Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

just a quick question, is there a way to reset the GPS positioning on the 2011 Sportage?

I've been driving with the head unit switched off for a while, then this morning went to use the sat nav, put the destination address in and pushed start, to then realize that my car positioning was a tad off...

I've done a factory reset and that made no difference,
my system version is 7.9.4
Bluetooth version 3.2.2
Nav version EU.11.51.69
Map database version 118E7AB
Firmware version 1.7.3_SL

Look forward to your replies.

Rgds
Rob

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just read on a german forum that one can get into the Techs Section of our system by holding down the settings button for about 5 secs and then hold a finger on the touch screen for about 10 secs.
This indeed worked, then I went onto the Navigation section and found that by the looks of things I am not receiving a GPS signal, well ... it states 2d Satellite = 0.
Looks like either there is a problem with the fuse which looks after the GPS antenna (apparently there is one :-/ ) or the GPS antenna has passed it sell by date, if that is actually possible...
Looking on Amazon the GPS antennas dont seem to break the bank, so might give it a go... Now all I need is a decent instructional video or step by step guide on how to remove my stereo without killing the car completely :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have been trying to find a picture of a healthy Sat Nav, ie the Tech Test screen of the Sat Nav when it is working properly, just for comparison, cant find one :-/

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Blyme...Just phoned a local ICE shop where I live and asked for the price of a GPS arial...they want about 30 odd quid for one, how come on Amazon the go for about a tenner, is there such a difference in quality to these things😲

·
Registered
309 Posts
Blyme...Just phoned a local ICE shop where I live and asked for the price of a GPS arial...they want about 30 odd quid for one, how come on Amazon the go for about a tenner, is there such a difference in quality to these things😲
Potentially yes - The aerial is normally 'active' which means it has electronics built in, hence the need for power to be fed to it. Design of this electronics package can greatly impact on performance, and compatibility. Have you been able to measure, with a multi-meter, if there is any voltage across the cable connection? If not I'd go looking for a fuse first. Have you located your GPS antenna to work out the correct type?

There are quite a few types, as you will have seen on Amazon, coax plug, special plug, mini jack plug and USB types abound so you need to get the right connection.

Your GPS units should normally resolve at least 6 or so sats, often many more. You need a minimum of 3 to give a position but 4 or more is better.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok... For those who have the phenomenon of your sat nav showing your position miles away from where you are... The likelihood is that you GPS receiver/areal has decided to stop working.

I replaced mine today, for my Sporty it required a FAKRA connector. I decided not to replace the original one, that one is still sitting tight on the roof at the back, I placed the new one under the dash, slightly left of the stereo, I now pick up 8 satellites and all is working fine...

Word of warning though... it is one hell of a pain in the backside to pull the dash apart to get to the stereo, glad I dont have to do this every day :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts