Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start, I'm a complete novice with any computer system, I've also never owned a sat nav or indeed a car with sat nav.

I have recently bought a 2018 Optima Sportswagon GT-S line 1.6 diesel and I absolutely love it. I have read that you can use the saftey camera alerts on the sat nav, I have all the other options speed signs etc but cannot find the camera alert.
Do I need to update the sat nav if so how in a foolproof way do I do that?

·
Registered
5,212 Posts
The camera alerts work in different ways on various models but in general you will need to connect your phone using the USB port and set the phone up as a wifi hotspot. Then connect the satnav to the phones hotspot. The camera data is obtained from TomTom via your phone and the internet. Your phone contract must allow hotspot services (not all do). There are various apps which can automate this so when the phone detects connection to the car everything happens automatically. Speed signs come from the camera behind teh rear view mirror - it actually reads the speed signs so you even get temporary speed limits.

Many folk prefer to use Google maps or Waze on the phone as these seeem to have more up to date maps and more up to date traffic/congestion data.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Do I need to update the sat nav if so how in a foolproof way do I do that?
With regard to speed camera alerts, post #2 pretty well explains all you need to know.

As for the software/firmware contained in the infotainment unit which supports the mapping that the integrated 'Here' system provides, your KIA dealer can update that if necessary. If the car was a very recent acquisition, you might be able to persuade the KIA dealer to update the system for free as an act of goodwill. Otherwise, there is a cost to be met which I believe is £40.00 inc VAT currently.

Should it be the case that the car is still running the software and maps with which it left the factory, then the latest generation does provide considerable enhancements to the whole system and is worth paying for, in my opinion. 2019 brought about major improvements.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just had my 2017 sat nav updated and I have to say I wish I had saved my £40. The screen colour options are appalling, there are only 3 and they appear to just be slightly different from each other and the night screen is the same for all 3 options and the contrast of the street names is worse than appalling they are in grey and so small they are virtually unreadable.

I will just have to continue to use my Tom Tom on the top of the dash.:(

·
Registered
52 Posts
An update, just used the sat nav on a trip for the first time, I cannot believe it doesn't show an estimated time of arrival.

Plus when driving in town it doesn't show as many street names of side streets off the street you are driving on as my Tom Tom and as per my previous post the contrast of the screen is really poor.

It also doesn't appear to show where mobile cameras are likely to be ( I haven't passed a static camera yet). I did see mention above of having to link to your mobile phone but if it advertises cameras in the set up why the hell should I have to link it to a mobile phone. My Tom Tom isn't linked to anything but has no problem showing both types of cameras as well as traffic light mounted ones as well.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,408 Posts
An update, just used the sat nav on a trip for the first time, I cannot believe it doesn't show an estimated time of arrival.

Plus when driving in town it doesn't show as many street names of side streets off the street you are driving on as my Tom Tom and as per my previous post the contrast of the screen is really poor.

It also doesn't appear to show where mobile cameras are likely to be ( I haven't passed a static camera yet). I did see mention above of having to link to your mobile phone but if it advertises cameras in the set up why the hell should I have to link it to a mobile phone. My Tom Tom isn't linked to anything but has no problem showing both types of cameras as well as traffic light mounted ones as well.
How strange, because one of the mobile camera locations I frequently pass (A19 junction A67) I always get an alert. I also get alerts at a local safety camera. My TomTom doesn't alert on camera's, basically because the subscription lapsed. As to the colours, I really like them, each to his own I guess.:)

·
Super Moderator
4,217 Posts

TOM TOM has the speed camera's location updated when you update the software. Interesting how it shows "Mobile" camera's without a connection though. Unless they just update it will all known possible locations, and not the actual one's in use. Which are often only for a few hours at a time. So a lot of false positives....

Kia (read "Here" mapping) is not connected to anything. So the only way to get "Live" updates is to link to your phone.

If you zoom in it should show street names. Although as you are following a route, then they are not really needed.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Which has reminded me, when you link your the Live Service are supplied by TomTom. Or has that changed?

·
Super Moderator
4,217 Posts
Which has reminded me, when you link your the Live Service are supplied by TomTom. Or has that changed?
Still the same using Tom Tom.

Reactions: mr.macspot

·
Registered
815 Posts
The Nav unit needs the HotSpot (mobile phone) link to get the speed camera locations from TomTom who serve Kia's Live services. I too do not understand why there is not a fixed database stored in the Nav unit but I guess it is something to do with the deal with TomTom and/or the capability of the Nav unit.

As for ETA mine does show Distance to location and ETA at bottom of the display next to the 'finish' line flag; e.g. 7.3 miles 11:42 ETA

·
Registered
52 Posts
How strange, because one of the mobile camera locations I frequently pass (A19 junction A67) I always get an alert. I also get alerts at a local safety camera. My TomTom doesn't alert on camera's, basically because the subscription lapsed. As to the colours, I really like them, each to his own I guess.:)
I haven't updated my Tom Tom since the free one when many stopped working and I have had it for several years now but the static and mobile cameras are still in the database and do show as alerts.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I haven't updated my Tom Tom since the free one when many stopped working and I have had it for several years now but the static and mobile cameras are still in the database and do show as alerts.
Well that is really strange given that the data for the Live Camera's on the Kia sat nav is supplied by TomTom. Weird.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well that is really strange given that the data for the Live Camera's on the Kia sat nav is supplied by TomTom. Weird.

Why is that weird, not sure what you mean, I was referring to my old Tom Tom that I still have on my dash, that has nothing to do with my Kia sat nav :unsure:

·
Registered
52 Posts
The Nav unit needs the HotSpot (mobile phone) link to get the speed camera locations from TomTom who serve Kia's Live services. I too do not understand why there is not a fixed database stored in the Nav unit but I guess it is something to do with the deal with TomTom and/or the capability of the Nav unit.

As for ETA mine does show Distance to location and ETA at bottom of the display next to the 'finish' line flag; e.g. 7.3 miles 11:42 ETA

View attachment 9973
Thanks for that, been through all the set up and couldn't find anything so I then just tapped the screen at that point and up pops the option to change to ETA.(y)

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Thanks for that, been through all the set up and couldn't find anything so I then just tapped the screen at that point and up pops the option to change to ETA.(y)
You said (post #6) that the Kia system wasn't responding to a mobile camera location that your TomTom does - but they should both be the same data as they are from the same provider. That's why I think it's weird.

·
Registered
286 Posts
You said (post #6) that the Kia system wasn't responding to a mobile camera location that your TomTom does - but they should both be the same data as they are from the same provider. That's why I think it's weird.
I may have completely missed the point here, but a standalone Tom Tom doesn't need to be linked to a mobile phone to access POI data (cameras etc) whereas the Kia unit, as far as I'm aware, most definitely does. That can either be via Mobile Hotspot in the older units or via an inbuilt SIM card and the UVO app in the newer ones. If the unit is not linked in one or other of those two ways, as I understand it, the live POI data will not be accessible, and neither will an older version of it, as it does not appeared to be stored within the head unit. I believe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I surrender and will dip out.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I surrender and will dip out.
Don't do that

This could easily be resolved with a more comprehensive manual from Kia. When they upgraded the Nav, and updated the software, the instructions have not kept up. Not even available online as far as I know.

Meanwhile everyone is left scrabbling around finding out what works for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,217 Posts
Fail to see how a unit that is not connected can give out mobile speed camera locations. As 99.9% of the time they will not be there.
So becomes "The unit that cried CAM, to often"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts