Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi My Name is Debbie and i am now a proud owner of a Kia Sportage 2.0 CRDi-GT Line Model (AWD) 2016 model, and i am in need of some help/advice or general know how. I foolishly purchased this car from a non Kia dealer and on my way home noticed the Sat Nav wasn't working, called the Sale dept of the garage i purchased the car from, asking them why the sat nav wasn't working. Apparently the previous owner of the car (lease company) had removed it, and that this is norm now when selling cars, people remove the SD card to sell on ebay. This doesn't help me as i have a fabulous car but no sat nav. I need some advise, i know the sd card i need is SD Card 96554-F1000 Compact UK & Europe, but after reading some blogs on this site, it seems i could possibly download from a certain site the maps etc, but my main problem is i am not sure which GEN I need !!! not even sure what that means.
any help would be gratefully appreciated as i just want to enjoy this car using all its features, and feel a bit deflated by the garage for their non help in this.
thanks again

·
Registered
30 Posts
You should be able to get one from a Kia Main Dealer - there are some genuine ones on E-bay from Main dealers as follows :-

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, i have tried ebay but no one is selling one, and the cost of a new one from my local dealer is £135+ Vat, so looking for information on downloading one but not sure what my generation is for the car/sat nav as cannot access the setting on the sat nav as no sd card, so i'm a bit stuck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Do you know anyone with the same (or similar) model? I think the Satnav is pretty generic for all Kia & Hyundai cars, but if it's the right SD card it should have 96554-F1000 written on it.
It ought to be fairly easy to copy their SD card onto a blank of the same capacity.
(Make sure to write protect their card to prevent accidents)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Personally I'd get one from a dealer, but I'm a cautious old g*t. :rolleyes:
If you have a search on the threads you will find plenty of sat nav advice, I think '2019 Software and Maps Update just done' may be what you are looking for (it's a long thread).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would pursue this with the selling garage and, like Debbie has said, would be deflated at their initial response to the issue. If the car was advertised as having Sat Nav, then it should have it! A missing SD card means that there is no working Sat Nav in the car, which is surely a contravention / misinterpretation under the Sales of Goods act - and something that the selling garage is responsible for, and something they should be held accountable for.

·
Registered
126 Posts
As above the selling dealer has sold you a vehicle with a know fault (they should have checked sat nav was working) subsequently blaming the previous owner is avoiding their responsibility:confused:

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
not sure which GEN I need
Welcome to the forum, 'debbie68'.

The attached docs provide some information about the satnav and the various generations with lists of models/years to which they apply.

If one of the Sportage owners, or indeed anyone, can confirm which 'Gen' applies to your 2016 model, then you will know which you need. I have three spare 32Gb SD cards all with the 2019 (2) Gen 5 update but I don't think that is the one for your Sportage.

The SD card used by KIA is 32Gb and any blank card of that capacity will suffice once formatted as ex-Fat. Perhaps if you were to supply a correctly-formatted blank SD card to a benevolent and IT-proficient Sportage owner whose card is up-to-date, they might copy the files for you?

If not, once you have established which generation is applicable to your model, you could download the latest files from a 'torrent' site on the web but do it through a third-party site to protect your computer from nasty people with evil intent!

Best of luck with the problem but the selling agent is technically liable unless you were told pre-purchase that there was no working satnav in the car.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for your comments and helpful information, I will try to download the program onto a blank sd card and send a letter to the garages head office as I didn’t get anyway with the showroom. Thank you all again

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi all just had an interesting call from the garages head office checking to see how I like my new car. After explaining about my local showroom telling me about no Sd card in sat nav they have investigated and called me back. they have located my spare key and the sd card which wasn't sent to the garage when the car moved from their main hub to one of their 15 showrooms. Should receive it next week. Thank you all again for the advise.but so glad the head office customer Care line called.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Glad you got it sorted without having to spend any (additional) money. Not really sure I would have been happy taking delivery of the car if both keys were not available though, if the garage were initially going to have to get a 2nd key programmed for you (if they could not locate it) then that would have meant the original 2nd key was missing - and who knows who has it or where!

·
Registered
269 Posts
........(if they could not locate it) then that would have meant the original 2nd key was missing - and who knows who has it or where!
Presumably the garage could delete the second key from the vehicle security system so that it could not be used to access or steel the car????

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
The keys could be deleted and then the original one plus new one reprogrammed back in.. But old key would still unlock doors and steering lock thus allowing it to be towed away, then be programmed again with that key, or with the laptop, done on site of theft and driven away.
Only one key with car often denotes that the car was an ex lease car and leasing company retain one key so that it can easily be reposessed if needed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts