Place pouch in a faraday box.
Wrap faraday box in crumpled foil.
Store faraday box in the microwave oven (switched off of course).
Wrap the microwave oven in crumpled foil
Store microwave oven in a large fridge.

At this point I ran out of baco-foil, so couldn't wrap the fridge!

As to where I would have put the wrapped fridge, god only knows! :rolleyes:

Super Moderator
I think I have the perfect method of securing the fob..............

Wrap fob in crumpled foil.
Place fob in a faraday pouch.
Wrap pouch in crumpled foil.
Place pouch in a faraday box.
Wrap faraday box in crumpled foil.
Store faraday box in the microwave oven (switched off of course).
Wrap the microwave oven in crumpled foil
Store microwave oven in a large fridge.

At this point I ran out of baco-foil, so couldn't wrap the fridge!

As to where I would have put the wrapped fridge, god only knows! :rolleyes:
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Registered
Kia Sportage GT Line S 2019 (69 plate)
I put our Soul keys in one of these and the spare key is in a separate tin. View attachment 10876
Did you take tin out to car and make sure it blocks signal? I had mine in a small metal tin prior to me buying the metal case designed for the key and because there was small gaps where the hinges were on the tin, it let out the signal and I could open the car whilst the key was in tin.

Registered
Kia Sportage GT Line S 2019 (69 plate)
The link I posted to the metal box for the key on Amazon on here definitely works for me and is designed for this purpose and not had any issues myself. However, it鈥檚 whether people can justify the high price of the box. But for me I鈥檇 rather spend that than have a 拢25k car stolen.

Super Moderator
The link I posted to the metal box for the key on Amazon on here definitely works for me and is designed for this purpose and not had any issues myself. However, it鈥檚 whether people can justify the high price of the box. But for me I鈥檇 rather spend that than have a 拢25k car stolen.
Yes but your 'tin' is specifically designed for signal blocking, I was referring to KDMB's which is just a normal hinged tin and similar to the one I tried.

Reactions: Daveyboy123

Registered
Did you take tin out to car and make sure it blocks signal? I had mine in a small metal tin prior to me buying the metal case designed for the key and because there was small gaps where the hinges were on the tin, it let out the signal and I could open the car whilst the key was in tin.
I put the key fob in the tin and stood next to the car and it blocked the signal. Just to be sure, I tried it on all 4 sides with the same results. 馃憣馃

Registered
Someone told me they had a friend who had a friend who had a sister that told them they placed theirs in an old washed out baked bean can lined with tin foil and left that on top their fridge, that seemed to work..so they all said (y);)

Registered
...and of course you've all got your contactless debit/credit cards in similar wallets/purses yes?

If not then you should have.

This isn't tinfoil hat time but they're basically RFID chips which can be powered & read from a certain distance (50cm is supposed to be the standard) but various non-conforming till terminals (hello Co-Op) misread them from up to a couple of metres away. ie enough to take payment from adjacent tills. Then there's the Oyster card screwup where peoples debit cards got billed etc (google it). There's no end of it around the world. You try proving it to your bank in the UK though.

Keyless cars are a dumb idea IMHO but I may well be in the minority here :)

Super Moderator
...and of course you've all got your contactless debit/credit cards in similar wallets/purses yes?

If you have more than 1 then it is not a issue as they confuse each other... (y)

Registered

This isn't tinfoil hat time but they're basically RFID chips which can be powered & read from a certain distance (50cm is supposed to be the standard) but various non-conforming till terminals (hello Co-Op) misread them from up to a couple of metres away. ie enough to take payment from adjacent tills. Then there's the Oyster card screwup where peoples debit cards got billed etc (google it). There's no end of it around the world. You try proving it to your bank in the UK though.

Keyless cars are a dumb idea IMHO but I may well be in the minority here :)
Mine are in one.

Premium Member
@NorthYorkie it would be interesting to know if your 2021 Sportage has the motion-sensor type fob - I suspect not.
Hello again mr.macspot.

Kia Customer services have today replied re my request to them as stated in post #7 of this thread re which Kia vehicles (or at least if my 2021 Sportage having suplied the VIN number) had the 'motion sensor fobs' and/or 'unique-user identification'.

The response is:

We're waiting for confirmation from our product team on how to identify the models with this tech. Kind regards KCS

Edit at 1338hrs: further update from Kia Customer Services as follows:

We've confirmed the Sport age isn't currently manufactured with these features. We expect to see them rolled out across most models in the next few years. Kind regards KCS
They cannot even spell Sportage correctly!

Registered
Having proved that two brand new, supposedly quality, signal blocking pouches don't work, I am now very sceptical of any of the "fabric" type. It seems to me that the UHF 433Mhz signal in question will find it's way through the smallest of gaps as I found out on the Defender pouches I tried. I have subsequenty also tested biscuit, toffee and shoe polish tins all with
negative results and all of course ferrous metal, tinplate.
I am now convinced the only viable solution other than the disabling of the feature is the use of the type of aluminium box mentioned by Daveyboy123
these being CNC machined from solid aluminium.
To this end I have tried to emulate them by hand. However I have not found it easy and not yet achieved the complete signal blocking required. My accuracy wth needle filing is not yet good enough. One of the boxes is shown here:-

I guess at some point I will bite the bullet and lash out the money for professional ones.
Given the rise of relay theft over the last couple of years. I think it is scandalous that Kia can't write some lines of code to give the option in the car settings to disable/enable smart keyless entry.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.