Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your experience with the built-in sat-nav?
Does it use TomTom's traffic data in the UK - is traffic data usually reliable?
What's your experience vs Waze?
Does it get map updates at the same time TomTom devices do?

I don't have a Kia (yet), but my experience over the years has been that:
  • Garmin's traffic data is useless
  • TomTom's traffic data is good but not the best
  • Waze tends to have the best traffic data and the most up-to-date information on road closured, road layout changes, etc, however it also has a tendency to send you down tiny lanes, where sometimes you get stuck (with cars coming the other way) even if you're on a motorcycle, let alone a car!

Super Moderator
Built in Sat Nav gets you from A2B, although sometimes with interesting routes. As per your Waze comment. But I only tend to use navigation once or twice a year.
Yes it uses Tom Tom live traffic.
I have used Waze for long time, but at present using Kia built in at the moment to keep check on updates & how it's working. Personally do prefer Waze.
Map updates have historically been once a year. But 2021 saw at least 2 updates rolled out. Mapping is provided by "Here"
This maybe more often now that we have self update option, rather than having to visit dealer to have updates installed.

Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
IMHO the Kia Nav is as good as most other fixed, in car, Nav systems I have seem in friends cars. It generally finds a decent route (with a few odd exceptions - as they all have) but if compared to Waze/Google maps does not have all the auxiliary information nor the live 'updates' from other motorists.

The TomTom congestion data seems up to date for the area around me and I often see known blackspots developing as I approach areas. To get the congestion updates you need a Internet connection, either provided by the car system (recent units) or via a HotSpot on your phone. Originally the unit also took TomTom data from the RDS/TPEG data of Classic FM so you received congestion data whether you had Internet connection or not. That function seems to have been dropped a couple of SW releases ago. You also need the HotSpot to get Speed Camera information which also comes from TomTom.

Personally I'm happy with the display but other prefer Google Maps or Waze - I find Waze display cluttered but admit I have not tried to customise it to my liking.

Mapping currency is an issue as updates are only released once a year and the mapping source (Here Maps) does not capture all changes that quickly - if at all!! In that respect Waze & Google maps will be more current. Only a few Kias have wireless connection for Android Auto and Apple CarPlay - so you need to use a USB for those that don't.

Summing up - it's a reasonable system with reasonably clear display and good user interface (despite what you will read in other threads) when compared to similar systems. The recent self update capability is very welcome to help users keep the unit up to date.

Registered
I prefer the GUI of the inbuilt system over Waze and 99% of time dont have an issue with missing roads on the inbuilt one, plus as said waze sometimes picks routes that send you down roads you wouldn't won't to drive a 拢40k car

Super Moderator
One thing I would say about Waze. When I used to commute across Leeds at peak time. It was great at taking me down back streets to avoid congestion. Which did cut the trip time down. had it not of been running, I would have just sat in the traffic.

But as @Radiorail it is very much a personal choice as to which you prefer using.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only reason I am even considering the inbuilt satnav is that it used the HUD - I tried it in my test drive and really liked it.

Can you people confirm that Waze, Google Maps or other Android auto navigation apps do not use the HUD?

I suppose I could always start with the inbuilt satnav and switch to Waze if needed. I remember ending up stuck in a couple of London low-traffic neighbourhoods about a year and a half ago (road closures, supposedly to deter rat running, but it's a hugely divisive issue) and after 5 or 6 wrong turns using TomTom I had to launch Waze to get the hell out of that maze, because every road I was trying had been converted into a dead end!

Registered
My preference is for the inbuilt Nav programme as it has the best visual imagery and highlights multi-lane junctions nicely as they are approached. It also permits the upcoming instruction to be displayed in the instrument binnacle - not possible with other Nav provision.

The live data, courtesy of the hook-up with 'Tom Tom' is excellent but I use Apple Maps or Waze from time to time just to see how they perform and if there are any changes. Both of those provide for destination input via voice command whereas on my head unit, there is no Mic present and I need to manually input a new destination.

The only fault that I have noticed since the November update is the annoyance of the speed limit symbol's failure to acknowledge the end of speed restriction roadsigns with the appropriate, 60 or 70 mph, speed limit. Otherwise, fuel stations with prices, car parks, weather and various, selected POIs seem to be ok.

Reactions: mr.macspot
1 - 10 of 10 Posts