Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,645 Posts
@NorthYorkie it would be interesting to know if your 2021 Sportage has the motion-sensor type fob - I suspect not. I suppose you could always try placing the fob close to the car, wait a few minutes and then try and open it on the handle button. But wait until the rain stops... ;)

Reactions: NorthYorkie

·
Super Moderator
3,645 Posts
A working Faraday pouch should not be recognized by the car even when right alongside. Normal operation of the fob is to be non effective at around 5 ft.
My experiences with the fob are exactly the same, the doors stop unlocking when the fob is around 5ft from the car. With them in the pouch the car won't unlock. The fob signal is weak, which is the whole point of a relay attack, the signal is amplified so the car will unlock even if the fob is further away.
To my mind if the car can be opened when the fob is in a pouch, no matter how far it is, then the pouch isn't working.

Reactions: Daveyboy123

·
Super Moderator
3,645 Posts
Those Faraday cage pouches are mostly rubbish and a waste of money IMHO
Virtually all these car thefts are from outside of peoples homes at night and a simple metal tin will stop the signal dead.
I put our Soul keys in one of these and the spare key is in a separate tin.
I had a similar size tin and did the same, it didn't work. I lined it with crumpled kitchen foil, interior and lid, and that worked. However after a some regular use the foil flattened and the tin failed to block the signal again, you have to replace the foil frequently. I'm thinking of buying a proper Faraday box next.

Reactions: NorthYorkie

·
Super Moderator
3,645 Posts
I think I have the perfect method of securing the fob..............

Wrap fob in crumpled foil.
Place fob in a faraday pouch.
Wrap pouch in crumpled foil.
Place pouch in a faraday box.
Wrap faraday box in crumpled foil.
Store faraday box in the microwave oven (switched off of course).
Wrap the microwave oven in crumpled foil
Store microwave oven in a large fridge.

At this point I ran out of baco-foil, so couldn't wrap the fridge!

As to where I would have put the wrapped fridge, god only knows! :rolleyes:
:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

·
Super Moderator
3,645 Posts
The link I posted to the metal box for the key on Amazon on here definitely works for me and is designed for this purpose and not had any issues myself. However, it’s whether people can justify the high price of the box. But for me I’d rather spend that than have a £25k car stolen.
Yes but your 'tin' is specifically designed for signal blocking, I was referring to KDMB's which is just a normal hinged tin and similar to the one I tried.

Reactions: Daveyboy123
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.