Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 Sportage with the built in sat nav.

No problem for 4 weeks and then I travel to France last Friday and it has completely lost its marbles.

It crashes - freezes - at various times, wether its just the radio or the map or the sat nav. When it crashes the only control that works is the volume - you cant do anything else like change radio stations or switch to map mode or reversecam.

Only way to reset it is to pull the fuse - I am now an expert at doing it on the move!

Just wondered if anyone else has had this problem?

Lloyd

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just an update and a strange concidence?

As per my first post the sat-nav and radio system were unusuable - always locking after a few minutes and then the only way to reset was to pull the fuse - only for it to lock again almost immediately. In the end we gave up and had no radio and no sat-nav.

A couple of times the info system in the speedo reset itself, taking all the trip counter, etc back to zero and resetting the climate control to 23 - obviously the default setting.

All of these problems finally climaxed on Saturday morning when we went to leave and the car wouldnt start! It was trying to but the idiot lights were flashing and the door-locks were locking and unlocking all the time. I left it for a few minutes and then tried again and it started instantly with no problems except all the trips, etc were reset again. However the radio and sat-nav were still locked.

It first locked about 50 miles south of Calais and thinking back just after we lost reception of the UK stations (Radio 4 to be exact). At about 1730 on Saturday evening we picked up Radio 4 again, so I pulled the fuse on the radio and reset it and from that time it has not locked at all! I have tried to make it lock but it is perfect again! It routed us home from that point with no problems. Obviously there is something that is being received in France that is causingthe problem but I dont see how I can replicate it to show a dealer. I spend a lot of time in France and I just know that when we go again in a few weeks I will have the same problem.

I would be grateful if anyone else has been to the continent with this sat-nav system, and also if anyone has an email contact at Kia I could send something to.

Thanks for the help,

Lloyd.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sorry to hear this, the door unlocking could be connected to the radio as when radio powers down it then lets doors unlock.
Would get kia to look at the BCM body control module as this controls Air Conditioning ECU and Instrument Cluster, Hazard warning lights,ignition start all of which you are having problems with.
Can`t explane why it`s only happening in Europe but the bcm stores fault codes so it may have logged faults so worth interrogating.
Keep us posted on how you get on

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I took the car to the local dealer yesterday to check for error messages, but they found none.
They have reported it to KIA technical so I am waiting for their response now.

I have to say the dealer was very good even if they didnt find anything.

Lloyd.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:

Car wouldnt start this morning - same problem, all lights flashing and doors clicking when you try. All trips reset to zero and climate control to 23.

Picked up by low-loader under Kia assistance and now I have no car!

I am a bit disappointed as my previous car, a Focus estate never let me down for nearly 10 years, andafter spending £21K on a new vehicle I have no car! I only got it on 14 Jan and I love driving it but more problems in 2 months with this vehicle than nearly 10 years with the Ford!

Local dealers are good, and talking to Kia on the fone they are good but I have no car!

Not happy,

Lloyd.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Oh no this is not good, hope they get to the bottom of this quickly, keep us posted

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the car back yesterday. Battery was faulty apparantly so it now has a new one.

I will keep you posted - off to France again in April!

Lloyd.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well back to France on Good Friday and yes 50 miles south of Calais the sat nav and radio system started crashing and locking up. Again totally unusable even the radio wont change stations although you can adjust the volume at all times.

When selecting reverse the rear view camera dosnt show either.

I have taken a video of it this time to show the dealer when I get back. I know it will start working again as soon as I get near Calais though! On the basis that nobody else has this problem it must be a faulty unit.

Lloyd.

·
Registered
260 Posts
That sat nav head unit needs some serious updates but I'm gettin bored of bleeting on about it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for posting this, i took delivery of my 3 Nav at 14:00 today, 33 miles on the clock and just had the sat nav\audio lock up on me with nothing except the volume working.... Thanks to your post I pulled the fuse and it's fine again now except for losing my fuel economy data\trip etc.

Makes me wonder why it's the easy fuse in there that's easy to remove..... Will be calling the dealer tomorrow to get it logged in case it re-occurs.

Loving the car though :)

Jon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A quick update on the satnav unit.

I had a new unit fitted yesterday - obviously slightly different software as well - an option to select TMC radio channel which wasnt there before!

Off to France again mid-August so looking forward to seeing if it works ok or crashes again.

Will update after the trip.

I must repeat that it never crashed in the UK - I suspect it was the TMC option that was the problem.

Also had the sunroof adjusted as it was noisy - it is much better but not perfect, ifI put a slight downward force on the front of it when travelling at speed it is silent!

Cant fault the dealer though - friendly and helpful, cant ask for more.

Lloyd.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I went to France and the SatNav unit did not crash! A resultI suppose and the traffic info was quite useful!

Its still not a very good system though and needs serious udpates as mentioned in other threads on here.When you calculate a route with it the arrival time it gives you is not even close - it obviously assumes an average speed of approx 30MPH wether you are on motorays or back roads.

For the record I have checked the software installed and the details are:-

Software: 4.5.7.3

BT: 1.5.0

Nav: 2010.05.15

Firmware: 1.3.0_SL

Lloyd.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts