Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I recently bought a Venga and I am loving it.
My sat nav hasn’t been updated since new (2016). Is it only Kia dealers that can update it or can I do it myself online maybe?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
My sat nav hasn’t been updated since new (2016). Is it only Kia dealers that can update it or can I do it myself online maybe?
Welcome to the forum, 'Sue 2020'.

While it is possible to DIY an update to the satnav system on your car, it is not entirely without risk. The route to achieving that end involves downloading files from a 'Torrent' site and there is a known higher chance of your computer becoming infected with malware, or any of an assortment of viruses, than while using pukka, properly-regulated websites.

For the sake of £25.00 inc VAT, I recommend having your system updated at an approved KIA dealership. Check the price with the company first though as some have been known to charge much higher prices. Should you encounter one of those, shop around other KIA franchises within easy travelling distance and you will find one who does the job for the price that KIA recommends should be levied for their time.

Having said all that, if you are a dedicated computer geek, then crack on with it!

·
Registered
683 Posts
I have found that the maps are very much out of date having had mine updated a year ago. I found that the many changed (lowered) speed limits and the missing toll bridge were still the same on the updated map. When I complained, the answer I got was that map changes take at least three years!! So now forget looking at the screen to check the speed limit if you did not see a sign.
So this year I did not bother. Though there are several new roads to contend with. If I used the car more maybe I would get it updated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

While it is possible to DIY an update to the satnav system on your car, it is not entirely without risk. The route to achieving that end involves downloading files from a 'Torrent' site and there is a known higher chance of your computer becoming infected with malware, or any of an assortment of viruses, than while using pukka, properly-regulated websites.

For the sake of £25.00 inc VAT, I recommend having your system updated at an approved KIA dealership. Check the price with the company first though as some have been known to charge much higher prices. Should you encounter one of those, shop around other KIA franchises within easy travelling distance and you will find one who does the job for the price that KIA recommends should be levied for their time.

Having said all that, if you are a dedicated computer geek, then crack on with it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Indalo
Thanks for the info. Didn’t know it was out of date until we went on a road that is about four years old and it wasn’t there on the satnav. ?
Definitely not a job for me!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have found that the maps are very much out of date having had mine updated a year ago. I found that the many changed (lowered) speed limits and the missing toll bridge were still the same on the updated map. When I complained, the answer I got was that map changes take at least three years!! So now forget looking at the screen to check the speed limit if you did not see a sign.
So this year I did not bother. Though there are several new roads to contend with. If I used the car more maybe I would get it updated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts