Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Ceed Diesel Sportswagon MHEV
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
I have developed an issue with my 2021 Ceed Sportswagon 3.
The sat nav seems to be unable to locate any satellites and is showing the cars location approx 100 miles from home.
I have gone into the nav settings and checked the reception of the satellites, and it constantly is showing 0 available.
Does anyone have any ideas, or is it a trip to the dealers for them to look at it. I am currently using Waze, but even Google maps are not correct when connected to the head unit.
Thanks in advance people ....

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,284 Posts
Hi all.
I have developed an issue with my 2021 Ceed Sportswagon 3.
The sat nav seems to be unable to locate any satellites and is showing the cars location approx 100 miles from home.
I have gone into the nav settings and checked the reception of the satellites, and it constantly is showing 0 available.
Does anyone have any ideas, or is it a trip to the dealers for them to look at it. I am currently using Waze, but even Google maps are not correct when connected to the head unit.
Thanks in advance people ....
When you use Android Auto I Maps 'plugs into' the cars GPS receiver system, not the phone's, which supports your point that the Nav unit sees not satellites. .

GPS receiver problem fault finding starts at the antenna. Poor ground connection or loss of power being first thing to look for. GPS 'patch' antennas are usually active so the electronics at the antenna is the first suspect, or simply a connection cable dislodged at the back of the Nav unit (if you are lucky!)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
New car. It's under warranty get it checked out.
Thanks both.. Car is due to go back in for second service @ 20k, so will get them to check it out and do whats needed.
Incar nav had been working with no issues up till Friday.. May even be able to get maps upgrade out of it as well...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Car has finally gone in today to sort nav issue along with the 20K service, so it will be interesting to see if they charge for the sat nav upgrade like they said they would as its now available as a download.
I still think its a hardware issue as Radiorail said it could be..
Let you know later when I pick it up...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, service done but sat nav still 100 mes out.
Was told there is no available software updates, and they had reset it and for me to try.
I had already pressed the reset button a few times, hence why it went in. Looks like it will have to go back again, so will have to arrange that as need sat nav for work.
Will look on the update site and see what's there.
Personally, think service work was an easy way out, and they are not up to speed on the electronic side of bits...

·
Super Moderator
Niro 2020 HEV 4
7,499 Posts
TBH.
Not sure what screen you have got, but I would not update at the moment due to the known issues many users are seeing.

I would try another dealer on the issue as no satellites showing should be a easy fix.

Reactions: fenegroni

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TBH.
Not sure what screen you have got, but I would not update at the moment due to the known issues many users are seeing.

I would try another dealer on the issue as no satellites showing should be a easy fix.
I have the large 10 inch screen on my Ceed SW 3.

I will keep an eye on the forums as too whats happening with these updates, and will get it booked back in for them to do what it was originally booked in for. May have to try the other local KIA dealers if I have no luck with the closest one...

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,284 Posts
I would totally avoid allowing any update till they can get the GPS location correct on the existing installation/SW.

It should have been correct on the previous SW. The fact that it is wrong to me indicates either a hardware or a Tech/Dealer configuration issue (in the hidden screens).

Updating SW won't fix that and you will be left with the software issues reported in these threads and a still incorrectly positioning GPS system. That complicates fault finding for any competent technician from Kia who will be eventually be needed to fix the issue.

Fault finding mantra - change only one thing at a time - and only then if you can reverse it to the previous state - you can't do that with the current SW management - regression to previous SW is not allowed.

·
Registered
MY21 Stonic GT-Line S ISG MHEV iMT
417 Posts
The engineering menu on my model does show a satellite ‘car position’ calibration button. I haven’t tried it but i wonder if dealers know anything about it.

·
Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
1,284 Posts
The engineering menu on my model does show a satellite ‘car position’ calibration button. I haven’t tried it but i wonder if dealers know anything about it.
It sounds like it might well be! How do you get into Eng. Menu?

