Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a problem of the Head unit suddenly going blank screen?
This can happen at random times, sometimes when reversing the camera view goes blank, navigation screen goes blank,
This seems to be a random problem and will correct itself and return to normal. Very annoying.
Any help or suggestions will be welcome please.
Dave.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Has anyone had a problem of the Head unit suddenly going blank screen?
This can happen at random times, sometimes when reversing the camera view goes blank, navigation screen goes blank,
This seems to be a random problem and will correct itself and return to normal. Very annoying.
Any help or suggestions will be welcome please.
Dave.
UPDATE:
Well my head unit display has completely gone off now! The radio and reverse sensors still work, but no display. Just flickering white screen.
Any HELP please?
Dave Venga 13 plate sat nav 1.6 diesel.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'm guessing being a 13 plate its out of warranty so if it had a full history up until warranty expired might be worth trying dealer for some goodwill
There are various posts across different models on the forum for failed sat nav units.
Some folks have tried pulling the fuse for the unit to get it to reset / or disconnecting battery overnight . Fuses are behind the drivers kick panel and fuse identification is on the backside of the panel.
If that doesn't work and dealer wants silly money (I think a new unit out of warranty is rather expensive. An example here from 2015 for a Sportage is eye wateringly expensive - broken sat nav screen) then might be worth considering a replacement unit from folks like Kenwood, Clarion. Pioneer etc. Many after market car audio places do them and with a wiring loom that retains steering wheel controls / bluetooth etc. I don't think any do the rear camera though.
You might be lucky and one might pop on Ebay at some point or try a vehicle dismantlers?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good advice, thank you 212vengerman.
Yes we have owned the car from new, used as a second car, serviced by the same KIA dealership for ages. So I will ask if there is any chance of a goodwill contribution. I would like to stay with the standard sat nav unit, to keep the reversing camera. I wonder if it is even still available even at "silly money"?
Anyone know?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Manufacturers are "supposed" to be obliged by EU law to supply spare parts for cars until they are at least 10.
However there is no rule about how much they can charge for those parts ............ :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
4,314 Posts
Well Audio/Sat nav are only 36 month warranty. So that really would be good will.

Have you got a picture of the screen. As a ebay search does not show screen based units for that age venga. Only radio/cd units.
Might be possible if you can get the part no, that it was also used on other Kia models Or hyundai models.

Reactions: LittleDuceCoupe

·
Registered
393 Posts
iooi - it was an available option and my Gen 1 workshop manual does have the pin outs for the sat nav unit as well as the more common radio /cd unit. It was a super rare option though from what I found when I was looking for ours.
It seemed more common on the 2015's when they got to run out before the Gen 2's but we couldn't afford a 2015 at the time.
LittleDuceCoup - There is a Hyundai ix20 head unit on Ebay (from Germany though so there would be VAT brexit tax) - the part number is shown as 96560-1k000 but no idea if this is what you have. The reverse shot is identical for plug location as shown in my workshop manual and the front is identical for button locations etc. As the ix20 was essentially the same car as a Venga it seems feasible it would be the same unit. I have no idea if it need coding to the car.
But at the price being charged, you can probably get a decent aftermarket one that can also play videos when you are parked up and allows dashcam type cameras to be linked in if required.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
iooi - it was an available option and my Gen 1 workshop manual does have the pin outs for the sat nav unit as well as the more common radio /cd unit. It was a super rare option though from what I found when I was looking for ours.
It seemed more common on the 2015's when they got to run out before the Gen 2's but we couldn't afford a 2015 at the time.
LittleDuceCoup - There is a Hyundai ix20 head unit on Ebay (from Germany though so there would be VAT brexit tax) - the part number is shown as 96560-1k000 but no idea if this is what you have. The reverse shot is identical for plug location as shown in my workshop manual and the front is identical for button locations etc. As the ix20 was essentially the same car as a Venga it seems feasible it would be the same unit. I have no idea if it need coding to the car.
But at the price being charged, you can probably get a decent aftermarket one that can also play videos when you are parked up and allows dashcam type cameras to be linked in if required.

212vengerman- I will see what my dealer says. They have been very fair to me over our 8 years of ownership and I will be happy to seek their advice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts