Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have an issue that after driving the car for about 30 mins when i break there is a scrapping sound on the rear disks, initially the gargae said it was a warped disk, so they replaced them with new ones, it seemed to work for about a day, then the noise came back, now its as it was before.
so cant be the disks.
its only when the brakes get hot i think, and its like a scrape on 1 revolution and not all the time

Any ideas

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
First of all give us what car it is.. wondering if the garage actually checked for a stuck calliper piston and just took for granted the discs were the problem..

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Ok thanks for that its good to know.. but my comment still stands in post 2.. get it checked out by a garage that knows what they are doing next time and specifically ask them to check for a sticking piston and calliper slide pins..

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
i know they said the pistons were a bit sticky but they lubricated them, so possibly the slide pins, as they just put old set of pads back on

Ok so a quick old job then slap um back in they will be ok.. sorry its not my way.. wife thinks I'm obsessive but I know the consequences of a bodge job.. your life depends on them and one of the most important systems on a car and to me it has to done correctly.. I will tell you know I've seen some right old bodge jobs in my time done on family cars to their brakes when I was not let loose on them because I was ill at that time.. get it looked at and next time dont use Bodge it and Leg it.. good luck..

·
Super Moderator
9,436 Posts
i know they said the pistons were a bit sticky but they lubricated them, so possibly the slide pins, as they just put old set of pads back on
So new disks, but stick the old pads back in.... Not good practise even if plenty of meat on the pads.

A garage to avoid....

Could be as Phil implies, or it could be shield catching.

·
Registered
Sportage 2017 (67) 1.7 crdi manual
350 Posts
So new disks, but stick the old pads back in.... Not good practise even if plenty of meat on the pads.

A garage to avoid....

Could be as Phil implies, or it could be shield catching.

That's my thoughts exactly. Why put old pads in. For the sake of a few quid on new ones. My guess would be slider pins, my dad gets this regular on a honda crv

·
Registered
213 Posts
I had that on mine, normally when turning. It turned out to be the pads wear sensor. Bit old skool it is a U-shaped bracket attached to one pad that contacts the disc when the pads have worn, I would have thought new discs would mean new pads, but who knows when someone else has done the work. The same principle is applied front and back.
I had a seized slide on one caliper on the front this made a subtle clonk when braking.
As mentioned I assume you have a receipt that indicates all items replaced that should include pads.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.