·
Registered
Kia Xceed 1.5 DCT
15 Posts
Me and some other people here had a similar problem with our Xceed. New cars and from day one GPS showed wrong location. Some of us managed to fix that with an update. With the new update my car will sometimes not show speed limit (known issue with the update) but at least now I can use the maps. Search this forum for “MY22 Xceed navigation issues” for more

·
Registered
417 Posts
It sounds like it might well be! How do you get into Eng. Menu?
The process is pretty well documented although tends to differ ever so slightly from model to model.
on mine the process involved the volume and tuning knobs press in a certain sequence.
That’s how I found my Stonic has surround sound enabled at the factory.
See here.

BEWARE - if you press the wrong button you might end up bricking the unit so be carefuL!

Engineer Mode (Full Engineering Mode)
  1. Press the Setup button or choose All menus -> Settings
  2. Choose System Info
  3. In a quick sequence set volume using left knob to level 0, then to level 7 and press the right knob, then set volume to level 3 and press the right knob, then set volume to level 1 and press the right knob
  4. Password is 0428 for engineering mode, 2400 for dealer mode.

Reactions: Radiorail

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the reply's all...

The car originally worked all OK with the onboard nav, but I normally use Waze, and after a bit of a jiggle it finds where it is, but still keeps jumping around. As said, Google maps thinks its permanently in Coventry which is where it seemed to stop working after a visit to one of my customers.

Spoke to work yesterday and they now want it sent into the other local dealers for them to look at.
Will let them have a look and see what they can make of it, but will mention the possible aerial issue as its seeing no satellites.

I have the November software update sat on my computer at home, but will hang off loading it until the car has gone in, or maybe not even bother due to the issues..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi guys, latest updates on the ongoing satnav issues..
Car has been into the other local dealers, as work were not happy that the last one did a service, pressed reset and sent me on my way.
I explained the issue before it went in, and they said they were aware of a few instances of the wrong positioning of the car, and they would check a few items. They plugged in and an hour later have told me, they could find no issues, but have suggested that the incar camera could be causing the issue and to move it, reset head unit and go from there..
No updates for satnav software until April next year am being told.
Moved camera and reset and no change, so still thinks I am 100 miles from where I am when at home.
Going to let work deal with this after Christmas now, and let them have the debate with Kia direct I think...

·
Super Moderator
Niro 2020 HEV 4
7,499 Posts
You must be in a bad area for Kia dealers if they can not understand "possible aerial issue as its seeing no satellites" and blame I take it they mean you dash cam. And a reset will fix it....

·
Registered
206 Posts
Get it fixed but in general, I find built-in sat navs to be nuisance rather than help. I use Google Map (or Here Maps/Maps.Me if no internet) which is consistent, always up to date and I can take it to a different car.

·
Registered
417 Posts
@FoggyV poor GPS location could be the result of a bent or loose pin connection in the wiring looms.
To trace it won't be easy, but any workshop with a wiring diagram should be able to test these things.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Get it fixed but in general, I find built-in sat navs to be nuisance rather than help. I use Google Map (or Here Maps/Maps.Me if no internet) which is consistent, always up to date and I can take it to a different car.
The non functioning inbuilt sat nav is causing Google Maps and Waze to throw a wobbly and not function correctly when casting onto the main headunit...

@FoggyV poor GPS location could be the result of a bent or loose pin connection in the wiring looms.
To trace it won't be easy, but any workshop with a wiring diagram should be able to test these things.
I parked next to my cousins 71 plate Sportage after leaving dealers and his is showing satellites, so I think the issue is with the aerial as it stopped working suddenly. The compass also is out as well 🤪

Moved the dashcam to the far left of the screen, and even turned it off for a few days, but no change....

Spoke to garage earlier, and its going back in to have aerial replaced on the roof next.. Hopefully that will fix it this time....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Latest ...
Aerial has been replaced on the roof and the headunit reset on the button..

Drove from the dealers 90 miles north to a customers, and it still is not picking up any satellites and causing both google maps and Waze not to function correctly when displayed on the screen using Android Auto..

Going to have to go back for a 4th visit I think......

1 - 20 of 22 Posts