Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after a short trip to the shops, i started the car to find that my Audio/Nav Screen is blank with a load of lines...
given the it had the Dealer service & MOT 3 weeks ago. (along with the fuse recall) i am not best pleased.

Has anyone had the same issue? and is my screen (and reversing camera) gone for good?
I've checked the manual and the units only appear to be warrantied for 60K or 3 years...I'll contact KIA tomorrow to get a quote a least...
20210713_153139460_iOS.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,845 Posts
You don't say what year your car is. Have you tried a reset?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sorry. It's a 2016 (QL) 1.7 Diesel. It's a later model with the touchsreen, satnav/rev camera Apple Play. etc..
how do i perform a reset? tia

·
Super Moderator
1,845 Posts
There is a small pin hole on the dash near the rotary Volume/On Off button, gently push something in like a pen or pencil (I use a paper clip which I've opened up).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks, i'll try it now! (Edit) OK tried that, you can see the colours change, but the screen isn't displaying correctly, neither is the reversing camera, looks like its properly dead.

·
Super Moderator
1,845 Posts
Thanks, i'll try it now! (Edit) OK tried that, you can see the colours change, but the screen isn't displaying correctly, neither is the reversing camera, looks like its properly dead.
Was worth a try. Looks like it is back to the dealer I'm afraid, although be aware I think the warranty on the media system is not part of the cars seven years.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks, yeah i'll call them tomorrow, and the Nav/Unit is only 3 years warranty...(looking at other posts from other models someone was quoted something like £3800 for a new unit and that was 3 years ago!)

·
Super Moderator
5,415 Posts
Someone did make a post about just getting the screen replaced from a 3rd party that solved their problem, which was like yours.

Sadly can't find the link.

No idea on this co, or if it anywhere near you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, although they aren't local. i've previously used a local company to retrofitted a MFSW to my old passat and was really happy with the service, so i'll try there if the dealer is of no help. It's just sad that i would probably void the remaining warranty..

·
Registered
Sportage 2017 (67) 1.7 crdi manual
264 Posts
Theres a few on ebay, taken out of salvage cars most likely. Around £200, not sure what they're like for fitting or if they'd be a straight swap? My worst nightmare is that packing in.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Thanks, although they aren't local. i've previously used a local company to retrofitted a MFSW to my old passat and was really happy with the service, so i'll try there if the dealer is of no help. It's just sad that i would probably void the remaining warranty..
You won't, for example, void the warranty on the engine and gearbox etc, and the warranty on the head unit has expired anyway

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so my screen official died today...i've still got the Radio and reversing sensors..havnt tried ApplePlay or changing the A/C yet!
so I guess the next question is, has anyone replaced the unit themselves? how easy is it to get out?
On the plus side i have a year till the next MOT & Service to get in done.

·
Registered
264 Posts
so my screen official died today...i've still got the Radio and reversing sensors..havnt tried ApplePlay or changing the A/C yet!
so I guess the next question is, has anyone replaced the unit themselves? how easy is it to get out?
On the plus side i have a year till the next MOT & Service to get in done.
I've changed plenty of car stereos. But I'd have no idea about how to get this one out. It's usually quite obvious how they come out but mines so flush to the dash I've no idea. Maybe youtube it?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Just spotted this on ebay. Seems like the cheapest on there at £135, obviously make sure its the same as your own.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Yan,
I also found that video, and looks quite simple. I've seen other threads that have said about possible can-bus/pairing issues with the ECU with second hand units, so still undecided if i should try my local dealer for a good will exchange, or give it a go myself. (i've got time to thing about it) but annoyingly i the main screen is the only place that displays the time, and A/C temperature.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've checled a few of the ebay listings, but it doesn't look like it would have the apple/play bluetooth connectivity (and mine as "bluetooth" written on the top right of the unit....)
i think most of them retail for about £200, so its not a huge price to pay considering this has been my usual MOT repair costs for the last few years!

·
Registered
264 Posts
I've checled a few of the ebay listings, but it doesn't look like it would have the apple/play bluetooth connectivity (and mine as "bluetooth" written on the top right of the unit....)
i think most of them retail for about £200, so its not a huge price to pay considering this has been my usual MOT repair costs for the last few years!

Yeah. Maybe an aftermarket unit instead? But to get a decent one you're talking the same money. I'm sure someone posted a place that repairs the screens too? Maybe worth a look

·
Administrator
7,624 Posts
As a suggestion have you tried a breakers yard.

Nowadays they remove and post parts to you.

Have a look on eBay...

Just make sure there is no active code on them.

Paul

1 - 19 of 19 Posts