Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sportage x4 bought new last year (just in time for the first lockdown) I have just had the sat nav updated. The new update looks good except for the fact that all speed camera warnings show the correct speed minus 1 (i.e. 19,29,39 etc and the actual speed shows about 4-5 mph slower than the speed on my dashboard. I queried it with the salesman who sold me the car who said the speed warning figures where to make sure that I was aware to keep my speed under the real speed limit. The result is extreme amusement for colleagues that I am giving a lift to as well as frustration to me in knowing which is the true speed I am travelling at. I also notice from other posts mentioning bingbongs if exceeding limit - I have never heard one of these (mind I've only travelled 1700 miles so far - due to lockdowns).
I've got the car booked in to the garage but I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem or is it just me.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Welcome to the forum, 'Fozzie75'.

Isn't what you are experiencing simply the difference between GPS speed and that described by the speedometer? My car's speedo depicts 74mph, for example, when the GPS shows 70. Vehicle speedos invariably describe a speed slightly higher than the true speed as if the reverse were true, the manufacturer could be accused of contributory negligence in any speed-related collision, driver claiming to have adhered to speed limit, when in reality he/she was speeding.

As for the warning sound if exceeding the speed limit on entering a restricted limit stretch, my car does that, which I discovered after my last system update, but does not do it if I have reduced my speed sufficiently before entering the restricted zone.

Forgive me if I have failed to understand the point you were making.

·
Super Moderator
5,415 Posts
I take it you are using the built in navigation & not either Android Auto or Apple Car Play.
Someone else posted about the odd speed limits. Think they did a reset and that put it back to the correct speed limits.

Agree with @Indalo actual speed shown will be the GPS speed, which should be more accurate. So I always err on the side of the speedo, knowing it under reads.
Except when setting Cruise control, then I will set 70 to 72 knowing it is going to be more likely a actual 70.

Reactions: Drwho2

·
Registered
2019 Picanto 1.2 3 auto
43 Posts
I had the latest update a couple of weeks ago and find the same issue with the stated limits being 29/39, etc.
Doesn't really bother me so have just left it.
I don't have it set to show the speed I'm driving at. Just something extra to clutter up the screen.
Prefer to go by the speedo.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,845 Posts
UK law means manufacturers are allowed a 10% plus 6.25 mph error, so in theory you could be travelling at what you believe to be 50 mph, when in reality you are only doing 40 mph. The law also states the speedometer must never under read, i.e. it must never show 40 mph when you are doing 50 mph. The reasoning behind this is to allow for variations in road condition, tyre condition, tyre pressure and also gearbox wear and tear. Generally cars will read 10% over, which means at 30 mph you are probably travelling at 27 mph, at 60 mph you could be travelling at 54 mph.
The speedometer on your sat nav is probably more accurate but it is only there for guidance. As far as I am aware, it is not governed by the same regulations as your speedometer and 'I was using the Sat Nav read-out your honour' would not be a defence in court.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Welcome to the forum, 'Fozzie75'.

Isn't what you are experiencing simply the difference between GPS speed and that described by the speedometer? My car's speedo depicts 74mph, for example, when the GPS shows 70. Vehicle speedos invariably describe a speed slightly higher than the true speed as if the reverse were true, the manufacturer could be accused of contributory negligence in any speed-related collision, driver claiming to have adhered to speed limit, when in reality he/she was speeding.

As for the warning sound if exceeding the speed limit on entering a restricted limit stretch, my car does that, which I discovered after my last system update, but does not do it if I have reduced my speed sufficiently before entering the restricted zone.

Forgive me if I have failed to understand the point you were making.
Hi all

This is my first time on any forum so if I'm doing it wrong just let me know.
What I was really concerned about was the speed limit signs. I just can't see the point in the camera being able to detect a sign and take a picture on the run and show the resultant picture on my dashboard which is difficult enough without then turning that picture into a different picture which is 1 mile an hour less. Someone seems to suggest part or all of both the speed limit and the live speedo on the sav nav can be turned off somehow, if so can someone tell me how also someone else mentioned resetting the sat nav again how - have no instruction manual. Can the manual be download if so does anyone have the url. I don't need to know either the speed limit or the speedo info on the sat nav as (I assume) the correct figures are on my dashboard.
Sorry if I'm being a pain but it really bugs me.
Thanks for your responses.

·
Registered
2019 Picanto 1.2 3 auto
43 Posts
As far as I know there is no ' camera being able to detect a sign' to get speed limits. This will be done through GPS data from your antenna.
Depending on what model sat-nav you have there will be a 'settings' button or icon somewhere on the screen.
Select this and you should find options to disable certain things including speed limit signs and travelling speed.

·
Super Moderator
5,415 Posts
Hi all

This is my first time on any forum so if I'm doing it wrong just let me know.
What I was really concerned about was the speed limit signs. I just can't see the point in the camera being able to detect a sign and take a picture on the run and show the resultant picture on my dashboard which is difficult enough without then turning that picture into a different picture which is 1 mile an hour less. Someone seems to suggest part or all of both the speed limit and the live speedo on the sav nav can be turned off somehow, if so can someone tell me how also someone else mentioned resetting the sat nav again how - have no instruction manual. Can the manual be download if so does anyone have the url. I don't need to know either the speed limit or the speedo info on the sat nav as (I assume) the correct figures are on my dashboard.
Sorry if I'm being a pain but it really bugs me.
Thanks for your responses.
If you have the camera that picks up the speed limit signs (My Niro does) it displays as the sign shows.
Try the reset of the head unit. As per this thread with the same issue.

Gen 5 head unit manual here.

·
Registered
340 Posts
As far as I know there is no ' camera being able to detect a sign' to get speed limits. This will be done through GPS data from your antenna.
Depending on what model sat-nav you have there will be a 'settings' button or icon somewhere on the screen.
Select this and you should find options to disable certain things including speed limit signs and travelling speed.
My Sportage has the factory fitted forward facing camera which picks up the speed limit signs as you drive along and display the speed limit on the SatNav unit. Have the latest maps installed and always displays the correct speed limit which can be changed to kph if you take the vehicle abroad. Very useful as above the speed limit display it also displays the GPS speed in both mph/kph depending which country you are in.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
1) Don't think this is in the correct Sporty forum - it's NOT relating to the 2021 revised Sportage, but last years model.
2) Your work colleagues should be grateful you are observing the speed limits as a slight under reading gives you what might just be the necessary milliseconds to avert an accident you couldn't avoid at a "true" speed.

We live in a village with a 30mph limit, which is what I drive at. Many other motorists think that as long as it has a "3" in the speed, that's fine. No, it isn't - THREE ZERO is not 39 - or what appears to be the standard speed round here of 46 mph regardless of 30; 40 or 60mph signs.

So, yes I know that the speedo is slightly higher than true speed, but does it really matter?
If your mates think being in an accident at 70mph is better than avoiding one at 68mph, perhaps they should travel with someone else :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Had my Sportage sat nav updated and now it’s showing 29,39,49,59,69 mph, tried a button reset and software reset and it’s still the 1 mpg less?

·
Super Moderator
5,415 Posts
Had my Sportage sat nav updated and now it’s showing 29,39,49,59,69 mph, tried a button reset and software reset and it’s still the 1 mpg less?

It will reset back to the correct figures.

Might need to try reset a couple of times.

·
Super Moderator
5,415 Posts
Yep, or failing that a system reset via settings.

·
Registered
Sportage 2017 (67) 1.7 crdi manual
265 Posts
I dont mind it. The dash speedo always says the right speed for the road and I tend to look there rather than the sat nav

1 - 15 of 15 Posts