Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi My Name Ahmed and i am now a proud owner of a Kia Sportage 2.0 CRDi-GT Line Model (AWD) 2016 model, (NAL587) and i am in need of some help/advice or general know how. I foolishly purchased this car from a non Kia dealer and on my way home noticed the Sat Nav wasn't working, called the Sale dept of the garage i purchased the car from, asking them why the sat nav wasn't working. Apparently the previous owner of the car (lease company) had removed it, and that this is norm now when selling cars, people remove the SD card to sell on ebay. This doesn't help me as i have a fabulous car but no sat nav. I need some advise, i know the sd card i need is SD Card 96554-F1000 Compact UK & Europe, but after reading some blogs on this site, it seems i could possibly download from a certain site the maps etc, but my main problem is i am not sure which GEN I need !!! not even sure what that means.
any help would be gratefully appreciated as i just want to enjoy this car using all its features, and feel a bit deflated by the garage for their non help in this.
thanks again

·
Registered
339 Posts
This has been covered before on this site, so it may be worth using the search tool to find the thread. For what it's worth here are my observations;

"Apparently the previous owner of the car (lease company) had removed it, and that this is norm now when selling cars, people remove the SD card to sell on ebay. "

Unless the garage made it clear to you, before the sale, that the SD card was missing you should remind them that under the sale of goods act they have to sell a functioning car - in it's entirety - the NAV unit is a component of the car so you had a reasonable expectation that it would work.

I'm pretty sure that secondhand or not does not absolve them of responsibility. If they don't cough up a functioning SD card a word with the local Council Trading Standards office may be appropriate.

BTW did they give you two key fobs as well? If not I'd chase them for that. Apparently (if I remember the other post correctly) lease companies also retain the second key fob so that they can re-possess the car if necessary. If you need a second fob you will find them very expensive.

In regards to a self install best to post a picture of your NAV unit's info screen showing the SW/FW versions currently installed. Someone here will be able to tell you what version of SW/FW/Maps you will need.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This has been covered before on this site, so it may be worth using the search tool to find the thread. For what it's worth here are my observations;

"Apparently the previous owner of the car (lease company) had removed it, and that this is norm now when selling cars, people remove the SD card to sell on ebay. "

Unless the garage made it clear to you, before the sale, that the SD card was missing you should remind them that under the sale of goods act they have to sell a functioning car - in it's entirety - the NAV unit is a component of the car so you had a reasonable expectation that it would work.

I'm pretty sure that secondhand or not does not absolve them of responsibility. If they don't cough up a functioning SD card a word with the local Council Trading Standards office may be appropriate.

BTW did they give you two key fobs as well? If not I'd chase them for that. Apparently (if I remember the other post correctly) lease companies also retain the second key fob so that they can re-possess the car if necessary. If you need a second fob you will find them very expensive.

In regards to a self install best to post a picture of your NAV unit's info screen showing the SW/FW versions currently installed. Someone here will be able to tell you what version of SW/FW/Maps you will need.

Attachments

·
Registered
525 Posts
Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy your Sportage.
There is a previous post from a Sportage owner who had the same problem here. Radiorail is correct, the garage who sold you the car should have supplied the sat nav SD card. Saying the the lease company kept it is not good enough.

The current software release is 2019 and should if you go look at this thread on the Kia Customer Services section the first post on the first page identifies all the version types. My 2017 Sportage has the 2019 software and looks like the image below. The software is usually updated in the 2nd quarter of the year, the last two years it was in June.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy your Sportage.
There is a previous post from a Sportage owner who had the same problem here. Radiorail is correct, the garage who sold you the car should have supplied the sat nav SD card. Saying the the lease company kept it is not good enough.

The current software release is 2019 and should if you go look at this thread on the Kia Customer Services section the first post on the first page identifies all the version types. My 2017 Sportage has the 2019 software and looks like the image below. The software is usually updated in the 2nd quarter of the year, the last two years it was in June.
How do I download it?

·
Registered
339 Posts
!!!! mr.macsport beat me to it while I was "slow" typing !!!

You can't 'legally' download it - you will have to search for other routes to download SD card images. Some are detailed around this forum.

From the above link it would appear that your NAV unit is currently at the 2018 System version.

I think you will need to find a way to get an SD card to upgrade to the 2019 versions in the above listing or get a SD card to match the 2018 versions then get Kia to upgrade to 2019 (£25 recommended charge)

I'm not that sure what the upgrade route is. It maybe that the SW requires a different card to upgrade then the maps are added. Hopefully one of the usual contributors to the NAV unit upgrades will jump in and add some detail.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Kia Dealers update the software upon request for a £25 fee, assuming you have a pproper SD card. There is a long thread about downloading and self installing, I recommend you use the site search facility to find it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Just out of interest, if you took a blank sd card to a dealer, would they do maps for the same £25 fee or would they demand full replacement costs?

·
Super Moderator
2,445 Posts
Given the OP appears to be Swedish. They maybe able to download the maps.
I think the OP has 2 options. Ask Kia Sweden to see what they say. Or go back to the dealer and complain. I no idea on Swedish consumer regulations.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Given the OP appears to be Swedish. They maybe able to download the maps.
I think the OP has 2 options. Ask Kia Sweden to see what they say. Or go back to the dealer and complain. I no idea on Swedish consumer regulations.
I hadn't noticed the OP was Swedish. Most of what I've said is rubbish, as I don't know what Swedish consumer rights are either.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I have successfully downloaded from this site.
(or I should say my son did it for me)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts