Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,I have a Match 2017 Venga3 with Sat nav. When do the maps need updating and how are they updated? Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've just bought a 2016 Venga and the dealer said an update normally costs £25 but as mine was a ""Kia Approved""� car it was done before handover.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is there any way of knowing when an updated map is available?
We got our new Venga in July, but we've found quite a few new roads/changes made well before then aren't included, so I'd quite like an updated map rather than double checking on Waze etc :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't know the answer, but I'm guessing whoever owns the mapping software probably doesn't do it annually. Your dealer can tell you if the SD card in yours is the latest.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Hold your finger on the settings button for ten seconds. The screen will change and show the current software firmware and map versions.

The latest Venga versions are:

Firmware ver: YN.EU.SOP.10.109

Navi app ver: YN.EU.SOP.09.49.47

Map ver: EUR.09.44.65.001.001(D.C2)

I and others have been charged £20 which is a huge improvement over the old system.

However I have been disappointed to find that many of the local speed limit changes have not been included in the map update.

Dealers in general, or maybe its just mine, have no clue about updates, they told me there was not one for my car until I sent them the details as above. Best to check the forum every so often.

·
Registered
107 Posts
My previous car used Tomtom and could also be self updated. I collect my Kia in March, I will have a look when I get it. Edited by: Johns stung

·
Registered
683 Posts
Unfortunately not no.
Thought the previous model radio/satnav which did NOT have the SD card could have the firmware updated via USB but not the map. The map update was over a hundred quid if I remember correctly and only available from Kia UK dealers. (While at the same time european maiinland based cars could get free update by download this did not work for the UK models as the satnav ID and serial number had to be input for activation. Even so the UK firmware update took about 40 minutes which had to be conducted from your downloaded USB stick with engine running. (As you know Kia are paranoid about the battery dropping a couple of volts withut the engine running) I did two firmware updates on my previous Venga.

I have contacted "HERE" via the navigation.com website "Contact us" link and have had acknowledgement of my query which is being sent "For further handling and analysis"

I am particularly miffed that they did not even include the things I sent on the mapmaker facility on the website. (a changed speed limit and a missing toll bridge)
This is even more galling because the new system lets you add speed cameras (if you have a wifi link. I use a Huawei GSM G3 mobile WiFi dongle with a giffgaff sim, though in fact my 1p mobile sim would be much cheaper).
Once fired up and the car connected, this the gives the speed cameras and the trafic density on the map. You can add new speed cameras or delete ones no longer there, by tepping the camera icon on the screen. (which only appears when wifi is connected)

·
Registered
683 Posts
When I was on the road (Not in the Jack Kerouac sense unfortunately) I used to have the map book or the A to Z on the seat or the steering wheel all the time. But the satnav is ok. True I am a bit James May about reading the instructions first but then my poor memory throws in some latitude for the unexpected.

I have today noted that the latest firmware update has not only now upgraded the radio to show what is on but also the artist and track. This was expected from other comments on a previous thread, but I now find that it has pulled in track and album information on my music, which is varied to say the least, on my usb flash drive. (Obviously whid wifi connected)

·
Registered
683 Posts
Further to the above, having complained to "Here" I got no sensible answer from them, but eventually they admitted that map updates and map data updates like speed limit changes (of which there are a lot in Lincolnshire) take 6 to 12 months to be included in an update. They claimed that the toll bridge I reported as missing from the map at Dunham on Trent has been in their database for years, but as I pointed out it is still not shown on the latest map.

Also since the update my phone bluetooth connection gets disconnected about every 5 minutes and I have to keep reconnecting it.

Edited by: rpaco

·
Registered
683 Posts
xhead said:
Go to the sporty 2016 forum tells you how to update to the latest updates if you have the avn2 system. Works brilliant.
K
Sorry the what forum, where?

·
Registered
683 Posts
xhead said:
This site, read the 2016 sportage pages, broaden your horizons. Lol
Ah yes I see, well if it still works after April the 1st let us know.

The link has been removed from that forum since the use of non standard firmware could stuff your warranty and as indicated above there appears to be a Russian April fool built in.

Meanwhile if you have time could you please have a look on the map and see if the toll bridge at Dunham on Trent near Newton on Trent is present. (ie if it is mentioned as a Toll bridge as opposed to a normal one) Many thanks.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts