Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks
What should I top up the screen washer reservoir with on the kia?

I have been told to only use water otherwise the pump filter will get blocked.

But the hand book says washer fluid?

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
662 Posts
blocking occurs when too much concentration of screen wash is added or its mixed with other stuff like washing up liquid use one make and stick to the instructions and you will be ok

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Paul
Will run it dry and stick with one type of fluid.

But what will happen when I take it into kia for its service?

Will they top it up and with what?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Forum Newbee here hope you don't mind me butting in. Being an Italian(scorethrough) errr... Scotsman I use a mixture of 1/2 screenwash 1/4 water then 1/4 methylated spirit. Methylated spirit is 1. Cheap 2. Acts like vinegar and 3. Stops from freezing works great for me and has done for the last ** years of driving. Obviously you will need to try out what concentration of Meth spirit suits your own vehicle. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
when my wifes Sportage get low on sreen wash, the fluid that comes out is like jelly

Keep intending to remove the washer bottle and clean it out (when I find the time)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I buy the cheapest screenwash concentrate for 75p a litre from Wilkinson and top it up with deionised water from work. I have to top up every week so it's never hanging around in the tank for long.

Screenwash is usually methanol or propan-2-ol (isopropyl alcohol) with a bit of blue dye added. These are dirt cheap materials and can be bought from fleecebay etc.

Methalated spirits is usually a mix of methanol and ethanol, so should be ok. I use deionised water so it is free of all the crap that comes out of the tap where I live.

·
Registered
35 Posts
only water will freeze in this water we're having right now, lol

my mixture is2 parts boiled water cooled down (which is more or less like deionised water) and1 part concentrate washer fluid of your choice (i got a big bottle from Halfords which is green instead of blue
), and 1 part of RainX washer additive.

At least Kia's are not fussy about what fluids they use. My old Ibiza used to be a fine art of getting the most out of the fan type sprayers and not freezing up and popping out the washer pipes!

·
Registered
543 Posts
I use ready mixed from halfords personally because I've never really none but I wax my windscreen and never use it any way only when somin bad lands on it !

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
tkjeeves said:
only water will freeze in this water we're having right now, lol

my mixture is2 parts boiled water cooled down (which is more or less like deionised water) and1 part concentrate washer fluid of your choice (i got a big bottle from Halfords which is green instead of blue
), and 1 part of RainX washer additive.

At least Kia's are not fussy about what fluids they use. My old Ibiza used to be a fine art of getting the most out of the fan type sprayers and not freezing up and popping out the washer pipes!

Boiling water will remove some of the carbonates, but will not affect the sulphate concentration much. This is what the bugs like to feed on when oxygen is limited (eg in a sealed washer bottle). It's the bugs that make the gel like crap.However, if your alcohol concentration is high enough it should kill the bugs off.
Edited by: M4trundler

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
That would be a waste...use Japanese "Whisky" instead. You don't want to be temped to drink from your washer bottle when you're thirsty do you? lol

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Och we have got loads of the stuff. That much we canny drink it awe. Well we get plenty rain up here to make it with.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Davy- If a Scotsman ever put whisky in his washer bottle it would have a long tube comin` from it and tied to the top of the steering wheel.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts