Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I've had my Kia Cee'd about 3 months now, it is a 2009 1.6 Auto Petrol. I've recently noticed that when I come to a stop the brakes are making a scraping noise. I've tried to have a look at the brake pads to see if they are compeltely worn but they appear to be fine and the brakes are still responsive, could this just be down to the cold weather or does it sound like I need new pads/discs? If I do get the pads/discs replaced, do I have to have it done at a kia dealer to prevent voiding my warranty?

Also, i've noticed an unusual sound coming from the engine bay when its driving along sometimes, its kind of a chugging sound, if anyone remembers the game show wheel of fortune, its kind of like thenoise the wheel made when the contestants span ithard to describe really. Anyone experienced anything similar to this before?

Cheers

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Probablyacousticwear warning on pads. When they are getting low you will hear this, they will often continueto make noise even when not applying brake. (usually start making noise when down to 3mm)
Edited by: BIRDMAN

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Do you get it after you've left the car standing for a while, particularly after rain? Then whenyou've been driving a while it goes away? If so, then it's the discs forming a layer of rust, which then wears away once you use the brakes a bit.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I made a thread about the brakes when i first got my car in july,I would say its normal i think its just surface rust,Happens more when left outside in the cold weather.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The brake pad material is pretty hard so when a slow brake is performaned you may experience slight noise. The other thing is the noise you will get from the pads clearing the discs from surface rust and water.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
It's the same on the Rio, they form a rust layer very quickly. I don't think the metal is that great, thequality seems poor. When I change the pads for the first time, I think I will have to change the discs as well.

·
Registered
118 Posts
In my case, there is noise from the rear wheels (like rubbing something, the pad on the disc), and the noise is noticeable inside the cabin too.
Furthermore, I noticed that the rear left wheel is not rotating freely when the car is on a ramp. It makes the same noise as when braking. What could it be?

In addition, I noticed a metallic noise from the exact same spot when hovering over small bumps. This could possibly be the handbrake drum???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts