Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the time has come for the GT's second service and generally its been fine but a few points have annoyed me purely based on the poor quality of OEM kit fitted. The list of suggested replacements are:

Wipers, all round
Pollen filter (4 mths old)
Brake pads (front)

Now interestingly, recommended replacements are:

Brake discs (front)

So I can understand the wipers, a year isnt so bad however I found cleaning them and the screen fixed the garage's symptoms. Pollen filter clogged in 4 autumn months and a system disinfect required? Sorry, I call bs on that.

The thing that irks me though is the brakes. Less than a year in and it needs new discs? Never had a car with discs so pathetic before. How can they be more warn than the pads? In the past I've generally done two sets of pads to each set of discs. I asked the garage to check the cause as I was dumbfounded they needed replacement, their only explanation was thats how brakes work! What sort of cheese do kia make their discs out of. One thing is for sure, I won't be replacing them with OEM kit, although I knew that already.

·
Registered
284 Posts
What sort of cheese do kia make their discs out of.
Kia don't make brake discs.

They'll be sourced from one or more of the big name suppliers... Brembo, TRW, ATE etc etc

Did you get the actual thickness measurements of your discs so that you can actually quantify how worn they are?

Pollen filter you can clean out easily yourself. Takes 30 seconds to drop the glovebox to access it. No tools required.
If its really dirty they are less than £20 for a new filter.

·
Registered
973 Posts
They may NOT need doing, and just the dealer trying to pull a fast one.
As said, get the actual thickness measurements of your discs so that you can actually quantify how worn they are?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I think this is a dealer upsell tactic.

My discs and rear pads lasted 68,000 miles. The front pads lasted 50k miles. Do you live by the seaside or maybe do very little miles? That's the only reason your discs should be toast in low mileage.

I've found the quality of them to be really good to last that long, better than most EuroCarParts jobbies.

Pollen filter is a 12month thing, it shouldn't need replacing after 4 months!

Wipers lasted around 20k miles before they were knackered.

·
Registered
875 Posts
How many miles have you done Arthur ? Mine has just had 3rd year service and mot had nothing done as in brake pads or discs etc. Having said that I have only done 14500 miles. Roger

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Apologies to everyone that replied to my original post. Playing about in account settings I just found the thread by chance. Not sure why I never replied, it wasn't intentional.

In answer to people's points though, this was the 20k service. The wipers and filter are still going strong without problems. Probably about time both were replaced actually.
I had the front brakes done at a chain, pagid pads and discs for half the price kia quoted. Not long ago I had mintex pads put on when brake fade increased, the pagids lasting around 16k.
I never did get the actual disc measurements and experience tells me even when they say 99% worn, there can still be a lot of material left. I don't really quibble on brakes though, err on the side of caution and all that. When the pads were changed recently I was told the discs were 25% worn, significantly better than the kia originals.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It seems OEM brake discs are a weak point. When we test drove my wife's 67plate Cee'd in October last year, the brakes were awful. The dealer replaced the discs and pads all round as a precaution before purchase. The car had 9k on the clock!
I purchased my 64plate GT last month and after a spirited drive a couple of weeks ago the offside front brake started scrubbing. Last week I took the front wheels off and found the edge of the brake discs to have a big build up of crusted rust. I've owned over 30 cars from different manufacturers and have not experienced this issue of so much rust build up before. I can only assume that Kia OEM discs are made of slightly poorer quality steel.
I cleaned off all the rust with an old chisel and wire brush but will soon be fitting Brembo discs as I've been advised they are better quality. As an extra measure I may spray them with VHT paint before fitting (obviously not the braking surface though!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts