Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. My first post on this forum. I have a new sportage on order which has the Sat Nav fitted. Can anyone tell me who has had one of these tell me how new the maps are, and if out of date is there any form of new map guarantee. I have previously owned two Sorentos.

Thanks

Andrew

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've had mine a month now, and the sat nav throws up a couple of oddities, it seems up-to date but driving through Manchester over the Mancunian Way it appeared to think I'd fell off the road into a church then desperately tried to send me across the River Irwell. Then for good measure would have had me doing 60 on a section of the East Lancs Road that has never been 60. Since then it seems to have behaved itself. If it has the Alderly Edge bypass on it then it will be up-to date. No idea about getting it updated though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an old mondeo(with navteq satnav)and looking to order the kia pretty soon. My biggest concern or dilema is the sat nav, it looks pretty. But is it worth it with all the problems.

Connectivity, updates, crashing?

I want it for convenience... not for more hassles.

The navteq in my mondeo was put in a 2k option on my car then, in 2002, and the only update since is 2003, they have a limited shelf life. Updates will last as long as kia want them too... there is a cost, but Navteq will not help, they will direct you to the manufacturer. Annoyingly...

So my warranty onthe kia will last 7 years, the warranty onthe sat nav will be 3 years (audio) i assume?... what good is the rest of the car without a functional nav/stereo in the car? etc...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Marky B... the sat nav is basic if comparing to other units.. but it does what it says on the tin, can do partial post code input only which isn't that great and its not 3d but it gets you to where you wanna go, the actual hi fi I reckon is really good in terms of sound... especially if you go '3' trim and get extra sub woofer etc as standard... bluetooth works great as long as you have compat phone and streams music off an ipod like anything else out there and sounds great.

You'll read a lot of neg stuff on here about sat nav and each to their own, it's not a top notch unit by any stretch but will get you from A to B and looks cool fitted... added plus also fact you get rear view camera display in the unit as well.. otherwise its just the bleep system...

Depends what you call value for money... if you have a reasonablyhigh expectation on what it will give you and rely on sat nav constantly then prob gonna be disappointed, if you want a unit that will provide pretty basic sat nav guidance+ decent sound for ipod music streaming or general CD or radio + bluetooth connectivity with average voice control + rear view camera option then worth the outlay.

If you get it you may think 'was it worth it'... if you don't you may think 'I wish I had'... it's a personal thing, either way you're screwed! lol

Max

·
Registered
9 Posts
Cheers Maximus.

The one we drive never had the nav fitted.

But on the same level the Qashqai that my gf drive also never had it fitted, and i think the Qashqai is worse still and a lot smaller.

I just dont want to make a mistake... Im getting this car for 4 years. I need to make good decisions.

I like your summary, and your basically saying its not as good as a tom tom, but it will get you to where you want to go to. Im more worried about it crashing and not working right. I assume GPS reception is all good too and it picks you up fast?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi MarkyB...Like you I intend to retain for 3 years at least""¦ what's you mindset gonna be by then? I wanted to avoid the ""˜bugger, I wish I'd""¦' as best as possible""¦ prob why I got the rear seat entertainment fitted, complete waste of money to many as portable unit fraction of cost but suited my needs and what I wanted in my brand new car.
<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
With sat nav, portable units have been around a while and you can get them now with all the bells and whistles you want on them. Sat Nav on the Sportage in effect is costing you £1k extra""¦ is it worth it? Plenty on here would say ""˜not' but depends on what you want it to do for you""¦ and it also brings other benefits (rear view camera etc)""¦ In-built sat nav units are a relatively new thing (for the mainstream anyway) but I expect 3 years from now it will be the norm and many will fit a basic unit as standard.. portable units must only have a limited shelf life with the speed techno moves these days!

You know the thing that swung it for me? Seeing brand new 11 plate vehicles, some very prestige models at that""¦ with a portable sat nav unit stuck in the front window""¦ how naff is that? You just bought a gorgeous brand new car""¦ and had to stick a sat nav in the window, if the car you are buying has a in built option, you've got the money then it's a no brainer for me""¦ yes you could get a far better portable unit for fraction of cost and if you are venturing across Europe according to this forum you may have a crash problem""¦ but then you could buy a second hand Sportage and save a packet there as well if cost is main consideration.

The Sportage looks great, don't think even anyone on here would argue with that""¦ hopefully in 4 years time it's cutting edge image today will still look relatively great but who knows looking at the latest concept cars!

As with all these things it's a personal choice""¦ but for me the interior and audio system looks better for it, I can get from A to B if I don't know my way already, no ugly suction cup marks on the front window to worry about""¦ and nobody else will have a clue if I'm lost either!

Whatever choice you make""¦enjoy!

Max

·
Registered
153 Posts
I am very pro-gadget, always have been, but I can't see why everyone wants a sat-nav. I would much rather navigate with a map, they are far more reliable and you avoid the situation we've seen where people arrive where they intend to go, but have no idea where they actually are. Other negatives for me include the "40 ton lorry in country lane" or "caravan in farm track" syndrome and the "you have reached your destination" message in the middle of nowhere.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wrote to M Cole the MD of Kia UK to ask if I got a guarantee thatmy car when it arriveswould have the latest maps. Got a reply back from customer services stating that updated maps would be available in May via the to be updated website at a cost!!!

I will stick to my guns that if my car comes after the new maps have been issued then I want the latest map in my car. Do not see why I should spend all this money to have an old map.

·
Registered
141 Posts
ascsbe speak to the sale's man that sold you the car.
and askhim / herwill it have the latest upto date maps on it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts