Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping you may be able to help me. I have always used TomTom sat navs and currently have a GO 600 which I can pair with my iPhone 11S (running the latest software iOS 13.5.1).
I have also just taken delivery of a Kia Sportage which has a built in TomTom sat nav and has Connected Services which would allow the driver to have real time traffic information and Speed Camera alerts, providing you have activated Wi-Fi hotspots on your phone and have initially connected to a Wi-Fi network. My phone is paired with the car system – so far, so good.
So, I have done all that and when I am on the drive of my home and connected to my own network, I have the connected services. I can see the Speed Camera icon on the screen and enter a route. Then after a while I get a message to say, “No traffic info available” and the Speed Camera icon fades away, presumably because I am not near a Wi-Fi hotspot and have lost connection to the TomTom server. On the return journey back home, I cannot get any Connected Services at all.
Am I doing something wrong? I have followed the instructions in the Kia Car Nav booklet. Should I be using a USB cable to connect my phone to the car system and not Bluetooth? I had the same problem in my previous car (Kia Optima) and resorted to using my GO 600 on long journeys, especially abroad. Surely the real usefulness of a sat nav is to have traffic info to enable you to get an alternative route so that you can skirt round a problem.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Possibly a silly question, but have you checked that the car is actually selecting the phone hotspot for its wifi connection and not selecting your home network when on the driveway and keeping to that. If the home network is selected it will not change automatically once that is out of range. It may be selecting the home network by default on the driveway if that is an option rather than your phone.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,442 Posts
JB18 is right. I made the same mistake on my first Sportage, I connected the car to my home wi-fi, it is not the way to go. Delete your home wi-fi from the cars wi-fi list, then make sure you have tethered the car to your phone and then try it out on a route. One thing I am a bit iffy about is your iPhone. On my Samsung I have a hotspot starter that detects when I'm in the car and automatically starts the car to phone wi-fi, however I don't think you can do that on an iPhone. I believe you have to manually switch on the tethering on the phone every time you start the car. I am sure somebody with more experience will correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Am I doing something wrong?
Hi ‘Col47’ and as both ‘JB18’ and ‘mr.macspot’ have pointed out, yes, you have made a mistake. As advised, you need to delete your home wi-fi and any other network connection on the car’s network settings……previous owner(s) perhaps?

Once that is done, you can connect your phone to the USB socket and follow the instructions on connecting the car’s infotainment unit to the phone, acting as a hotspot. Depending on your phone contract, you may need to notify them that you wish to use the phone for tethering although ‘3’, my provider, are ok with that and I have 8 Gb data allowance of which I have never exceeded 1Gb since I purchased the car!

On the matter of the car’s integral satnav, I may be behind the times here and I stand to be corrected, but as far as I’m aware, the inbuilt nav system is still a ‘HERE’ offering, augmented by Tom Tom connected services. That aside, as ‘mr.macspot’ has indicated, you may find that you have to re-connect the phone’s hotspot each time you re-enter the car after leaving it for more than a few minutes. It’s no hardship and only takes a moment so it comes as second nature to me just like fastening my seatbelt.

I checked out a Korean video of the forthcoming new 2021 Optima (not UK though!) and noted that wi-fi will be wireless so that is progress, I suppose, and I’m sure it will find its way into most other models if not them all.

I hope you get it sorted and can enjoy the full facilities of the satnav and the rest of the infotainment provided. If the SW & FW + mapping is up-to-date, you’ll enjoy the system - if it’s out of date, a KIA dealer will update the system for a very reasonable £25.00 inc VAT. Do check though, as I have read that some dealers charge more although that is the price recommended for their time by KIA UK.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have an iPhone and it connects fine to the unit. No need to plug into usb first. As others have said, firstly you need to remove any WiFi saved settings. Then in iPhone settings, turn on personal hotspot. You will then see a password on the iPhone screen. Now go to WiFi settings in the car infotainment and your phone should appear, click on it and connect, it will then ask for the password. Use the password that is set up on your phone. I believe you can change the phone password if you wish to do so but just make sure the password entered into car system mirrors password under hotspot settings. You should be good to go.

I haven’t used app I just turn this setting on again when I get into car and car picks it up straight away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have an iPhone and it connects fine to the unit. No need to plug into usb first. As others have said, firstly you need to remove any WiFi saved settings. Then in iPhone settings, turn on personal hotspot. You will then see a password on the iPhone screen. Now go to WiFi settings in the car infotainment and your phone should appear, click on it and connect, it will then ask for the password. Use the password that is set up on your phone. I believe you can change the phone password if you wish to do so but just make sure the password entered into car system mirrors password under hotspot settings. You should be good to go.

I haven’t used app I just turn this setting on again when I get into car and car picks it up straight away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many, many thanks to everyone who has replied. This has solved a problem that has been bugging me for three years and now resolved in three hours! Indalo you are right the next generation of Kia motors will have a sim card in them and will automatically link to TomTom servers.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I’m not aware that there is an app for the iPhone which permits the continuous connection between car and phone. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
560 Posts
No, I don’t think there is one. I had one with android but I never really used it, just found it easier to turn on setting when I got in car manually and that’s all I do now with the iPhone. Usually wait until system is on and then turn hotspot on phone and all good.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Andriod users have Kia Hotspot app which connects and disconnects the phone automatically every time you get in and out your car. Some people have expressed frustration with this app as it can be flaky depending on your make of phone. Works perfectly with my Samsung phone and my Sportage, however I'm not sure if this app is available on Apple IOS.

·
Registered
560 Posts
There really is no need for an app as not difficult to turn on the personal hotspot on phone should you wish to use it when you are in car and turn off once finished

·
Registered
162 Posts
Does IFTT work with iphone? if so, can you set it so that when it connects to bluetooth it auto turns on hotspot?

·
Super Moderator
4,337 Posts
Does the Op have a head unit that has Apple Car Play?
If so that may be a better option than messing around with WiFi connections. Added bonus mapping will be far more up to date.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Even if it does have Apple car play it is sometimes more convenient just to turn on the hotspot. I tend to use the hotspot and built in satnav around my home town as that’s fairly accurate. However, if on a longer journey, I will then plug in phone to usb but end of day each to there own, no right or wrong way. If the Apple car play was wireless then I would use that all the time. It’s only because of the wires being connected and trying to find a place to put phone etc when it’s all connected that I find it easier just to use the wireless hotspot option.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Is this thread really necessary? It has all been covered before and the fact is in 2020/21, new models will be available with wireless APC and AA.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts