Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Sportage 2017 (67) 1.7 crdi manual
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i must have read a million posts but i cant find the answer. i bought a 64gb card to do my sat nav update as the website specifically says it must be a card thats over 32gb. it then says it must be formatted to fat32, which i can do manually however the update software is saying it cant format the card to fat32 as its over 32gb?? can i just manually copy the update files to the card or do i need the program to do this for me?

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
can i just manually copy the update files to the card or do i need the program to do this for me?
It's best to keep it simple so use a 32Gb SD card and not a larger capacity one. The download programme will format the card correctly without any input from you so long as you have it inserted in your computer or attached via an adaptor so long as it is recognised by your computer.

ps Further to my last, if there should be a 32Gb card already in the slot adjacent to the infotainment screen, and you are sure you want to update to the latest (somewhat flawed) system, then there is no reason why you can't utilise that card as the programme will format it accordingly.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's best to keep it simple so use a 32Gb SD card and not a larger capacity one. The download programme will format the card correctly without any input from you so long as you have it inserted in your computer or attached via an adaptor so long as it is recognised by your computer.

ps Further to my last, if there should be a 32Gb card already in the slot adjacent to the infotainment screen, and you are sure you want to update to the latest (somewhat flawed) system, then there is no reason why you can't utilise that card as the programme will format it accordingly.

im using the card from the car. just copying over now. the website says use a card with more than 32gb of space, so i ordered a 64gb. the software however says use no bigger than 32gb. ill always find uses for the sd card so its not money wasted

·
Super Moderator
9,401 Posts
You do not need to format SD card or USB stick. As downloader does it before transfering files.
I do seem to remember, that it was mention on update site that a 64Gig SD card was a good option as file sizes do get bigger.

I hope that anyone using the card out of their car is copying the files from that on to their hard drive 1st. Just incase anything goes wrong with the transfer of the new files. (y)

@Yan101 If you read 2. again. You will notice it says "Must be more than 32 GB" 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You do not need to format SD card or USB stick. As downloader does it before transfering files.
I do seem to remember, that it was mention on update site that a 64Gig SD card was a good option as file sizes do get bigger.

I hope that anyone using the card out of their car is copying the files from that on to their hard drive 1st. Just incase anything goes wrong with the transfer of the new files. (y)

@Yan101 If you read 2. again. You will notice it says "Must be more than 32 GB" 🤷‍♂️

The software won't format a card bigger than 32gb into fat32. That was the issue I had. It actually says on the software no bigger then 32gb which is contradictory to the website. I backed up the cars sd card and I'm using that one. The update is only 24gb and the card from the car still had 9gb free from the previous install.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Product Font Communication Device Screenshot Rectangle
Azure Font Screenshot Technology Multimedia

heres what the appplication says when you try and use a 64gb card already formatted to fat32, also tried exfat but as you say, the app wants to format the card anyway and wont do more than a 32gb card

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
View attachment 13337 View attachment 13338

heres what the appplication says when you try and use a 64gb card already formatted to fat32, also tried exfat but as you say, the app wants to format the card anyway and wont do more than a 32gb card
I used a 64Gb USB stick. I got the same message as at the first pic, but when I selected Yes, I did not get the second. I carried on and successfully downloaded the files and installed them on my car. Another example of Kia inconsistency?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used a 64Gb USB stick. I got the same message as at the first pic, but when I selected Yes, I did not get the second. I carried on and successfully downloaded the files and installed them on my car. Another example of Kia inconsistency?

Was yours a USB stuck install or an sd card?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
USB stick

That may be where the difference lies. I wonder if some updates require more than 32gb such as newer models. However the instructions I read were the ones for my head unit and stipulated sd card on the website.

The car had a 32gb card already so I just used that one. The actual install was really quick. Took about 10 mins

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
That may be where the difference lies. I wonder if some updates require more than 32gb such as newer models. However the instructions I read were the ones for my head unit and stipulated sd card on the website.

The car had a 32gb card already so I just used that one. The actual install was really quick. Took about 10 mins
My update file was only 27Gb, I just didn’t have a smaller USB stick available to use.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My update file was only 27Gb, I just didn’t have a smaller USB stick available to use.

Yeah it was odd because it said make sure you have 54gb free for the download. But it was 24gb. It looks better than the previous update. I'm hoping it's fixed the issue of the sat nav sound only coming from the left side. I'll test it later.

·
Registered
MY21 Stonic GT-Line S ISG MHEV iMT - sw220211 - map14.47.48.631.401.5
581 Posts
There may be two issues here at play, and a third one too:
  • you can technically format a 64gb sd card to FAT32, but not natively in Windows. You must use an external program to do it (or Linux)
  • even if you did manage to format the SD card to 64gb in FAT32, the cars infotainment system might not be able to read it.
  • obviously the online documentation should have said ‘at least 32GB’ or even specify ‘up to 32GB for SD cards’

Reactions: mr.macspot

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There may be two issues here at play, and a third one too:
  • you can technically format a 64gb sd card to FAT32, but not natively in Windows. You must use an external program to do it (or Linux)
  • even if you did manage to format the SD card to 64gb in FAT32, the cars infotainment system might not be able to read it.
  • obviously the online documentation should have said ‘at least 32GB’ or even specify ‘up to 32GB for SD cards’

I formatted mine on mac to fat32 with ease but the app itself wants to format anyway so it makes no difference really. I'm sure I read on another thread that they successfully did it in exfat. It's just easier to either back up the existing card and use that. Or buy another 32gb. Like u say. It should say no more than 32gb on the website too like on the app. Or be specific and say 32gb sd card. It's all done now, hopefully it'll help someone else. I was worried I would brick the unit 😂 luckily it went smoothly

·
Registered
MY21 Stonic GT-Line S ISG MHEV iMT - sw220211 - map14.47.48.631.401.5
581 Posts
I formatted mine on mac to fat32 with ease but the app itself wants to format anyway so it makes no difference really. I'm sure I read on another thread that they successfully did it in exfat. It's just easier to either back up the existing card and use that. Or buy another 32gb. Like u say. It should say no more than 32gb on the website too like on the app. Or be specific and say 32gb sd card. It's all done now, hopefully it'll help someone else. I was worried I would brick the unit 😂 luckily it went smoothly
You don’t need to use the program to copy the files. You can do so manually yourself.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts