Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
I find mine perfectly fine.

I have a new tomtom live which yes ok is better, but i intend to sell that now.
The Sat Nav is perfectly usable fella, no real issues with it what so ever. You can put it into a 3d mode which is alot like the standard tomtom view and the fact its intergrated into the dash is alot better in my eyes.

I love the reverse cam, i love the touch screen and connectiivity with my iphone and bb bold 9780.Its easy to use and does the job.

Ok it could look quite a bit better, but i have so far had no issues with it at all.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers, i do like the whole package with the camera etc, I assume that over time that KIA will be able to iron out the main issues with software updates

·
Registered
260 Posts
IMO its complete bollocks. Somebody on here said that people were aware of this before they bought but thats an impossible arguement on a brand new car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The discussion around whether the device is good or not, is dependent on the features you want from Sat-Nav.
If all you want it to do is tell you how to get from A to B, then it is perfectly adequate. OK, so it doesnt allow for full post code entry, but the full address works.
It is when people want POI or TMC that this device then starts to let itself down drastically. TMC does not work, and so far cannot be made to work, people have tried. Kia refused to pay the licence for the service and did not include an option for individuals to subscribe to it themselves.
POI is a joke and in reality not much better than not having it at all. From what Kia have told me, it is a subscription based service on the part of the POI's themselves. So if a shop/restaurant/pub etc subscribes to the service they are in the database.
Personally I had only ever used devices with a very detailed POI, so was shocked to find that this device was so lacking in content. In truth, it is now getting to the point where I will seriously have to consider a separate Sat-Nav just to provide this service. Ludicrous really, but hell if Kia wont do it.............

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think it's great!

I don't even know what the TMC or whatever it's called is...and I don't really care! It gets you from A to B. The iPod/phone connectivity is great, it connects fine with blackberrys and the Bluetooth is good.

Paul

·
Registered
26 Posts
Arctic Paul said:
I think it's great!

I don't even know what the TMC or whatever it's called is...and I don't really care! It gets you from A to B. The iPod/phone connectivity is great, it connects fine with blackberrys and the Bluetooth is good.

Paul
Concerning your BB connectivity. Do you not have any issues with it ? Whenever mine connects, it seems to crash the Sat-Nav, randomly. Error msg is something along the lines of "Not enough Memory"
I have stupidly large address, which I guess could be the cause, but that is a guess

·
Registered
23 Posts
I also think its good for A to B navigation ifyou don't need TMC [which I don't] - addingto that the ipod, bluetooth connectivity, rear view cameraand a 'tumpin stereo [theexternal amp & sub woofer upgrade makes a real difference]and for me itsworth the money!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Beachbum said:
Arctic Paul said:
I think it's great!

Paul
Concerning your BB connectivity. Do you not have any issues with it ? Whenever mine connects, it seems to crash the Sat-Nav, randomly. Error msg is something along the lines of "Not enough Memory"
I have stupidly large address, which I guess could be the cause, but that is a guess
Im using a bold 9780 along with my iphone and havent had any issues so far.

·
Registered
140 Posts
"IMO its complete bollocks. Somebody on here said that people were aware of this before they bought but thats an impossible arguement on a brand new car."

That was me. I asked the dealer a few leading questions andhe came back withlame answers and was embarassed. He eventually admitted that having spoken toother dealersthey were all of the opinion that the sat nav and it's options were way below expectations. I went for the FE with a stand alone Garmin sat nav.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Beachbum - i've had no issues with the iPhone 4, BB Curve and bold. The dealers could not get the BB's to connect properly; a friend of mine deactivated some security settings on the BB's and there's been no issues since...i've no idea what he did though!!
Paul

·
Registered
2 Posts
Beachbum - I've had the same problems connecting to the satnav with another phone. I took a photo of the screen and went back to the dealer. Apparently it's a hardware issue and they replaced mine without any fuss. When the new SatNav was fitted the phone connected with no problems and the whole interface was far more responsive!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Binks said:
Beachbum - I've had the same problems connecting to the satnav with another phone. I took a photo of the screen and went back to the dealer. Apparently it's a hardware issue and they replaced mine without any fuss. When the new SatNav was fitted the phone connected with no problems and the whole interface was far more responsive!
Did they actually replace the unit or just update the firmware? The newer firmware is supposed to aleviate these Bluetooth issues.

Im on 5.13 i believe or something like that and stream music from my iPhone without any issues via bluetooth also not had any issues connecting my work Bold 9780 or my wifes BB Curve.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have said before that the Sat Nav is garbage and maintain that, Kia are being next to useless.

If i pair my phone with it (HTC Desire HD) it locks the Sat Nav unit up requiring a fuse pull to reboot it, good old Windoze CE.

The audio interface for USB, CD and Radio is excellent and happy with that bit but the navigation leaves a LOT to be desired, when I put a friends new address into the KIA it sent me on a route that took 50 minutes every time.. Every time I put in Slough to Dartford it would try and send me on A roads through London which it reckoned would take 50 minutes, in reality more like 2 hours when the M4\M25 is further but takes an hour exactly if no traffic.

I have now bought a Garmin Nuvi 3790T which is excellent, has traffic info (TMC) and the route it came up with to my friends saved me 20 mins every time.

I love the car but the nav is crap, I now have the Garmin so happy to not sit in traffic :)

Jon.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Anyone who thinks a £1000 sat nav which is incapable of all but the basic functions is adequate is clearly deluded. Without doubt the car is very good but the navigation and media system is a step back in time of 5 or more years. It is ridiculous that such a system is incapable of postode input, even a £60 garmin has such capability. The phone compatibility issues are a nonsense. I had a mondeo ST with voice command bluetooth 5 years ago which was more user friendly. The TMC facility is almost a deception, again, whether you use it or not is your choice but it would be nice to have the option.

·
Registered
35 Posts
<div style="line-height: 1.4; margin-top: 2px; margin-right: 2px; margin-bottom: 2px; margin-left: 2px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-size: 12px; font-weight: normal; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; : rgb255, 255, 255; ">When I ordered my Sportage back in June/July of 2010, you can appreciate that there was no opinions on the Sat Nav system as no one had seen one, let alone fully tested it. It was exactly the same when I finally picked up the car in December of the same year. I spent the extra £1,000 because the Sat Nav system appeared and was advertised as a neat bit of kit that would support everything from my iPhone, to TMC on the Sat Nav itself.

Almost a year down the line and this system has caused me nothing but hassle. From the buggy and almost ancient GUI, to the complete lack of support, I completely regret spending the extra money. Not only is it a poor system system, it's also a dangerous one; I can't tell you the number of times I have been in an important hands-free phone call, relying on this well overpriced system, when it would randomly send the call back to the phone, randomly turn the caller into an incomprehensible robot, causing me to frantically fumble around trying to sort it out, while doing 70 down the motorway. Of course I would be more than happy to do the safe option and just end the call and leave it till I can call, but the system won't let me do that.

I have now taken my complaints up a notch and have approached the managing director of Masters Group, the group that owns my KIA dealership. So here's hoping something can be done about this.

I'm just hoping KIA will accept responsibility and in the very least fit a different system in the car. I'm eyeing up the Kenwood system that KIA now offer as an accessory for any KIA vehicle with a bog standard audio system. I'm also hoping for my £1,000 back as the system was completely misrepresented and therefore I was misled, and has caused me nothing but hassle and stress for 9 months.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
When I had my Titan, I had a Pioneer AVIC F900BT which was about £800 at the time.
This unit was the dogs doodas and did everything I needed including TMC in the UK.
I could select speed display in either MPH or KPH. Play videos, ect, ect.
Map updates were yearly (Telemaps) POI's and traffic cams..... I never had any issues with it.
<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Now, I don't have any issues with the 2010 Sportage itself, as it is a vast improvement on it's predecessor however the SAT NAV is woefully substandard!
The maps are out of date. When selecting the fastest route it takes you the slowest.
TMC only works in Europe.... OK, but if you are approaching an area with heavy traffic i.e. Paris ring road, it cannot resolve a new routing! It will try and re-route you every 5 seconds and you end up just having to switch off the TMC.
Couple of weeks ago routing north on the M11, M25 and then M1, when I got to the junction of the M11 M25 it instructed ""Turn Left onto the M20""�???
3 Letter post codes is a pain but not really an issue for me as I tend to use Lats & Longs mainly for my obscure destinations and it works perfect.

With regards to Bluetooth
Had a problem initially connecting my BB9800, but I think it may have been finger trouble.
However if you take a call on the move, the Sat Nav screen stays on the phone screen and Sat Nav goes silent... twice I have sailed past my next turning point. You have to manually put it on the Nav screen.
The other thing I have found is, if you get out of the car and don't lock it the Bluetooth remains active... inside the house I could hear the car ringing on the drive.

Voice command... basic stuff ""Radio""� ""Map""� etc it understands but try selecting a frequency by voice command... forget it. One day it answered back in Spanish?? So now I use it as a source of amusement on long journeys when I'm bored and just shout abuse at it.

The reverse camera is very good and so is the audio sound quality.

But this is what really winds me up... lockups!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Datamonkey said:
Binks said:
Did they actually replace the unit or just update the firmware? The newer firmware is supposed to aleviate these Bluetooth issues.

Im on 5.13 i believe or something like that and stream music from my iPhone without any issues via bluetooth also not had any issues connecting my work Bold 9780 or my wifes BB Curve.

They took the whole system out and replaced it with a new one. Since then I've had no problems. Like I said, the new unit is far more responsive so I'm certain it was an actual hardware fault not just poor software. I think it helped that the unit froze on the way to the dealers and when I arrived it was locked out. The only way to rest it was to switch off the ignition and wait for 15 minutes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts