Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spend most of the time in the Sportage as a passenger and I must admit I haven't been overly impressed with the comfort of the seat. I think the problem stems from the fact that I have long legs and, unfortunately, find that the seat provides insufficient support under my thighs. Oddly enough, I find the driving seat pretty comfortable. I have had the same problem with other cars and have improved the comfort considerably by raising the front of the seat by adding spaces under the seat frame front mounts.
The front mounts...

Longer bolts and three sets of aluminium spacers in10mm, 15mm & 25mmheights.

The finished job with the 25mm spacers in place.
So far I am very pleased with the result as the seat now provides adequate support and is much more comfortable... for me. Mrs T has yet to try it out and I may have to comprise on spacer height if she finds it uncomfortable.Note that the bolt threads are metric M10with a 1.25 (fine) pitch.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Hi

Wonder how you stand regards the warranty? Bit worried you have changed the whole dynamics of the front mounts and as it is now may tend to shear these bolts in an accident (God forbid)

regards

TP

·
Registered
9 Posts
My thoughts as well when I saw that last night. Funny how us offshore drilling guys think about things like that ;)

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't say that I am unduly worried.

I used to design vehicles for a living and am still heavily involved in automotive design/engineering in my day job.

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll qualify the above post by saying that, considering the seat mechanism as a whole, I'm not worried about the bolts shearing... even in an accident. However, I'm considering amending the design of the spacer to extend it rearwards as I'm slightly concerned that the mount may deform due to lack of support under the 'heel'.

Thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Hi

Safety is paramount in cars and the new sportage gets a very good
rating. I am sure many hundreds of people within the Kia corporation are
involved in ensuring this comes first. All I am saying is please be
wary of carrying out any mods that may effect the safety of people
travelling in your car.

Yes as Mike T has guessed I have worked on offshore installations for
well over 30 years and maybe I am paranoid about safety (well justified
by the way) but remember safety starts at home as my dear old mother
used to say.

Why not run the mod past Kia before taking any action

kind regards

TP

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree with toolpusher, you should check it out with Kia (ref warranty), butI also agree with the principle of what you've done as I also find the seat squab too short and uncomfortable if seated any length of time in it. It's a pity that along with the massive standard range of toys onboard they didn't fit tiltable front seat squabs. Keep us all posted if you have reply from Kia (they're poor at facing up to 'issues'!).

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm afraid I haven't contacted Kia and I don't intend to because, having worked for a motor manufacturer, I'm pretty sure I know what the answer will be.

I'm working on a modified spacer that fully supports the front seat mounting at the mo. Slightly lower at Mrs T's request. The difference in comfort, before and after, is like night and day so it's not going back to stock, although it is fully reversible in less than five minutes if desired.

I suppose some kind of wedge shaped cushion might do the same job. It would have to be fairly dense foam though. Memory foam maybe.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi Techno

i have the same prob with my picanto seat, its uncomfortable position, i have been to the garage and they state the pedals are not adjustable, so was considering doing the same as you, would be interested in purchasing 25mm spacers from you, if you have any spares, do you have to do anything to the rear mounts?

thanks

Ewan

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Ewan, I'm afraid the spacers were a one off favour so I don't have any spare.

I didn't touch the rear mounts and I wouldn't advise doing so. In a frontal impact they do pretty much all the work in holding the seat in place.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hi Techno

Be careful altering your seat from themanufacturers settings I had a case with a rover many years ago and altering the seat can affect you insurance in case of accidents just have a quick check.

wiggytheone

Sirus Silver Sportage to hide the sand

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Noted. Thanks.

My next project is going to be some special trousers with padding on the back of my thighs that gets thicker as it approaches the back of my knees.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts