Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks.
I bought my Niro 3 Hybrid in August 2020. All good but my satnav has let me down several times (normally at the most inconvenient time!!). Without warning, the location shifts so I appear to be on a different road or even off road. All the directions are messed up and the speed limit indicator goes blank, or displays the wrong value. I have reset everything as far as I know but the problem recurs intermittently. Anyone else having the same issues or know the cure??? Thanks JJ

·
Registered
251 Posts
Is this happening when you are travelling on a length of road built/rebuilt/realigned in the past year or two? If so it is due to the satnav mapping being out of date - even the latest maps are likely to miss out on some new roads etc., that are less than about 18 months old due to the time it takes to produce the map updates and validate them for the various versions of heads in cars. I have had this on upgraded parts of A1 / A1(M) and on other roads when the satnav thinks you are in an adjacent field as the road has been realigned by a few metres from the route that the map includes. At one point a few years ago the satnav even tried to tell me that the new Forth Road Bridge did not exist when I was driving over it and it had been open about 12 months before the map edition was published!

·
Super Moderator
5,975 Posts
If you check your settings. For the map version.
Eur.13 is this years (only came out in April)
Eur.12 = 2020
EUR.11 = 2019

TBH. I would not be surprised if you are running EUR.11 as last years was a lot later than normal due to Covid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. I have come across the ‘off road’ glitch when a new road layout is constructed, but this is different. The car is actually following a map displaced by a fairly short distance (no more than a couple of miles) and doesn’t seem to want to ‘update’ that position, even when I stop the car, take out the ignition key abs restart.
The map version is a possible culprit, but I doubt it because most of the time, it has up-to-date temporary speed limits.
I’ve tried looking at the satellite status too and it seems that when the errors occur, there are still plenty of signals to lock in.
I’m genuinely stumped. Yesterday it happened on two occasions: Once when I was nearing my destination near Wembley on well established roads and again after I drove through the Brynglas Tunnel in Newport (Wales). The tunnel one I can understand because it completely loses al satellite signals for a short time but Wembley???

·
Registered
629 Posts
Was it new when you brought it?. If it was you don't want to hang about the warranty for the radio is only 3 years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts