Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I took delivery of my Carens yesterday, so far so good. I read a couple of references on the Forum as to using a "scanguage", I guess it's a gadget similar to the one I used to have which connected to the OBD plug in my old VW. Could anyone point me to any threads, or further reading, which would enlighten me as to it's use please? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi, Yep, it connects to the odb socket. I have the scangaugeE connected to mine. They are a bit pricey if you ask me ... but it does read engine codes if you ever get one pop up which can save you some cash. Easy to fit to the carens to. Ipoppedthe top dash cover and threaded the cable through to the odb socket. 10 min job. Mine is sat on top of the dash cover, very tidy.

If you want any more info, just shout

Phil.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just messaged the eBay seller of this one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140611230014&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

My Message = "I
have a KIA Carens, I'm told the engine management light frequently pops
up on these, although, so far I haven't had it happen yet, but would
this scanner give a fault code if that happened and could it be used to
turn it off? Thanks
"

The Answer = "sorry won't work. Thank"s

I've just sent the Question: "The item description says : Determines why the ""Check Engine Light ( MIL)""� is on and turns it off. But you say it doesn't communicate with the engine management system on the KIA Carens?

Regards"

Edited by: fofeg101

·
Registered
437 Posts
If you have an 09 cares then why you bothering as it will still have around 2 years warranty left on it. They had 5 years on the Carens

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mr Kia said:
If you have an 09 cares then why you bothering as it will still have around 2 years warranty left on it. They had 5 years on the Carens
I have transferred the remaining warranty on my Carens, nearly two years, to myself. But, the KIA warranty does have exclusions, and uses the word "etc.", which could refer to any part of the vehicle they didn't want to do anything about, presumably. My car has to go in next week to have two recall jobs fixed and a new motor fitted to the inner door mirror, all under warranty. However I have a suspension issue, possible duff rear shock absorber, or more, the lady at the dealership service department said they would "take a look at it"...looking ain't fixing. We'll see.

Edited by: fofeg101

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi fofeg,

I have a scanguage II on my Carens. Had engine management light come on three times - each time with code 000fff - googling finds this is a spurious code, due to glitch in the canbus network.(common to many vehicles using canbus)
Scanguage resets light, saved £40+ per time for visit to dealer to check ,tell me there's no faults ,and reset it.(Most dealers charge you if no faults found!) Mine sits on top of the steering wheel housing using velcro. Not cheap, (£100) but just these three resets have saved it's cost.
You can download all the codes from the scanguage site.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Trust me, almost everything is covered. By the way 000fff is not a Kia fault code and could be scanguage giving you duff info the most common problem on the carena is egr valve sticking which won't always produce a fault code. I say save your money as hardly anything engine management related goes wrong on them. Also reference the dealer "taking a look" isn't fixing it..... How are they supposed to know what and how to fix it without knowing what it is? Multiple visits may be needed I'm afraid. Ast least your just about to get a free valet and roadside kit for your troubles.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies Guys, I'm going to get my Carens fixed...if possible, then it's going to be trade in time for me. I have a friend in the USA who bought a Sedona a couple of years back, she kept it for just over a year and changed it for a Ford Explorer, I'm beginning to see why.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mr Kia said:
Trust me, almost everything is covered. By the way 000fff is not a Kia fault code and could be scanguage giving you duff info the most common problem on the carena is egr valve sticking which won't always produce a fault code. I say save your money as hardly anything engine management related goes wrong on them. Also reference the dealer "taking a look" isn't fixing it..... How are they supposed to know what and how to fix it without knowing what it is? Multiple visits may be needed I'm afraid. Ast least your just about to get a free valet and roadside kit for your troubles.
Thanks for the reply Mr Kia, You've lost me I'm afraid "free valet and roadside kit"...how come?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts