Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new Stonic in September last year. Handover from the salesman was rubbish, but he did give me a data card case. I assume therefore that I need to have the satnav updated as it seems a card is installed under the screen. Can’t find anything in the two inch thick manual. Can anyone advisePlease?

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,435 Posts
You do not have to have the media system/sat nav updated, many choose to ignore it and use Android Auto/Apple Carplay for maps and entertainment, using their mobile phone connected via a USB data cable. However if like me, you are happy to use the fitted system you can get it updated by a Kia dealership, it should cost £40 and has to be requested.
Updates are released yearly, usually between April and June, however last years pandemic delayed the release until September. As a consequence there is a good chance your car still has the 2019 maps, the dealer does not have to update media system before selling the car.
Personally I would wait until the next update is released. If you look in the Kia Customer Services section you will see when they announce updates. Last years announcement is here.
Why they have given you a data card case I have no idea. I don't know the layout on the Stonic, but the SD Card is usually hidden under a flap which is just under the screen. You should never have a need to remove it.

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
Hi & Welcome.
Above posts covers things nicely.

I just ask at service time for any updates to system or maps. It is the easiest way, as they have your car anyway. Just remember to mention it when booking & not when you drop the car off, as it does take a while to do & if they are not aware/busy they may say you will have to come back again for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You do not have to have the media system/sat nav updated, many choose to ignore it and use Android Auto/Apple Carplay for maps and entertainment, using their mobile phone connected via a USB data cable. However if like me, you are happy to use the fitted system you can get it updated by a Kia dealership, it should cost £40 and has to be requested.
Updates are released yearly, usually between April and June, however last years pandemic delayed the release until September. As a consequence there is a good chance your car still has the 2019 maps, the dealer does not have to update media system before selling the car.
Personally I would wait until the next update is released. If you look in the Kia Customer Services section you will see when they announce updates. Last years announcement is here.
Why they have given you a data card case I have no idea. I don't know the layout on the Stonic, but the SD Card is usually hidden under a flap which is just under the screen. You should never have a need to remove it.
Thank you for a quick and very comprehensive response. I believe the card is where you suggest it is. In the past I’ve just used Google maps on my phone as a satnav which worked fine. I decided to buy the Stonic which suits our needs completely, but was disappointed to discover the satnav was not a live system. Ok I can get live data on it by setting my phone to mobile hotspots, which does give live info on the satnav.
As I said the salesman I dealt with was rubbish and told me very little, let me drive away with the protective covering on the reversing camera, and didn’t bother to tell me that the lane departure system activated a steering adjustment as well as a warning. I nearly drove into the side of a bus 100 yards from the dealership. But I’m happy with the car, had a Rio before and the Stonic is about 100mm higher which helps our elderly frames in and out of the car. It’s packed with useful bells and whistles. I was a bit concerned to buy a 1litre 3 cylinder, but the turbo packs enough punch to get out of any situation.
Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
Thank you for a quick and very comprehensive response. I believe the card is where you suggest it is. In the past I’ve just used Google maps on my phone as a satnav which worked fine. I decided to buy the Stonic which suits our needs completely, but was disappointed to discover the satnav was not a live system. Ok I can get live data on it by setting my phone to mobile hotspots, which does give live info on the satnav.
As I said the salesman I dealt with was rubbish and told me very little, let me drive away with the protective covering on the reversing camera, and didn’t bother to tell me that the lane departure system activated a steering adjustment as well as a warning. I nearly drove into the side of a bus 100 yards from the dealership. But I’m happy with the car, had a Rio before and the Stonic is about 100mm higher which helps our elderly frames in and out of the car. It’s packed with useful bells and whistles. I was a bit concerned to buy a 1litre 3 cylinder, but the turbo packs enough punch to get out of any situation.
Thanks again.
If you have a smart phone. Look at Android auto or Apple car play. Both do require phone to be connected via usb cable, but are much more up to date mapping. Even if you have only just had the latest update installed by dealer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts