Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a Sportage Crdi 2 on Friday and noticed the sat nav doesn't seem to alert you to speed cameras or tell you your speed is that correct? and if so are you better using Google maps through Apple/android play?

Super Moderator
Just got a Sportage Crdi 2 on Friday and noticed the sat nav doesn't seem to alert you to speed cameras or tell you your speed is that correct? and if so are you better using Google maps through Apple/android play?
Might just need enabling in the setting on the infotainment unit. Which year have you got?

Registered
the sat nav doesn't seem to alert you to speed cameras or tell you your speed is that correct?
Welcome to the forum, 'ShrimpyPhil'.

Most probably, your 2017 model requires a software and map update. Dealers should charge no more than 拢40.00 inc VAT to perform an update but if very recently purchased from a KIA dealer, they should do it for free.

Silly though it may be, my understanding is that a system update should be free whereas the map update is chargeable. In my experience, each new map requires a modified element of software in order to function correctly.

In answer to your post elsewhere, your diesel should run happily on any forecourt diesel in the UK so I should try that and see how you get on with it. I'm a great believer in using a tank of the 'single malt' variety occasionally for the much improved detergent package it contains. Ignore the common 'snake oil' accusations you may hear about additives as they are not primarily designed to knock a couple of seconds off the 0-100kph time; they are more to do with reducing the tendency for the injection system and emissions equipment to gum up.

If an engine can burn fuel cleanly, there is less chance of carbon/soot build-up and the DPF can deal easily with manageable amounts of those by-products.

I do recommend that you try fuelling with any convenient brand until you become acclimatised to the way that the engine performs. If the car runs fine, leave well alone.

Registered
My 2018 Sportage will advise re speed cameras but only if using Kia connected services (provided by TomTom) by being connected through my phone as a wifi hotspot. It does not advise car speed although it does display the speed limits (but those can be out of date if changed since the map update dition was complied). I do not know if the 2017 models support this.

Here is a link to Kia's video re connecting to Connected Services:

Registered
Yes yoy need your phone connected by cable into the usb socket and hotspot turned on on your phone for the speed camera alerts to work.

Registered
On my 2018 Sportage I don't connect via USB but by using my phone as a mobile hotspot as explained in the video I referenced above.

Super Moderator
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
On my 2018 Sportage I don't connect via USB but by using my phone as a mobile hotspot as explained in the video I referenced above.
It was the same on my 2017 Sportage and my current 2020 Sportage, just need to tether the car to my phone mobile hot spot. I get camera alerts, live traffic reports, fuel prices etc., from TomTom Live Services.

Registered
Very interesting video,just wondering if you tether via the phone Wi-fi hot spot instead of USB do you get the full album display or like the blue tooth plain display And is there an app for IOS as the video only mentions android鈥.thanks

Super Moderator
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
Very interesting video,just wondering if you tether via the phone Wi-fi hot spot instead of USB do you get the full album display or like the blue tooth plain display And is there an app for IOS as the video only mentions android鈥.thanks
No, it still plays music via Bluetooth. I haven't watched the video (poor reception area), but if it is referring to a 'hotspot starter' then no there isn't. I believe Apple's software/protection rules do not allow an app to function in that manner.

Registered
Yes yoy need your phone connected by cable into the usb socket and hotspot turned on on your phone for the speed camera alerts to work.
Will not need USB for Speed Camera display just a WiFI hotspot connection to the Internet too connect to Kia/TomTom services.

I have an automation APP on my phone that sets up the HotSpot and connects the car when my phone sees the cars BT signal. Phone never leaves my pocket. USB cable is required for AA/iPhone mapping APPs should you want to use them.

On old software there was no on screen display of vehicle speed but that was included in last years software update where the vehicle speed is now displayed in upper left above the repositioned Road Speed limit. Average speed camera sections are now indicated as well as 'Pings' for exceeding the speed in those sections.

Registered
Sorry about that just noticed I had mentioned using a usb cable. No need as you can connect wirelessly using hotspot connection on your iphone or android phone to get speed camera alert. USB cable only needed if you need to connect to Apple Car play or Androiod Auto though some of the new head units coming to new cars will now be equipped to connect wirelessly

Registered
Will not need USB for Speed Camera display just a WiFI hotspot connection to the Internet too connect to Kia/TomTom services.

I have an automation APP on my phone that sets up the HotSpot and connects the car when my phone sees the cars BT signal. Phone never leaves my pocket. USB cable is required for AA/iPhone mapping APPs should you want to use them.

On old software there was no on screen display of vehicle speed but that was included in last years software update where the vehicle speed is now displayed in upper left above the repositioned Road Speed limit. Average speed camera sections are now indicated as well as 'Pings' for exceeding the speed in those sections.
Is that app for iPhone or just Android?

Registered
Is that app for iPhone or just Android?
Only Android, MacroDroid. I think the Apple gardening controls prohibiting APPs controlling the WiFi/HotSpot settings in iOS. There was once a Kia APP that also did Auto connection but again I don't know if it's available in Apple flavour

Registered
Workflow: App Reviews, Features, Pricing & Download | AlternativeTo
Is a possible Apple iOS alternative to Android's MacroDroid.

This is how I have configured MacroDroid;

Macro 1 - Tether On
  1. Device Connects (Kia BT)
  2. Launch Home Screen
  3. Wait 1 Second
  4. Toggle HotSpot ON
  5. Play BLEEP (this is an audible confirmation that the HotSpot is ON - not strictly necessary)
Macro 2 - Tether Off
  1. KIA BT disconnects
  2. Disable HotSpot
  3. Wait 1 second
  4. Play BLEEP (not essential just confirmation for me)
  5. IF [ WiFi OFF- enable WiFi ] This is to make sure that WiFi remains on after the HotSpot use
  6. ELSE - do nothing
  7. Wait 1 second
  8. Play BLEEP BLEEP (just confirmation for me - not necessary)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts